• Show
Clear All

Any pregame parties near MsG?

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Approximately Two Hours Prior to the Semifinal NIT game

Join the Wichita State Alumni Association, Shocker Spirit Squad, Shocker Sound and fellow Shocker fans for a pre-game social at TÍR NA NÓG. Get your Shocker Swag and join us as we prepare to cheer on the men's basketball team to victory! Food and beverages on your own.

TÍR NA NÓG
      PENN STATION
      254 WEST 31ST STREET
      NEW YORK, NY 10001

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      NIT T-Shirts...

SHOCKERS, the WSUAA has the perfect T-shirt for you as we prepare to cheer on Wichita State in the NIT Final Four in NYC at Madison Square Garden!

The shirts are ON SALE NOW at the Woodman Alumni Center on campus.

The Woodman Alumni Center is open from 9 a.m. through 5 p.m. weekdays.

For WSUAA members, the T-shirts are $15 each; nonmembers, $20.

There is a limited supply, Shockers, so drop by the alumni center as soon as you can!

If you're an out-of-ICT Shocker and would like one of these T-shirts, please email Stacy.Shanahan@wichita.edu to order; there will be a $5 shipping charge for domestic orders, and shipping charges will be determined on a case-by-case basis for foreign orders. SIZES: S, M, L, XL, XXL, and a few XXXL.

If you are in NYC, Courtney M. Marshall, WSUAA president and CEO, will have them for sale at the Pre-Game Party at TÍR NA NÓG just across the street from The Garden two hours before the Shockers take on the Lipscomb Bisons in NIT semifinal action.

So yesterday, Nashville media and Twitter exploded with news of Rick Byrd retiring. Backstory: Belmont and Lipscomb are about 1.5 miles apart on the same road in Nashville. We've been archrivals since the NAIA days, when both schools were powerhouses. Belmont went D1 first, Lipscomb followed a few years later. Byrd has coached since the NAIA days.

(Side note: I wonder if any other coach ushered a school from NAIA to Division 1, all the way to winning a NCAA tournament game. It's probably happened, but that's pretty impressive.)

Anyway, a few years back, when Lipscomb's current coach, Casey Alexander, was hired, some diehards had a hard time swallowing it. Alexander played for Belmont and started his career as an assistant under Byrd. We all swallowed our pride, and we're glad we did – he's a heckuva coach. Now his alma mater job opens up, his mentor is retiring, and everyone is assuming Belmont will hire him out from underneath us.

Who knows – I'm certain he's getting a call, but Belmont also has a longtime assistant who seems to be in line for the job.

Either way, tough break that Byrd announces this the day before the NIT semifinals, and everyone seems to be wondering if this is Lipscomb's last run with Alexander.

I'd had to lose him, but I hate it almost as much for the potential distraction.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      Saved me from saying it AndShock.

I don't know what the pay is in Lips' league but if Alexander is on any national radars, Belmont is the least of your worries. We pay our coach almost 4 million a year and people still speculate when he's leaving...

I mean... we're no Duke, but on that one night... we we're louder... :cool:

T

...:cool:

• NashvilleGuy
      NashvilleGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points. I was surprised Vandy wasn't interested in Alexander, to be honest.

He has kids in local schools, and he may want to stay in town at least until they graduate in a few years. This is all guesswork, but I think he'd go from ~$400k to ~$750k from Lipscomb to Belmont. Both are private schools, though, so that info isn't in the public domain.

• Kung Wu
      Kung Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Can Lipscomb counter and be within ballpark, or would they have to sell cattle to pull it off?

Originally posted by NashvilleGuy View Post
    (Side note: I wonder if any other coach ushered a school from NAIA to Division 1, all the way to winning a NCAA tournament game. It's probably happened, but that's pretty impressive.).
    Because there is a connection to Gregg Marshall on this one, I can tell you one. John Kresse was a longtime coach at College of Charleston (with GM as an assistant for several years). Charleston was NAIA for a long time before transitioning to NCAA Division I. In 1997, Charleston knocked off Maryland before losing to eventual champion Arizona.

78-65

Comment

ESPN's BPI says Lipscomb has a 67% chance to win the game...for whatever that's worth

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
        C0|dB|00ded commented
        Editing a comment
        It ain't worth much...

T

...:cool:

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
      ESPN's BPI says Lipscomb has a 67% chance to win the game...for whatever that's worth
      The past 3 opponents have had 80%+ chance to win according to the BPI. So, according to that this is our best shot we have had to win.

I dont put too much stock in those numbers in a one-and-done tourney though.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

RH: Another Fast-Paced Challenge

So it seems pretty clear that the Lipscomb game boils down the ability of the improving defense of the very young Shockers vs the high octane, fast-paced, efficient offense of the very experienced Bisons.

Comment

RH: Many Bites at the Big Apple

Sully looks at the history of the Shockers in the NIT and lists what he sees as the Top 10 moments.

The one that caught my eye was No. 6 - Wichita State's Warren Armstrong scored 24 points and grabbed 24 rebounds in a 1966 90-84 overtime loss to New York University at Madison Square Garden. It remains tied with Levingston (1980 vs. UTEP) for program's high points NIT game.

Holy crap. 24 points and 24 rebounds from a 6-2 guard who was just as good (if not better) as a passing and assist man as he was a scorer and rebounder. In fact, the annual assists award that has been given at the end of the season is named the Warren Armstrong (Jabali) Assists Award. Would love to be able to see a replay of that game.

Warren is 1 of only 2 Shockers to have 4 triple-doubles along wth Gene Wiley. Warren's were are points, rebounds and assists and Gene's were all points, rebounds and blocked shots. Dave The Rave had 1 career triple-double, Terry Benton had 1 and Fred Van Vleet had one (all points, rebounds and assists). 2 post men, 1 shooting forward and 2 guards (the top 2 assist men in Shocker history). Fred's triple-double was 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists against Missouri State in 2015. Warren's averages in his 4 triple-doubles were 24.8 points, 16.3 rebounds and 11.0 assists against Southern Illinois, Arizona State, Memphis and Loyola. When this guy was on he was spectacular. BTW, Gene's averages in his 4 triple-doubles were 15.8 points, 16.8 rebounds and a mind-boggling 12.3 blocks against Purdue, Santa Clara, Tulsa and Louisville. Gene is perhaps one of the more underrated players in Shocker history.

Any way back to the main programming.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
            WSUwatcher commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, 1972, I believe Armstrong was a 6-2 forward, a shorter Charles Barkley.

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually, I believe he was more of a 6-2 freak.

Bison Offense = 65
          Shockers Defense = 75

Go Shockers!!!

:wsu_posters::wsu_posters:

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
              I hate Pepsi.
              when I was 12 (in the late 70's), I asked for an received 1 share of Pizza Hut stock. A few years later PepsiCo bought pizza hut. After 10+ stock splits and 40+ years of dividend reinvestment, I still own the stock. Needless to say, I am a fan of pepsi!

Comment

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Curious what that 1 share is worth now

Shox win by 12

Comment

Working...
              X