The Official 2019-20 Preseason Thread-Spring Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    To my way of thinking Torres is about #4 on the list of potential transfers, and two of the guys ahead of him might leave by their choice, and not Marshall's.
    NO TEASING!!!!!:)

Comment

• shouldn't unnecessarily stir the pot. as for RT I think it will be HIS decision. JB's solid defensive
      play, size and strength gave him the advantage he needed to start. 2-3 newcomers will be added
      to the PG competition this fall and GM will likely give them opportunities early to play which will further
      limit RT's court time. what i'd really like to see is for DG to grow an inch and 20 Ibs, ES TWO inchs,
      and DD one. i've seen where some people think ES will grow 2-3 inches. I will keep repeating over
      and over again - our perimeter shooting will be better this coming season and the ball will move better.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
        Has anyone seen the report he was going to submit, or a link to it? I checked on @kansasdotcom and didn't find it.... I'm anxious for some recruiting news/updates!

Comment

• When's the next overseas tour?

Comment

• WuShock16
          WuShock16 commented
          Editing a comment
          Summer 2020 at earliest

• GreatWhiteBuffalo replied to my post #101 on this thread: "
        His ridiculous turnovers in the last two games cannot be glossed over by those numbers. His minutes were greatly reduced, he couldn't score, and he was still turning the ball over. His forced turnovers late in the Lipscomb game were freshman-level mistakes."

RT's minutes had been greatly reduced over the last 23 games when he became the backup to Burton. He had only 5 games in that stretch where he played more than 15 minutes. In the other 18 games he averaged 8.33 mpg (he averaged 10.48 mpg in all 23). Yet, he still played 10.5 mpg in the NIT.

I guess we need to cantact the official scorers so they can correct their mistakes regarding RT.

I might take the time to review those last 2 games, but the scorebook doesn't agree. I'm also not going to lay the loss to Lipscomb on 1 player. The scorebook says he had 1 turnover against Lipscomb and none against Indiana. He did have 2 TOs in each of the first 2 games of the NIT.

His line for the 4 NIT games : 42 minutes (10.5 pg), 4-10 FG (including 0-3 in the last game), 2-2 FT, 7 assists, 5 turnovers, 7 rebounds, and a steal.
        Burton for the 4 NIT games: 92 minutes (23.0 pg) 6-17 FG (including 3-6 in the last game), 2-2 FT, 14 assists, 10 turnovers, 8 rebounds, and 2 steals. Where's the outrage for him?
        How about JE in foul trouble and fouling out playing only 18 minutes the last game. We could have used his scoring in 5 or 6 more minutes of play. His 4 points against Indiana wasn't much help either.
        Bad shooting? How about senior SHJ shooting .292 while throwing up 12 shots per game in the NIT. 9 assists and 11 turnovers for a guard.
        Of course senior MM had nothing to do with that last loss. 4-15 FG / 1-6 3pt. MM had 1 assist for the whole NIT.

Comment

• I think you’re missing the point here. RT lost the starting point guard spot to JB, someone who was never even thought of as a point guard. We had to find someone that could do something at that position. And the only reason RT’s minutes went up in the NIT was because JB was soooo baaad in the NIT, not because RT was that good. Somebody had to play the position.

Comment

• You want to have some fun. How did Wichita State take Torres from one of the best Junior College point guards and turn him into what he became at Wichita State. He didn’t improve, he seemed to get a lot worse, IMO. How did that happen?

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              His shooting was bad from the beginning and, as it got in his head, most likely had an affect on his overall play. He did improve A/T ratio from 2.00 in the first half of the season to 3.33 the second half (that's getting into FVV territory).

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              My opinion is that his lack of size and strength were much more of a factor than anticipated and it looked to me like the D-1 defenses really had him sped up trying to get his perimeter shots off and he simply was never able to adjust. Whether he can adapt and improve significantly next season is hard to say. I wouldn't put much of a wager on that happening although it could.

• choida
              choida commented
              Editing a comment
              Bad fit... Next question

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
            I think you’re missing the point here. RT lost the starting point guard spot to JB, someone who was never even thought of as a point guard. We had to find someone that could do something at that position. And the only reason RT’s minutes went up in the NIT was because JB was soooo baaad in the NIT, not because RT was that good. Somebody had to play the position.
            Really? Yes, RT lost the starting PG spot to JB, but the rest is not true. JB played the PG in high school for the #1 ranked (largest classification) in North Carolina and was the MVP of the high school post season tournament. He did this after missing his entire junior year to injury. He was WSU's PG "in waiting".

RT's minutes did not go up in the tournament. They stayed the same. He averaged 10.48 minutes over the last 23 games and played 10.5 mpg in the NIT.
            Last edited by ShockTalk; April 9, 2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• My recollection for JB replacing RT as a starter is that we were having too many turnovers
              and Ricky was being handled by bigger, physical players. JB had the strength to keep these physical players at bay with his strong physical 6’4” frame.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                You guys keep making me check my recollection of things as I thought it was different than that. RT did have a difficult time guarding bigger, stronger and/or quicker opponents. He's 3pt shot was also nonexistent. He was not having a difficult time (generally) running the offense or shooting inside the arc.

He had 2 bad turnover games against S. Miss (game 10) and VCU (game 12) where he had 8 assists, but 13 turnovers. That type of problem did not happen in the 9 games before that (which included Providence, Alabama, Baylor, and OU) where he had 20 assists and only 5 turnovers. After the VCU game, he had 8 assists and 0 turnovers against Memphis. He became JB's backup after the 14th game.

During those 14 games where he played better than 22 mpg, he had 45 assists and 22 turnovers including the 2 bad games. He was 37 assists and 9 turnovers in the other 12 games. That's better than 4 to 1 ratio.

As I said, he shot horrible from 3 at 2-28. However, he was 17-24 inside the arc.

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
                GreatWhiteBuffalo commented
                Editing a comment
                ShockTalk said: "As I said, he shot horrible from 3 at 2-28. However, he was 17-24 inside the arc."

And for the season he was 4-45 from from beyond the arc. FOUR MADE THREES. Inexcusable for anyone. Echenique was 12/31 for crying out loud! IPBC was 3/9. Torres should be able to easily hit more treys than the WSU Centers. I get it, you like him and want everyone to not say mean things about him. The fact of the matter is he is a game-manager QB, to use a FB analogy.

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                GreatWhiteBuffalo , for me, anyone can say whatever they want about a player and that's just fine as long as what they say is true. I'll back any player regardless of how much I may or may not like him if untrue facts are being thrown around to make a poster's point. The comment here was that 1 of the 2 points were not true. I simply gave the facts for the time period in question (the period before JB took over as the main PG).

RT was NOT a bad 3pt shooter before coming here, in fact, quite the opposite. We all know that HCGM wants who he considers his 3pt shooters to shoot when open and RT was use to taking those shots. What is inexcusable is a historically bad 3pt shooter taking that many shots. It's unfortunate for RT and the team that he shot so unsuspectedly poor. I'm certain RT feels as bad as anyone. I'm sure one could use the same analogy about Steve Sax's funk regarding his throws from 2nd to 1st. I wonder how many NBA non-big men could not hit 3s as well Dirk Nowitzki. Guess they shouldn't have been playing in the NBA.

If you looked at my recent posts on RT you will see that I said that he basically became a "hold the fort" PG after JS took over. So, see, we can even agree.

• We need a 1 or 2 guard who can score. Sherfield can fit that mold, Burton might be able to. Torres will not, and Etienne also might. We need a sure thing.

Comment

• After watching Wichita State’s late-season run to the semifinals of the NIT, 2019 WSU signees Tyson Etienne and Noah Fernandes are excited to play for Gregg Marshall and the Shockers.

Comment

• A couple things we have to remember with first-year players. The first thing they are taught is defense. After that they work on defense. When that's done they work on defense. Then they get into rebounding drills.

Second-year players don't need as much work in those areas, so they get to spend more time working on their offensive game. Summer allows time to get back to some basics of shooting without the distraction of learning defense and a sophisticated offense.

If you remember 10 - 15 years ago when SIU was really good, they played defense but they couldn't throw a beach ball into the ocean. Their offense consisted of passing the ball around for 25 seconds, then giving it to the best perimeter player to see what he could come up with as the shot clock ran down. That's what can happen with a team that wins game by emphasizing defense. It's especially tough with (and for) a lot of first-year players.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I wasn't sure where to put this if it has already been posted my apologies.

UCF guard Aubrey Dawkins leaving early, entering NBA Draft pool

Comment

• This weekend we host Combo guard Grant Sherfield and Juco forward Trey Wade for official visits. I believe that we will try and add both of them. If we do, we should be very, very good next season. We will be two over on scholarships however.

Comment

• Shock Top
                        Shock Top commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I said 2-3 would be added and I had in mind who’d they’d replace. So far, it’s looking like that could be playing out.

• I believe 3G may have dropped a nugget in his coaches show when he was talking about the Daishon Smith transfer. He spoke about how Daishon was gonna play his senior year behind a sophomore (Shamet) and he was able to leave, sit out a year to get better and then had a a great senior year that will springboard into a professional contract somewhere. He was really proud how Daishon used a bad situation and turned it into a positive. Foreshadowing for Torres? He could certainly use a year off to get better/stronger and play in a system better suited for his skills, especially if he has any aspiration of trying to turn it into a career.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You make very good points.
                    Working...
                    X