Samajae Haynes-Jones Appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samajae Haynes-Jones Appreciation thread

On this team, SHJ is our best perimeter threat. If Dennis had another D1 year, that wouldn't be true. SHJ would have been a deep bench player in previous years, but this isn't previous years.

It was maddening to watch him dribble 10 seconds off the shot clock when he got the ball. Watching a little closer, he was trying to find a defensive weakness that would let him drive to the basket. When he found that, the response out here was "at last he's figured out how he should play the game". When he couldn't find a way to drive, there was little thought among fans that he was trying to do what he does best, but it didn't work.

We've had many guards who were better in every aspect of the game than SHJ, but we don't have any of those guys this year. The fact that Marshall was willing to let SHJ create in late-game situations rather than run offensive sets should tell you a lot about Marshall's confidence in SHJ and his confidence in the Shox ability to successfully run sets.

SHJ has two game-winning buzzer beaters and his 3 against Clemson may as well have been a buzzer beater. SHJ seems to be at his best when the game is on the line. The way he gets his points is unorthodox to fans who watched VanVleet and Baker, but those guys are gone and Marshall had to figure out how to best use what he has this year. Marshall has consistently gone to SHJ in late-game situations, and this year Marshall has the best late-game results I can remember from his years at WSU.

Brauer's dagger 3 against Creighton still gets posted from time to time. SHJ gets criticized for taking a low-percentage shot that he made to win a game. Against Clemson he had a 6'8" defender on him from a switch. He made a between-the-legs dribble to move the defender out of position, took a step back and had space for a shot against a much taller defender. Maybe it was a low-percentage shot. Maybe it was the best low-percentage shot the Shox were going to get that possession. It went in and the Shox won the game. SHJ had the stones to put it down. if you want a comparison to a better shooter, I don't think Frankamp could have done that.

Last edited by Aargh; March 26, 2019, 02:46 AM.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Where is the Chance Moore appreciation thread?

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      It's on the WSU (Washington State University) board.

• pie n eye
      pie n eye commented
      Editing a comment
      Why would we have a Chance Moore appreciation thread?

Samajae is just a flat-out winner. Won a state championship at East. Won a NJCAA championship at Hutch. You can tell from the late-game shots he's made that he has a lot of composure in those situations and is capable of making those plays and shots when the game is on the line.

Comment

Samajae is the best (and perhaps only) player on our team at creating one on one shots for himself and less often for others. Duff sometimes can do it but not with regularity. Landry was our best last year. We will have to find one for next year. With the 30 second clock, you have to have a player who can do that. By the way, FVV was pretty good at that too when he was a Shocker.

Comment

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually for all his brilliance FVV struggled getting and making shots at the end of games.

• Shockm
        Shockm commented
        Editing a comment
        FVV was pretty good using the screen (pick and roll) to get himself or a teammate open on clock plays. I always trusted him but he rarely would make a one on one play.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
      Samajae is the best (and perhaps only) player on our team at creating one on one shots for himself and less often for others. Duff sometimes can do it but not with regularity. Landry was our best last year. We will have to find one for next year. With the 30 second clock, you have to have a player who can do that. By the way, FVV was pretty good at that too when he was a Shocker.
      I expect that to be Teddy Allen next year.

Comment

I have great expectations for Teddy. Haven't seen him in game situations, especially late game situations. I'm looking forward to seeing his composure in tight games.

Comment

Sorry, this is a SHJ thread (not Teddy). At the beginning of the year I would hold my breath every time Sammy got the ball. He progressed so much this year and I'm thankful we have him.

Comment

I watched highlights of the UCF game (one of only a couple home games I missed); Jones hit several big shots down the stretch in that game. As Aargh
            said, Jones "had the stones to put it down". I've been critical at times, but he'll be remembered by some as 'Big Stones Jones'!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I'll admit to being frustrated with Samajae's play this year but he is so much more improved over last year. Watching that shot over and over (thank you again @Taylor Eldridge) on Twitter makes me cringe but also grin. He just barely got that ball off before the shot clock expired and it just barely cleared the defender's outstretched fingers. I agree with Aargh, 3G has the confidence to put the ball in SHJ's hands in those situations and it's worked out this year.

I used to get so frustrated watching FVV run the clock down to single digits before really making any effort to put the ball in play and it took me way too long to recognize this was the offense and FVV was a master at waiting until the defense gave him the crease he needed to get the ball to someone or take it to the hoop himself. Don't get me wrong, not trying to make any comparison whatsoever, merely pointing out that Gregg has a knack for recognizing the strengths of the young men on his basketball team and does his best to put them in position to be successful.

I, for one, am thankful that Samajae has overcome whatever it was that ailed him last season, we wouldn't be playing tonight if he hadn't.

Comment

Glad he chose us. He is not a high percentage shooter but we would not be in the NIT without him. He does what coach wants or he wouldn’t play. I think we will miss him and MM next year.

Comment

His defense has been a pleasant surprise this year as well and I think is a little under rated. He has really done a nice job guarding on the ball against some good guards.

Comment

• tgcshock
                    tgcshock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    And that was not true at the beginning of the year. He has put in the work and put out the effort to improve significantly during the course of the season. Got to give him credit.

His D has really improved.

Comment

He gives it his all every possession. He never gives up. Plays good defense. And has actually cut down on the JUCO moments compared to early in the year. Still has those moments, but nothing like he used to.

He is doing everything asked of him by his coaching staff. From what I understand still has some anxiety issues, but has learned how to cope and control it as much as possible.

Everyone on this team frustrates me at times. But I cant question their heart. Early in the year I got more upset because it appeared that when things didn't go their way they would just kind of give up. Hasn't been that way lately.

I appreciate SHJ and everything he has done. He didn't have to come here, he didn't have to stay. But he did and it was during one of the toughest years in a while. Hats off to him for sticking through it and giving 100%.
                    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
                      Glad he chose us. He is not a high percentage shooter but we would not be in the NIT without him. He does what coach wants or he wouldn’t play. I think we will miss him and MM next year.
                      Chose us over Louisville and several other good teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        ONLY (BY FAR)

Comment

Working...
                        X