Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Bracketology

Bracketology with Joe Lunardi - ESPN

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Teams of Interest
    2-seed Houston
    6-seed Cincinnati
    6-seed VCU
    9 -seed Memphis
    9-seed Oklahoma

Last 4 In
    None

First 4 Out
    None

Next 4 Out
    None

Garbage...

Comment

After seeing several Top 25 rankings and brackets for next season I'm starting to realize most of the media doesn't expect us to make much of a jump. Those folks are seeing 18ppg from Markis and 12ppg Samajae and saying not much to see here. If you really follow this team you know we're returning our best passers, our best defenders, and our best rebounders. This team will improve and Teddy will help with the scoring void left by the seniors.

Comment

Not to mention all the shot opportunities that will open up for others.

Comment

Howdafook is kstate in but we're not even on the next four out radar?

Comment

It's all Bulletin Board material!

Comment

• pie n eye
              pie n eye commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your positivity. I was thinking waste bin material.

Staying under the radar is exactly where we should be.

Comment

This is gonna be a long off season. Sheeesh. Really looking forward to next year. And that’s before Grant signs in a couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                Not to mention all the shot opportunities that will open up for others.
                To be exact, McDuffie and SHJ shot 984 times, an average of just over 25 per game. The next FOUR guys (Echenique, Dennis, Stevenson, and Burton) took fewer shots than that combined. The two seniors also shot just 38.4% between them, vs. 40.8% for the team, with McDuffie matching that team percentage and Samajae pulling it down with his 35.7%, and just 29.8(!)% from three. That means, assuming everyone who can return does so (which, of course, never happens), the Shocks will lose not quite 33% of their minutes from this year -- obviously a dramatic drop from the losses preceding this season -- plus 43%+ of their shots, and just under 44% of their scoring.

So this year's seniors did a somewhat disproportionate amount of the team's shooting (no great surprise), and essentially the same proportion of the team's scoring, but actually didn't shoot quite as well percentagewise as the team did. Therefore, there's at least a reasonable chance, if not more, that next year's Shocks will be a better shooting team. Meanwhile, based on their progress during this past season and normal improvement and familiarization with Marshall's system, WSU stands a good chance of being an even better defensive team than it became down the stretch.

Let them start under the radar and read the motivational material from the pundits who don't seem to expect much. Next year's Shocks should have their opponents right where they want them.

Comment

• Steeleshocker
                  Steeleshocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Actually, the seniors were 2.4 percentage points worse than the team average. Which means the rest of the team actually shot better to pull that average where it was.

• ShockCrazy
                  ShockCrazy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was somewhat disproportionate, but also they played a huge amount of minutes which gives a bit of context to the raw attempts numbers. Also this got me curious on minutes. Markis just played the most minutes in a season since 1976(as far back as I'm guessing they have) and Samajae is second(mostly a product of the number of games but interesting anyways). Markis did play the most MPG since Jason Perez's senior year.

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                  Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, you'd have to remove MM's and SHJ's shots from the team totals and then recalculate a new team average before you make conclusions about how the team could possibly shoot next year.

Preseason rankings are complete rubbish. You can get an idea of how a team might perform based on metrics and how they performed late in the season, and adjust it for new additions or subtractions of players. I can guarantee that in no universe can this guy predict a field of 64 teams next year than he can predict joe-blows next bowel movement. And that's all this is - shite. Nothing else to say on the matter. The players and coaches are ultimately responsible for how the team performs. We are but watchers on the wall. Sorry, getting excited for GoT. :mask:

Comment

It's pathetic that people are still hammering the Seniors following a season that is over. They are gone. Move on to other issues that pertain to next year.

Of course, we will be better next year. Our returning players who struggled early in the year, grew during the year and became good players, and with off-season work will be much improved and prepared to take on the leadership load next year. Additionally, Teddy will take on a leadership role next year, and our recruits who will all need seasoning will take on support roles. While I think that we will be improved next year and will probably compete at the top of the league, and for an at large tournament invite, and should approach as well as possibly reach Top 25 status, we will definitely be at our best in a couple of years.

Comment

The much anticipated "asiseeit" projection for next year has the Shockers in a AAC third place tie
                    playing in the finals of the conference tournament and a nine seed

Comment

• Dan
                      Dan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      reasonable

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    It's pathetic that people are still hammering the Seniors following a season that is over. They are gone. Move on to other issues that pertain to next year.
                    At least now you’re admitting there were issues.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
                      Preseason rankings are complete rubbish. You can get an idea of how a team might perform based on metrics and how they performed late in the season, and adjust it for new additions or subtractions of players. I can guarantee that in no universe can this guy predict a field of 64 teams next year than he can predict joe-blows next bowel movement. And that's all this is - shite. Nothing else to say on the matter. The players and coaches are ultimately responsible for how the team performs. We are but watchers on the wall. Sorry, getting excited for GoT. :mask:
                      I'm not weighing in...I just love the use of the word RUBBISH!:)

Comment

• JVShocker
                        JVShocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I was gonna go with "Balderdash" but didn't want a bunch of Shockernet posters thinking I was living in the 19th century. That and someone might have to go and look up a definition of the word.

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey, you're speaking my language... I remember when old Tom and I were working on the light bulb invention. Unfortunately, he got all the credit. Now we have 'Obama' bulbs... wth?

https://media.giphy.com/media/aljcGvTYiyaJy/giphy.gif

Sorry, I'm senile... maybe wrong thread?

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Of course, we will be better next year. Our returning players who struggled early in the year, grew during the year and became good players, and with off-season work will be much improved and prepared to take on the leadership load next year. Additionally, Teddy will take on a leadership role next year, and our recruits who will all need seasoning will take on support roles. While I think that we will be improved next year and will probably compete at the top of the league, and for an at large tournament invite, and should approach as well as possibly reach Top 25 status, we will definitely be at our best in a couple of years.
                      Why is it pathetic? We are having a discussion about last season vs this upcoming season. Isn’t it relevant to discuss what’s gone vs what’s coming in and coming back? Seems logical to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X