No announcement yet.

Samajae Haynes-Jones Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just happy to see a local kid do well and live out his dream.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Bluzrover
      Bluzrover commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hoping there's another couple of local kids who will live out their dreams in a Shocker uniform, and sooner rather than later!

‘Definitely a blessing’: Wichita State basketball alumni Samajae Haynes-Jones returns home from Australia amid pandemic - KSN

by: Taylor Rocha
    Posted: Jun 5, 2020 / 10:13 PM CDT / Updated: Jun 5, 2020 / 10:25 PM CDT

https://www.ksn.com/sports/shockers/...amid-pandemic/

"In the middle of March, like many basketball players around the globe, Wichita State Basketball alumni Samajae Haynes-Jones was out of a job. His basketball season with the North-West Tasmania Thunder Basketball Club in Australia reached an abrupt end.

As COVID-19 concerns spread across the globe, Haynes-Jones’ biggest priority was returning home amid the pandemic.

“I was going to have to stay for like a month, but when they said they might close down Australia borders, I had to get out of there fast,” said Haynes-Jones.

Two days later, he was on a flight back home to Wichita.

“There were a lot of people on my flight, 900-plus people,” estimated Haynes-Jones. “I had to make sure I was all covered up and stuff, but I made it back here safely. It was definitely a blessing.”

Now, his future in the game is in flux.

“Me and my agent, we talk about 2 times a week,” shared Haynes-Jones. “There are plenty of teams right now in Europe that ask about me, but we don’t know when with the times, when things are going to start opening back up.”

“Whenever it happens, it happens,” said Haynes-Jones."

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      ‘Definitely a blessing’: Wichita State basketball alumni Samajae Haynes-Jones returns home from Australia amid pandemic - KSN

"In the middle of March, like many basketball players around the globe, Wichita State Basketball alumni Samajae Haynes-Jones was out of a job. His basketball season with the North-West Tasmania Thunder Basketball Club in Australia reached an abrupt end.

As COVID-19 concerns spread across the globe, Haynes-Jones’ biggest priority was returning home amid the pandemic.

“I was going to have to stay for like a month, but when they said they might close down Australia borders, I had to get out of there fast,” said Haynes-Jones.

“There were a lot of people on my flight, 900-plus people,” estimated Haynes-Jones. “I had to make sure I was all covered up and stuff, but I made it back here safely. It was definitely a blessing.”

“Me and my agent, we talk about 2 times a week,” shared Haynes-Jones. “There are plenty of teams right now in Europe that ask about me, but we don’t know when with the times, when things are going to start opening back up.”

Good player. Better person.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

Great Person but needs to work on his estimating skills. "There were a lot people on my flight, 900-plus people"

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXJOCK View Post

Great Person but needs to work on his estimating skills. "There were a lot people on my flight, 900-plus people"

Is that really what you got out of his statements regarding his travels from Australia to America during a pandemic? I doubt it and suspect you are probably being a lttle "snarky" (whatever your term is for having a little fun at Samajae's expense), but what I take from his statements is that being in Australia and having to fly to America during a pandemic is a harrowing experience and he was full of anxiety during the tremendously long flight where LOTS of people are cooped up in a small space with no way to escape it. You are correct about his estimating skills but he surely was exaggerating, not estimating and that may say more about the written article than his estimating skills. Samajae was lucky in that, Australia most likely has a very good health/hospital system which could take care of him if the worst happened. I had a friend's daughter who was stuck in South America in a country where their health system had collapsed. They were no longer taking people into the hospital, but were instead sending them home with an oxygen tank to assist their comfort during breathing difficulties to most likely die (unless a miracle happened in their case). Many people may not realize, but it's pretty scary to be in a foreign country during this time.

We are lucky to be in America during this time. America may have overreacted to the pandemic, or maybe not. it can be argued either way, but in the countries without a good health system, this pandemic is likely frightening.

Comment

A380's (which is one of the primary US to Australia aircraft) has a rated capacity of ~850 in a single cabin configuration. As he was likely loading on the lower deck, and it was completely full, without going on to the top deck (which is where they normally put business/first) it wouldn't be unfair to assume 900 people considering the lower deck could be 400-500 alone.

Most airlines limit it to 500-600 or so passenger but unless you pass through the First/Business areas it very well could seem like there are way more than that. The last row in a Qantas A380 is row 88 and it's 10 seats across .... so someone thinking that all the rows are the same = 88x10 = 880

So a guess of 900 isn't out of the ballpark.

Comment

Maybe SHJ was on an Airbus A380... I think they hold close to 900 passengers.

Oops, sorry... I missed @Stickboy46's post above.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

A380's (which is one of the primary US to Australia aircraft) has a rated capacity of ~850 in a single cabin configuration. As he was likely loading on the lower deck, and it was completely full, without going on to the top deck (which is where they normally put business/first) it wouldn't be unfair to assume 900 people considering the lower deck could be 400-500 alone.

Most airlines limit it to 500-600 or so passenger but unless you pass through the First/Business areas it very well could seem like there are way more than that. The last row in a Qantas A380 is row 88 and it's 10 seats across .... so someone thinking that all the rows are the same = 88x10 = 880

So a guess of 900 isn't out of the ballpark.
                Thanks for the information I honestly didn't know A380's capacity or the number seats in a row. And thank you for your measured respond . Next time I make what I thought was a innocence joke hopefully I will do my research .

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Is that really what you got out of his statements regarding his travels from Australia to America during a pandemic? I doubt it and suspect you are probably being a lttle "snarky" (whatever your term is for having a little fun at Samajae's expense), but what I take from his statements is that being in Australia and having to fly to America during a pandemic is a harrowing experience and he was full of anxiety during the tremendously long flight where LOTS of people are cooped up in a small space with no way to escape it. You are correct about his estimating skills but he surely was exaggerating, not estimating and that may say more about the written article than his estimating skills. Samajae was lucky in that, Australia most likely has a very good health/hospital system which could take care of him if the worst happened. I had a friend's daughter who was stuck in South America in a country where their health system had collapsed. They were no longer taking people into the hospital, but were instead sending them home with an oxygen tank to assist their comfort during breathing difficulties to most likely die (unless a miracle happened in their case). Many people may not realize, but it's pretty scary to be in a foreign country during this time.

We are lucky to be in America during this time. America may have overreacted to the pandemic, or maybe not. it can be argued either way, but in the countries without a good health system, this pandemic is likely frightening.
                  It was just a simple joke. Not well researched or maybe not funny. Now for your take on my post did you get in trouble for posting this during work hours at the DMV?

Comment

It was just a simple joke. Not well researched or maybe not funny. Now for your take on my post did you get in trouble for posting this during work hours at the DMV?
                    I said “snarky” in my statement but left room for differing definitions and I accept your statement that you trying to be “funny”.

Comment

Good person... Even a better person

Comment

It was just a simple joke.
                        I thought it was funny.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I thought it was funny.

Me too. But you always know there will be at least a few negative nancies out there who will take offense or fly off the handle about a simple humorous statement. Welcome to the new America.

Comment

Don't hate on my airplane knowledge

Comment

Slightly off topic, but . . .

In 1979, the Warsaw Playhouse in Poland was torn down because no matter how they configured the seats, everyone ended up sitting behind a Pole.

Comment

Working...
                              X