The Official 2019-20 Preseason Thread-Spring Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
    My bittersweet prediction... Sherfield signing is not going to be good for Stevenson... There are only so many minutes at the 1 and 2 spot... 2 4 stars coming in plus a 3 star that 3G might be even higher on... Though Stevenson's defense improved dramatically, he was not very good 2/3rds of the season. Unless he starts living up to the dead-eye shooter reputation he for some reason has, I could easily see a scenario where by seasons end he is 8th-10th in our rotation. Especially if 3G locks down a grad transfer who can play minutes at the 3/4. That just means Allen will eat up more minutes at the 3 and Dennis more at the 2...
    Stevenson has one huge advantage! He will be a Sophomore. Freshman in GM'S system struggle and have growing pains.

Comment

• B1ShockFan
      B1ShockFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Stevenson also has shown that "give it all" attitude.

• We return one reliable 3 point shooter, Dexter. Even Dexter hasn’t shown the ability to get his own shot. We have high hopes that Teddy is a shot maker and the freshmen all look good, but our three point shooting right now should be a major concern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I don’t buy your prediction. Let the players compete for playing time on an equal basis at the Division 1 level instead of making predictions. It’s a crock that you are so smart, you already know who will play when they face each other head to head. COMPETITION makes everyone better. Your prediction s the equivalent of SOCIALIZED Basketball. LOL
      Do you know what the word prediction means? Also, if you have a problem with fans analyzing the roster and making predictions, why are you on this fan forum? Lol I think you are confused by what we are doing here.

Comment

• My opinion is that you are comparing apples to oranges. Until one sees them compete against each other; your information is incomplete. Competing on the same court against the same competition is the only way to evaluate. By mid season we should have enough information to make intelligent evaluations. Preseason evaluations like preseason Top 20 Rankings are a waste of time.

Comment

• rjl
          rjl commented
          Editing a comment
          Does this super hot take come with fries, or are those extra?

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        My opinion is that you are comparing apples to oranges. Until one sees them compete against each other; your information is incomplete. Competing on the same court against the same competition is the only way to evaluate. By mid season we should have enough information to make intelligent evaluations. Preseason evaluations like preseason Top 20 Rankings are a waste of time.
        Wow. This post needs to go into SN HOF.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I don’t think anybody is going to sit. We are going to have 1 redshirt and 12 guys who are all competent and we will always have fresh defenders. That along with team wide improvement offensively will have us consistently pulling away in the second half.

Comment

• Mr. Obvious
            Mr. Obvious commented
            Editing a comment
            12 man rotation isn’t happening. You will see separation and the guys holding the fewest minutes will accept it or move on.

• Ashockalypse
            Ashockalypse commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Obvious you don’t know #%*t. Maybe you didn’t see all the players we played this year. Marshall doesn’t recruit players to sit.

• SB Shock
            SB Shock commented
            Editing a comment
            Kenpom on his podcast has Talked about rotation sizes. IIRC, the rotation size are 8-9 players at most. The outliers are 7 and 10 man rotations. WSU not going to have a 12 man rotation. I think if you look at historically 9-10 at most, and in tough games Marshall shrinks his rotation down to 8.

• "With the addition of Tyson, Noah and Grant, we feel like we could have one of the top freshmen back-courts in the country next year to add to (sophomores) Erik Stevenson and Jamarius Burton," Marshall said. "We'll be still young in the backcourt but very much a talented group that knows how to work and is committed to winning."

This quote from goshockers.com days a lot about Marshall’s expectations for playing time and positions. The absence of Dexter in his mention means, IMO that the above 5 players will play the 1/2 guard. Allen, Dennis, and Gordon will play the wing forward (3/4).
          Livin the dream

Comment

• 1 - JB, 2- ES, 3- DD, 4- TA, 5 - JE or AM. We have several perimeter players capable of
            playing two positions. I think ES starts at SG, goes to the bench to rest and then subs for DD.
            Both GS and TE will probably see duty at both guard positions. I'd like to see NF red shirt and
            come in the following season but he could be a surprise as could TB. Have not written him off
            based on his potential as a scorer. TA and DG at the four with maybe DD sprinkled in.
            Everyone knows the center situation. Our recruiting attention should now be for a big PF/C.
            If we get Wade he adds depth at both 3/4.

Comment

• choida
              choida commented
              Editing a comment
              I think One of Grant or Eitienne will start from day one... Book it

• I seem to be in the minority of thinking here. Everyone sends to think the freshman are going to come in a take away the jobs of JB and ES. JB did struggle in the post season but all he did this year was set the WSU freshman assist record with nearly a 2 to 1 A/TO. Without ES, we lose both the Furman and Indiana NIT games. JB can guard 1-4 and might even be as good as DD on defense, with the exception of the blocked shots. I believe he held Mathews to 1 of 7 in the second half. Im more concerned with his finishing at the rim more so than his 3 point shooting. Once he realizes he's a linebacker playing point guard, and can get ti the rim at will, look out. I think ES just needs to slow down a half a step. Besides RT, he was our best passer to the post. He played much better defense the second half of the season. There is absolutely no-one on an opposing team that is going to punk him. If he can be a constant 38-40% 3 point shooter, along with everything else he does, he will still get big minutes.

Combined, i see 17-20 ppg, 7 apg, 8 rpg with 3 TO. If the three freshman gurads can get playing time in front of these numbers, all that means is the Shocks are going to be scary good next year and the foreseeable future.

Comment

• After watching the ncaa this year I don’t care who plays where. We needs outside shooters that can actually make shots. The success of people that can execute a pick and roll is icing on the cake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashman View Post
                I seem to be in the minority of thinking here. Everyone sends to think the freshman are going to come in a take away the jobs of JB and ES. JB did struggle in the post season but all he did this year was set the WSU freshman assist record with nearly a 2 to 1 A/TO. Without ES, we lose both the Furman and Indiana NIT games. JB can guard 1-4 and might even be as good as DD on defense, with the exception of the blocked shots. I believe he held Mathews to 1 of 7 in the second half. Im more concerned with his finishing at the rim more so than his 3 point shooting. Once he realizes he's a linebacker playing point guard, and can get ti the rim at will, look out. I think ES just needs to slow down a half a step. Besides RT, he was our best passer to the post. He played much better defense the second half of the season. There is absolutely no-one on an opposing team that is going to punk him. If he can be a constant 38-40% 3 point shooter, along with everything else he does, he will still get big minutes.

Combined, i see 17-20 ppg, 7 apg, 8 rpg with 3 TO. If the three freshman gurads can get playing time in front of these numbers, all that means is the Shocks are going to be scary good next year and the foreseeable future.
                If our starting 1 and 2 can’t put up more than 17pts, then I pray to god they’re first-team all defense, or TA and DD and JE are averaging 12+pts each.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashman View Post
                  I seem to be in the minority of thinking here. Everyone sends to think the freshman are going to come in a take away the jobs of JB and ES. JB did struggle in the post season but all he did this year was set the WSU freshman assist record with nearly a 2 to 1 A/TO. Without ES, we lose both the Furman and Indiana NIT games. JB can guard 1-4 and might even be as good as DD on defense, with the exception of the blocked shots. I believe he held Mathews to 1 of 7 in the second half. Im more concerned with his finishing at the rim more so than his 3 point shooting. Once he realizes he's a linebacker playing point guard, and can get ti the rim at will, look out. I think ES just needs to slow down a half a step. Besides RT, he was our best passer to the post. He played much better defense the second half of the season. There is absolutely no-one on an opposing team that is going to punk him. If he can be a constant 38-40% 3 point shooter, along with everything else he does, he will still get big minutes.

This!

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

If our starting 1 and 2 can’t put up more than 17pts, then I pray to god they’re first-team all defense, or TA and DD and JE are averaging 12+pts each.
                    I think that DD, JE and TA are going to be easily in the 12-15 point range each. If the freshman can match last year's freshman guard's production, there is another 20 ppg total. This will put us around the 75-85 range. As the season went on, we saw how much better our defense played. IMHO, 17-20 would be plenty good from JB and ES. Not necessarily playing the 1 and 2

Comment

• just like that *snap* wichita state seems to be loaded and experienced for next year. aac is gonna' be hell next year... a real donnybrook.

Comment

• choida
                        choida commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Look forward to the Memphis games

• another shocker
                        another shocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        oh, yes.. those clowns have one coming right on the nose

• As much as I loved the junk yard dawg Rashard Kelly, and as much as I preferred JB's size and athleticism at point over SHJ, I'm over watching teams play what I now refer to as the reverse box and 1 where 4 guys play man D and the other sits in the middle daring the open guy to shoot. It absolutely kills our offense. I hope JB improves his shooting and shooting confidence because I love his get to the rim ability and size on D, but whoever plays better be a threat outside 6 feet, whether they are a freshman or sophomore, I don't care.

Comment

Working...
                      X