Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Wow. This post needs to go into SN HOF.
    I think I didn’t explain very well. It’s useless to compare last years performances to next year. The extra competition created by having five high level guards competing for play time will require Eric and JB to either step up their game or earn less time. I’m very high on our new highly ranked 4* recruits but I haven’t given up on our returning players or Fernandez. Probably only 4 or the 5 get into the ultimate rotation so either their games are stepped up or they leave. While I like the offense that we’ve added, Eric brings a care less attitude to what happens to his body and a team attitude while JB brings defense and the strength to get to the rim ev n though his shot isn’t there yet.

In conclusion, we will be much better at the guard position next year than this year. But to predict who will get minutes because of this year is an exercise in futility because the cream will rise to the top which won’t happen without the increased competition.

Comment

• JVShocker
      JVShocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Doesn't hurt to predict anything. Gives us stuff to talk about. That or we can all walk away and come back in 6 months. :-)

• choida
      choida commented
      Editing a comment
      It's open try outs every year...I think people are just hedging their bets on the four star recruits living up their four star potential.

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      something UConn has been banking on the last several years

• I predict we get more wins than last year.

Comment

• Barring injuries I think we’re loaded in both talent and depth at both guard spots and center. Of course it remains to be seen how much Burton and Stevenson improve over the offseason and what Fernandes/E10/Sherfield bring to the table. I’m optimistic on both fronts but want to see how everyone looks early next year before I get too crazy (I want to get crazy because I like our guards and centers).

The wing spot may be the determining factor in just how high my expectations get. Personally, I think Dexter/Teddy will make a great combo at the 3/4. At the moment I’m not really concerned about Teddy’s size at the 4 spot but I need to see him actually play. So, the talent is there but the depth is lacking unless Poor Bear can make some strides in the offseason (if the PF spot is even in his future, I don’t know) or Gordon can come in and be an immediate impact as a frosh. I’m not going to count on either and I hope we can bring in one more guy at that position.

I dunno, it’s the off season so I can be as optimistic as I want but I think a return to the NCAA is in the cards. If everything pans out I think a trip to the sweet 16 is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashman View Post
        I seem to be in the minority of thinking here. Everyone sends to think the freshman are going to come in a take away the jobs of JB and ES. JB did struggle in the post season but all he did this year was set the WSU freshman assist record with nearly a 2 to 1 A/TO. Without ES, we lose both the Furman and Indiana NIT games. JB can guard 1-4 and might even be as good as DD on defense, with the exception of the blocked shots. I believe he held Mathews to 1 of 7 in the second half. Im more concerned with his finishing at the rim more so than his 3 point shooting. Once he realizes he's a linebacker playing point guard, and can get ti the rim at will, look out. I think ES just needs to slow down a half a step. Besides RT, he was our best passer to the post. He played much better defense the second half of the season. There is absolutely no-one on an opposing team that is going to punk him. If he can be a constant 38-40% 3 point shooter, along with everything else he does, he will still get big minutes.

Combined, i see 17-20 ppg, 7 apg, 8 rpg with 3 TO. If the three freshman gurads can get playing time in front of these numbers, all that means is the Shocks are going to be scary good next year and the foreseeable future.
        Not disagreeing at all; however, I believe (hope) that some of JB's "struggle" in post season is due to the change from motion to the ball-screen offense in a relatively short amount of time. JB will grow into that offense, but it immediately fit RT and even SHJ better (even is SHJ was reluctant to pass the ball to the roller).

How does the ball-screen compare to the motion for production results? Comparing the regular season performance with the post season, and then with regular season games against the same conference opponents (most recent game) and opponents with similar KenPom Ranking as the post-season opponents (Baylor, Memphis (2) and VCU)

ballscreen.png
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Some wil exceed expectations.
          Some will disappoint.
          Some will get it from day one.
          Some will require patience.
          Some will never be who we hoped.
          As my wife always tells me "until they show me they can do it in Koch Arena in front of 10,000 screaming fans, what they did in high school and juco doesn't mean squat".
          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• 60Shock
            60Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            wusphiash - You have a very smart Wife.

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
          As my wife always tells me "until they show me they can do it in Koch Arena in front of 10,000 screaming fans, what they did in high school and juco doesn't mean squat".
          I agree with mrs wusphlash in that what they have done in high school or juco is not guarantee of success at the D-1 level as has been proven over and over again at WSU and elsewhere.

Not sure it doesn't mean squat. Those pre-WSU performances did earn them a scholarship at Wichita State. So I guess that means something. Now they need to show they can walk the walk.

That said I really like the potential of this recruiting class with Gordon, Etienne, Fermandez, Sherfield and Wade. Whether that potential will be realized only time will tell.

Just as importantly (perhaps more importantly) is our returning players work hard on their games this off-season and continue to make strides.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 18, 2019, 03:56 PM.

Comment

• Oh my my. Here we go!

Comment

• pie n eye
              pie n eye commented
              Editing a comment
              Is it October yet?

• So many players who can play more than one position.

Burton: PG/SF
            Dennis: SG/SF
            Allen: SF/PF
            Wade: SF/PF
            Stevenson: SG/SF
            Sherfield: PG/SG
            Etienne: PG/SG
            Gordon: SF/PF

The only players that can realistically play one position are:
            Ech, Mit, Poor Bear, Udeze: Post
            Fernandez: PG

Flexibility and versatility is the key to contending.

Comment

• I don't quite understand why a traditional 5 can't play 4? Someone help me.

Comment

• 1979Shocker
                1979Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                I could see Poor Bear playing the 4 or 5. In fact, I could see him playing more 4 than 5.

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. Because of IPBC's height/size, he played the 5 pre-college, but has the shot and mobility to play the 4 as well. As we have said here many times, big men usually take longer to develop into a D-I player. If he's learning both the 4 and 5, I expect it will take a little longer to effectively play both.

• Dark Lord
                Dark Lord commented
                Editing a comment
                Can Poor Bear play defense against most PFs?

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
              So many players who can play more than one position.

Burton: PG/SF
              Dennis: SG/SF
              Allen: SF/PF
              Wade: SF/PF
              Stevenson: SG/SF
              Sherfield: PG/SG
              Etienne: PG/SG
              Gordon: SF/PF

The only players that can realistically play one position are:
              Ech, Mit, Poor Bear, Udeze: Post
              Fernandez: PG

Flexibility and versatility is the key to contending.
              On Dennis, I don’t think he can play the 2 in Marshall’s offense as he doesn’t have the handles. OTOH, if Another player has handles at the 3 (Burton or Stevenson) then it matters much less. Also, Stevenson is a 2, except in a pinch.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                Preseason evaluations like preseason Top 20 Rankings are a waste of time.
                actually the Top 25 preseason rankings are very good indicator of NCAA tournament teams for the coming year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I think I didn’t explain very well. It’s useless to compare last years performances to next year.
                  might want to study up a little.

KenPom: When and how freshmen get better, and when you have to wait until next year
                  One of the joys of college athletics is watching players improve over their four seasons. It’s fun to see the player who looked overwhelmed as a freshman become a team leader as a senior. Whether it’s Luke Maye, Admiral Schofield or Justin Robinson, seeing guys grow up is one of the more...

There is probably no money in projecting anything for the incoming recruits until at least we get some overly positive summer basketball reports.

Comment

• Mcduffie, Torres, Dennis, Burton, Mitgard, Echenique, Udeze, Chandler, Jones, Stevenson, Brown were all in the rotation when healthy. Moore couldn’t cut it and Teddy wasn’t eligible.

Comment

• Dark Lord
                      Dark Lord commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Brown and Chandler were not exactly regulars in the rotation. Udeze missed half the season with an injury. So really, Marshall used a 7 or 8 man rotation and would sometimes give a few others a couple of minutes here and there. Playing a couple of minutes does not really equate to being in the rotation.

• Ashockalypse
                      Ashockalypse commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Your in every game you are in the rotation by definition. Those weren’t mop up minutes at the end of the game.

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

might want to study up a little.
                    No Thank you. I have more important things to do with family and kids. Being a couch coach is a nice way to spend a little time but I can see how important it is to you and will amuse myself from time to time with your expert analysis. With the number of posts you’ve given to us, you need it more than I. Lol

Comment

• ShockTalk
                      ShockTalk commented
                      Editing a comment
                      SB Shock has been posting here just a little longer than you. However, you'll find his posting rate is not much different than yours.

I know he has study up as he regularly backs up his comments with info. On the other hand, your off the cuff, holier than thou approach doesn't. Glad you're easily amused. Your condescending post to a long time quality poster shows your colors.

• Shockm
                      Shockm commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve been observing a long time too and I prefer posters like Marty and Royalshock.
                      Thank you. They are true veterans.

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

On Dennis, I don’t think he can play the 2 in Marshall’s offense as he doesn’t have the handles. OTOH, if Another player has handles at the 3 (Burton or Stevenson) then it matters much less. Also, Stevenson is a 2, except in a pinch.
                    He will have to. How can everybody talk about Dennis as our next NBA player...he won't play in the league as a 3. He will play the 2 here at times.

Comment

Working...
                    X