No announcement yet.

2019-20 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just want what we deserve and have earned at any given point. Right now, being right on the Top25 borderline (in or out) seems about right.

Comment

• NM...read it wrong.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I don’t understand this kind of logic. It’s similar to chanting “overrated” when beating a ranked team.

The only way we can beat Memphis is it they overlook us?
        Don't put words in my mouth. I prefer to fly under the radar. Memphis has a bunch of freshmen who are likely prone to ups and downs (like our own). I'm sure they were locked in and focused against a ranked Tennessee, but could easily see them not put in the same emotion against WSU if we didn't have a number next to our name. Maybe it's worth 5 points, maybe 15, maybe none. Regardless, humans often play up or down to the competition they face.

That absolutely does NOT mean that we couldn't beat Memphis if we were ranked. But we could catch them a bit off-guard.
        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post

Don't put words in my mouth. I prefer to fly under the radar. Memphis has a bunch of freshmen who are likely prone to ups and downs (like our own). I'm sure they were locked in and focused against a ranked Tennessee, but could easily see them not put in the same emotion against WSU if we didn't have a number next to our name. Maybe it's worth 5 points, maybe 15, maybe none. Regardless, humans often play up or down to the competition they face.

That absolutely does NOT mean that we couldn't beat Memphis if we were ranked. But we could catch them a bit off-guard.
          I agree it’s human nature to get more hyped up for certain games/opponents. But I don’t think we’re sneaking up on anyone anymore. Especially not in a conference game played at what should be an insane Koch Arena between what currently look to be the top 2 teams in the conference.

I think hoping your opponent will underestimate you in order to possibly gain an advantage seems like bad strategy. If you’re successful, which I think is the goal for most teams, you’re going to be recognized. Championship caliber teams strive to play the same way against all opponents. So, if we get to where we want to be it’s highly unlikely the other team will be overlooking us.

Comment

• This team is going to spend a significant portion of the next several years ranked in the Top 25. The sooner they learn to deal with it, the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

See also, “I don’t want us to be ranked because we play better as the underdog.”
              I know what you mean. Its great for the program, recruits see it, fans see it and want to get a ticket and watch them play live. Players (I'm guessing) know what the rankings are. They follow the rankings. They are probably ASKED about the ranking(s) especially as it gets closer to a top 10. It can be a distraction. Between school, practice, eating, sleeping, dating, media, weights, travel, study hall, and maybe even family members getting into the mix....the guys probably have plenty going on.

Comment

• We have a lot of psychologists here. Who can predict how 18 and 19 yr. olds will think? Our players just need to learn to deal with success and being in the Top 25 rankings every week is what we should hope for our program, and the sooner it happens, and the sooner our players learn to handle it mentally, the better off the Shockers will be. That is the only path to national respect for the Shockers.

Does anyone here think that Fred would shy away from being a top ranked team? I think he’d welcome the added scrutiny.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                  NET Rankings 12/16/19
                  14 Wichita
                  16 Memphis
                  49 Temple
                  68 Houston
                  69 UConn
                  88 SMU
                  109 UCF
                  110 Cincinnati
                  121 Tulsa
                  127 Tulane
                  176 USF
                  243 ECU
                  https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...paign=trending
                  These results impress me overall. I guess we'll need some data from our first seasons in the American to confirm, but this appears to be the strongest the overall American has been in the non-conference since we joined! For measure:

1. 1/4th of the conference is in the top 50
                  2. 1/2 of the conference is in the top 100
                  3. Over 3/4 of the conference in the top 150
                  4. None over 300! All in the top 250!

Cincy still needs to figure things out overall, but I like the overall picture!
                  Last edited by DocLove; December 16, 2019, 05:27 PM. Reason: can't spell "of" correctly

Comment

• Comment

• Sure you don’t Geoff

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        There's zero doubt in my mind that UNC will get more votes than us. #Booshite

Come on guys!!!!!!!! You have to understand that North Carolina and Kentucky losing last night amount to quality losses. If you are blueblood you are entitled to cheat, you are entitled to lose, and this means that you go up in the rankings. The net score is irrelevant for placement in the NCAA Tournament if you are a 500 blueblood team. Those two losing last night proves that Texas Tech is a top 10 team. Please don't concern yourself with their record but look at the name on the jersey.

Ok I got to go, but I do everything I can to try and help.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                          UNI???? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            ******* is SUCH an important voice ....:)

Comment

• Debut at number 16

"Last week: unranked |
                              Hello, Shockers! Gregg Marshall's team is 9-1 and owns wins over Oklahoma State (on the road) at Oklahoma (at home) as of late. Looking like a viable contender to win the AAC. Impressive bounce-back after a down season -- a season that nonetheless still had 22 wins. And I love this game: VCU (9-2) at Wichita State on Saturday at noon. It's a nice litmus test for both teams, but also an appropriate end-of-decade tilt between two defining Cinderella-types that made the Final Four in the 2010s"
                              There are only four unbeaten teams left and all four of them are ranked by Matt Norlander in his latest power rankings

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

******* is SUCH an important voice ....:)
                                Oh man I was so glad I was sitting down when I read *******'s statement. I almost had a heart attack. You mean somebody is actually going to vote for schools that deserve it based on eye test, won and lost record, and strength of schedule. Imagine that. NOW if the rest of those clowns that vote would try and be fair. "You have to do the right thing even when nobody is looking/"

Comment

Working...
                                X