WSU Versus Lipscomb Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus Lipscomb Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Here's the deal. Let's rewind back to memory lane to the last NIT Garden Party the Shocks played in and won. Hatch was MVP and Stutz was tough in the clutch. This win set the stage for the Shocks as they then played in 7 Dances in a row which included a Final 4 appearance. Fast forward to this rebuilding Season to when the Shocks were 1-6 in the AAC. The Shocks finished strong, made the NIT again, and have defeated a 1, 2, and 3 Seed team which never had achieved before in the NIT. So far, so good. 3 down and 2 to go and now at a neutral court.

So enter the Bisons of Lipscomb who defeated the NC State Wolfpack 94-93 in a nail biter. Garrison Mathews only had a career high of 44-pts. Yipes, Stripes, Beechnut Gum as WStateU would say. Kenny Cooper scored the final 5 dagger points down the stretch. This team plays in the Atlantic Sun Conference, are coached by Casey Alexander, and they are now 28-7. We won't refer to them as Cinderella because they are a 5 seed and our beloved Shocks a 6 seed. This team returned their top 6 scorers from last Season which explains why they are having success.

DD will prolly get some time guarding 6'5" Garrison Mathews to hold this 44 point game back down to a mild roar. Scoring even close to 44 on Dennis, who can be a defensive menace, is like trying to pull hens teeth. Getting MM back home to end his Shocker career was finer than a frog hair. The Shocks now pursue an encore win against another hot team followed by a grand finale' win for the Ship on April 2nd and 4th. A wise SN Board always taught me that still playing in April is groovy. This beloved Shocker squad will give it their all and hustle for 40 minutes. If we execute, we can pull these off, one at a time. No matter what, we will have more stories to share on SN than the Empire State Building. From on top of it years ago, I was so close to Madison Square Garden, but never went in for a visit. This will be a 7 point win for the Shocks as we slow down the roll of the Bisons. After all, we beat UCF who gave Duke a huge scare and had a great chance to beat them. I still want to see 3G draw up the basketball version of the Statue of Liberty football play. We can say just how proud we are for this Shocker squad fighting through some adversity of losses and getting to this Final 4. Three down and two to go for the National NIT Ship. Ending the Season with a win is a feat that next to no teams accomplish. The Shocks have an opportunity to do this again as so the last time they played in the NIT.

Bisons 70

Shocks 77
    Last edited by forevershockerfan; March 28, 2019, 07:19 AM.
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

I don't care how or by how many. Only that we end the season with a W. #GOSHOCKERS

Comment

Mathews (one T), is:

14th in the country in 3 point field goals

Last year was:

12th in the country in free throws
      9th in the country in free throw attempts
      17th in the country in points per game
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• DUShock
        DUShock commented
        Editing a comment
        The kid is a Baller.

Lipscomb is scoring a higher average of points this year versus last year at 84.0 versus 82.1.
      But they really improved their defense and are allowing less opponent points 70.1 vs 77.7.

Last year they won their conference tourney and got their ticket punched to the dance, but lost to North Carolina in the first round 84 to 66.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        Mathews (one T), is:

14th in the country in 3 point field goals

Last year was:

12th in the country in free throws
        9th in the country in free throw attempts
        17th in the country in points per game
        We got a 3G Coaching and Shocks are playing against a 1 T Mathews but he is no 1 trick pony. While burning the midnight oil, I spelled it right the first time and added a T the next and did not catch that in my editing until just now. TY for these stats info you found for us Kung Wu.
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't we seen guys like this before? Colt Ryan comes to mind

Just win. This team has some good wins!
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Common Opponents

SMU - Lipscomb won by 6 at SMU
          Davidson - Lipscomb by 8 in the NIT
          Clemson - Clemson by 17 (@ Clemson)

Comment

• Dan
            Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            That Clemson game is telling. They play a lot more like us - tough D and sufficient O

I posted this in the Dexter thread about Mathews

"Without a doubt his game against NC State was impressive. The other games weren't as much.

NC State Game - 14/24, 8/13 from 3, 44 pts
          UNCG - 6/17, 3/11 from 3, 23 pts
          Davidson - 4/12, 1/6 from 3, 14 pts.

He's going to get his points, but against the higher level teams, he's normally a volume shooter.

SMU - 36%
          Belmont - 33%
          Louisville - 35%
          Clemson - 33%
          Liberty - 32%
          Davidson - 33%
          UNCG - 35%"

While we need to guard him, we can't sell out completely on him. We want him to take tough shots because he wants to take them. Just have to make him shoot a low percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post

We got a 3G Coaching and Shocks are playing against a 1 T Mathews but he is no 1 trick pony. While burning the midnight oil, I spelled it right the first time and added a T the next and did not catch that in my editing until just now. TY for these stats info you found for us Kung Wu.
            Actually I didn't see you misspell it! I saw lots of others misspell it in other threads. HAHAHA

Comment

How is this team only a 5 seed in the NIT? They have some good wins and almost all their losses are really close against decent teams. This looks to be our toughest test yet. Their strengths seem to be 3 pointers and getting to the line, both of which are not the strengths of our defense. They also have more depth than our last 3 opponents. Our advantage again looks to be inside, where they start 2 6'7"-6'8" 210 pounders. They do have a tank, 6'9" 277", that comes off the bench and plays a decent number of minutes. I'd expect to see him play more this game. Was surprised by the size of their guards. Their point is 6'0", but it seems the other 5-6 guards they play are all around 6'5".

Seems like another game where we pound it inside. If we get their tank in trouble they will have no one who can handle AM and JE's size. We HAVE to avoid fouling. Mathews shot 11 in thier win at NC State.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                How is this team only a 5 seed in the NIT? They have some good wins and almost all their losses are really close against decent teams. This looks to be our toughest test yet. Their strengths seem to be 3 pointers and getting to the line, both of which are not the strengths of our defense. They also have more depth than our last 3 opponents. Our advantage again looks to be inside, where they start 2 6'7"-6'8" 210 pounders. They do have a tank, 6'9" 277", that comes off the bench and plays a decent number of minutes. I'd expect to see him play more this game. Was surprised by the size of their guards. Their point is 6'0", but it seems the other 5-6 guards they play are all around 6'5".

Seems like another game where we pound it inside. If we get their tank in trouble they will have no one who can handle AM and JE's size. We HAVE to avoid fouling. Mathews shot 11 in thier win at NC State.
                They also beat the number 1-2-4 seeds on the road to get here. Mirror of us.

Comment

I almost wish they would rebracket us so we would have a chance to meet them in the finals after we beat Texasssss

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ShhhhhaaaaaKKKKKAAAAAAA!!!!

Opening line from Vegas has Lipscomb as the 2 point favorite.

Comment

• choida
                    choida commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wouldn't want any other way honestly

• Maizerunner08
                    Maizerunner08 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don’t mind. WSU has always thrived as the ‘dogs.

Welp looks like we will be wearing yellow again!

Comment

WSU at the buzzer. ES makes a fade away 3 for the win.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Duff and SHJ fouled out?
                  Working...
                  X