X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jhook89
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
    Lots of talk about metrics being excuses for losers. Boy were we losers in 2016 then. It's fascinating.
    Exactly. I find it a ridiculous that the same people that were yelling to look at the metrics when we were in the valley and our resume was essentially us beating up on terrible teams are now arguing the opposite because that argument doesn’t benefit the team any more.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    Ok, just to better understand all this, if KU loses tonight at OU, how many spots should Newell increase his ballot for KU based on known metrics?

Asking for a friend. I'll hang up and listen.
    Hold on .. need to consult KenPom

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
    Lots of talk about metrics being excuses for losers. Boy were we losers in 2016 then. It's fascinating.
    I don't think you understand what is being said.

Metrics are great for trying to understand which team is better than another IF THEY HAVEN"T PLAYED each other. Using metrics to justify a losing team as better than the winning team when the metrics are super close is using metrics as an excuse for losers.

In 2016, we weren't getting the opportunity to play the games. KU/Baylor happened this year. Baylor won, Baylor is the better team ... period.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Ok, just to better understand all this, if KU loses tonight at OU, how many spots should Newell increase his ballot for KU based on known metrics?

This is the most rational take of any so far... It fits the context. No?

Leave a comment:

• bleednblackngold
    replied

Winner!

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    Anybody remember that Chicken fan that we all knew, and still do, who recited "It's great for the state when WSU and k-state are good..."

Leave a comment:

• wichshock65
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Shocker_Power
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We would be Vegas favorites over multiple teams that he put ahead of us ... so He's just trying to justify an incorrect position.
    As all pollsters do!

Leave a comment:

• abdullah_sharif
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
    The metrics show Chicken fans are getting their feathers in a ruffle...
    definitely an austin reaves fan tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Kel Varnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Disagree. Coaching and strategies exist for some reason. Is it to win, or to improve metrics? I believe they are linked. I guarantee you Marshall wanted to do what would most help his ranking last week. He has talked about it for a couple of weeks.
    I think coaches want to win by as much as possible. They do that by being efficient, and yes, improving metrics.

Leave a comment:

• Cdizzle
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Ok, it's official. Put me in the category that rates this up there with the dumbest threads in SN history.
    But you've been around since 2005. I know this to be false. Any thread where we're arguing about where WSU is ranked is not a dumb thread, it's a great thread.

Leave a comment:

• ShockingButTrue
    replied
    The metrics show Chicken fans are getting their feathers in a ruffle...

Leave a comment:

• Cdizzle
    replied
    Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Times and score matter for coaching and strategies, but this has nothing to do with the discussion we are having about rankings.
    Disagree. Coaching and strategies exist for some reason. Is it to win, or to improve metrics? I believe they are linked. I guarantee you Marshall wanted to do what would most help his ranking last week. He has talked about it for a couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Kel Varnsen
    replied
    Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I thought particular times and score didn't matter? That would imply wins and losses mattered, or *GASP*, a singular head-to-head game meant something. Nah. That's silly. Shox should have been playing the metrics, which all say intentionally fouling an 80% FT shooter is roughly the worst thing you can do.

It would also mean you had to actually apply that logic to fouling. Like the fact that 10+ seconds is a lot of time to start a possession for intentional fouling, or having 3 players with 4 fouls on the court made it risky, or that UConn was getting a lot of offensive rebounds made it risky. Nah. Just blanket-rule, always foul when up 3 at the end of the game.
    Times and score matter for coaching and strategies, but this has nothing to do with the discussion we are having about rankings.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    Ok, it's official. Put me in the category that rates this up there with the dumbest threads in SN history.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X