No announcement yet.

The Official 2019-20 Preseason Thread-Spring Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats for those leaving, returning rotation and non-rotation.

returning.png
    returning1.png
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Who’s gonna play, and who’s gonna sit? Depth chart is based on class.

PG: Jamarius Burton, Noah Fernandes, Tyson Etienne, Grant Sherfield
      SG: Erik Stevenson, Tyson Etienne, Grant Sherfield
      SF: Teddy Allen, Dexter Dennis, Jamarius Burton
      PF: Teddy Allen, Dexter Dennis, DeAntoni Gordon
      C: Jaime Echinique, Asbjorn Midtgaard, Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler, Morris Udeze

One scholarship to give...if no one else leaves.

One of the sophomore-to-be centers is likely to redshirt.

Our centers are VERY big! Mostly tall and mostly thick.

We will be small at the 4

I think Burton will spend more of his career as a SF than a PG (provided he stays in Wichita)

Our 1-3 will be mostly interchangeable on defense (1-4 provided we aren’t up against a 6-8 beast at PF).

Our 1-4 are tough nosed dudes!

Battles will be ferocious!

Livin the dream

Comment

• C - Echenique, Midtgaard, Chandler - RS - Udeze
        PF Allen - Gordon

Then it gets a lot harder to predict. There are plenty of talented bodies, but development is a huge unknown

SF Dennis - could be Etienne, Sherfield or Stevenson early and Burton later. Gordon might get a look if he can learn 2 positions.
        SG Stevenson - Etienne, Sherfield
        PG Burton, Fernandwez

If Wade commits it gets easier. Put him at SF behind Dennis. Then the battle is on for minutes at SG.

The challenge this year isn't to see who starts, it's to guess who are the two guys at the end of the bench. 2 guys at every position and 3 guys at Center means 11 guys get minutes and 2 guys get to look at guys in their class or a year ahead of them who are taking the PT.

Burton has this summer to develop a 3-point shot. That's not an easy skill to master over a couple of months. I will think nothing less of him if he can't develop a significant threat from 3.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• shock-it-to-me
          shock-it-to-me commented
          Editing a comment
          I can’t imagine Udeze would agree to redshirt after sitting almost the entire season this year already. Did he play in enough games to rule out
          a medical redshirt for this season?

***edit: he played in 16 games, and the rule says no more than 30%, which would be around 11.
          Last edited by shock-it-to-me; April 17, 2019, 07:15 AM.

• JVShocker
          JVShocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Did FVV have a 3 point shot his frosh year? Maybe a stat guy (or girl) could pull up that info. I'll take JB if he can only half-master a 3 point shot over the summer. He's currently one of my preferred options for taking the ball into the lane. He just has to learn to finish more of those, or at least draw contact. Having a couple of 3 ball makers (from this point on I'm ONLY going to use the word "maker", not "shooter") on the wings will help a lot. He's the most experienced returning point we have. For me, the point is still the most concerning position. Still, with a couple of basketballs and at least one guy rebounding for him, it would be easy to get in 200-300 3-balls in a half hour or so.

• bighouse
          bighouse commented
          Editing a comment
          Fred shot over 40% from 3 his freshman year. Freshman Fred would have been the best 3 point shooter on this last years team

• I don't understand what everyone is freaked out by the 4 spot. TA is going to play 30+ minutes with Gordon coming off the bench when needed. Roster looks legit. Yea, it'd be nice to get another big body, but we're in amazing shape going into next year.

Comment

• asiseeit
          asiseeit commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. If Wade sings, fine, but were pretty set already at the four. My hope is that we
          are very selective and patient to find a difference maker - someone like Blackshear or
          another BIG power guy that can play both 4/5. I think TA will be a nightmare for opponents
          to guard but may be a little deficient playing D against a much bigger PF with paint moves

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          If Wade can only 'sing', we're in trouble...

https://media.giphy.com/media/mc8taJ7B1BrFu/giphy.gif

• The question I have is about Udeze? Did he have the surgery on his shoulder already? I thought I read somewhere they said he was going to have it in the summer.

Comment

• shoxlax
          shoxlax commented
          Editing a comment
          He had it in March, Recovery time puts him playing again late summer after rehab.

I would suggest he watch plenty of video of low block scorers in the meantime.

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Udeze can take a page out of the Dexter Dennis playbook and start working on the opposite hand.

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Given the timeline discussed here for Mo, I'm concerned on just how court ready he will be by the time the season starts. He will have lost approximately 6 months of court and full contact play/practice to his teammates. While they are still in full contact practice, he'll have 3 months to catch up to their 9 months. I'm sure he will have done all he could cardio wise and lower body, but that doesn't help his upper body strength and time lost to actual court work with his teammates and against opponents. Lots of video and working individually on the opposite hand does not make up for all this, not even close.

• My bittersweet prediction... Sherfield signing is not going to be good for Stevenson... There are only so many minutes at the 1 and 2 spot... 2 4 stars coming in plus a 3 star that 3G might be even higher on... Though Stevenson's defense improved dramatically, he was not very good 2/3rds of the season. Unless he starts living up to the dead-eye shooter reputation he for some reason has, I could easily see a scenario where by seasons end he is 8th-10th in our rotation. Especially if 3G locks down a grad transfer who can play minutes at the 3/4. That just means Allen will eat up more minutes at the 3 and Dennis more at the 2...

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          ES has similar Evan Wessel traits; however, ES will be a better shooter.

• rjl
          rjl commented
          Editing a comment
          It's not bad for Stevenson, but it's bad for JB. JB is a PG who can't move to a SG because shooting guards have to shoot. So JB either has to play the PG position or maybe be a slashing SF, unless he joins Erik in the gym and works on his shot all summer.

• choida
          choida commented
          Editing a comment
          Sixth man anyone? Stevenson coming off the bench is best for all parties involved

• ^^^ You are wise beyond your years Steeleshocker!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
          My bittersweet prediction... Sherfield signing is not going to be good for Stevenson... There are only so many minutes at the 1 and 2 spot... 2 4 stars coming in plus a 3 star that 3G might be even higher on... Though Stevenson's defense improved dramatically, he was not very good 2/3rds of the season. Unless he starts living up to the dead-eye shooter reputation he for some reason has, I could easily see a scenario where by seasons end he is 8th-10th in our rotation. Especially if 3G locks down a grad transfer who can play minutes at the 3/4. That just means Allen will eat up more minutes at the 3 and Dennis more at the 2...
          I don’t buy your prediction. Let the players compete for playing time on an equal basis at the Division 1 level instead of making predictions. It’s a crock that you are so smart, you already know who will play when they face each other head to head. COMPETITION makes everyone better. Your prediction s the equivalent of SOCIALIZED Basketball. LOL

Comment

• Stevenson has a lot going for him. He is smart and works hard and that will earn him playing time.

With that being said, he will absolutely be pushed by a couple of incoming guards who also have high basketball IQ's and superior talent. This should make all three better.

This program will be ripping out the souls of many opponents for years to come.
            The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I don’t buy your prediction. Let the players compete for playing time on an equal basis at the Division 1 level instead of making predictions. It’s a crock that you are so smart, you already know who will play when they face each other head to head. COMPETITION makes everyone better. Your prediction s the equivalent of SOCIALIZED Basketball. LOL
              That's what he said. It is nothing more than his prediction.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                ^^^ You are wise beyond your years Steeleshocker!!!
                Instead of a threat to someone, 3 solid freshman guards makes me think that one of those guards will eventually redshirt a year.

Comment

• Another thing to consider is the possibility that at least one of the four guards will not be here 4 years

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                    I don't understand what everyone is freaked out by the 4 spot. TA is going to play 30+ minutes with Gordon coming off the bench when needed. Roster looks legit. Yea, it'd be nice to get another big body, but we're in amazing shape going into next year.
                    Teddy is undersized to play 30 minutes at the 4. He will play 3/4. You can't count on Gordon as a freshman to be dependable, look at this past year with freshmen. We NEED a juco or transfer 4 to be AMAZING.

Comment

• My question is why does someone with such high BBIQ take half his 3 point shots five feet beyond the three point arc? Seems like a low BBIQ play to me...

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                        Another thing to consider is the possibility that at least one of the four guards will not be here 4 years
                        I have to agree. No predictions on who will be unhappy, as all of the guards are talented with WSU play angry flavor, but it is likely that someone will feel that their best play is elsewhere.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Or there is always the possibility one could leave early for the NBA. :)
                      Working...
                      X