• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which alumni?

Comment

• Nm

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        "Michigan Basketball: Big names ruled out in head coaching search" - FanSided Sports

by Chris Peterson
        Posted: 05/16/19, 1:00om cst

Michigan basketball expressed interest in some high-profile targets but big names like Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan, among others, aren't interested.

"...according to Sam Webb of the Michigan Insider ($), we can already rule out Stevens, Donovan and Greg Marshall of Wichita State....the fact that Marshall isn’t a serious candidate shouldn’t come as a huge surprise. Michigan isn’t the first big school to come after him and it won’t be the last. He just doesn’t seem ready to leave and at the very least, he’s not leaving to be the head coach of Michigan basketball...."
        HC2G?
        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          That's probably one (of the many, Ashock) reasons he's been ruled out, rip -- can you imagine 3G coaching someplace where (a) it can start snowing before practice starts and can keep snowing until after the spring signing period is over; and (b) the "insiders" only give him credit for 2 G's?

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
        Why has Juwan Howard not been hired already?
        Most likely because he is still interviewing for NBA head coaching jobs.

Comment

• Jeff *******Verified account
          @GoodmanHoops
          Follow Follow
          @GoodmanHoops

More

Michigan offered the job to Juwan Howard this morning, source told @Stadium.

“The ball is now in Juwan’s court,” source close to situation told me.

Comment

• Wikipedia is already reporting that Howard is the head coach at Michigan. Evidently Howard took the ball and ran with it, even thought that's not allowed in basketball.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• JVShocker
              JVShocker commented
              Editing a comment
              It is if you play in the NBA. All time world travelers....James Harden, Lebron James, and now Giannis Antek...whatever, the new king of travelers. Seriously, they should all sign endorsement deals with American Express Traveler Checks. The NBA is just unwatchable right now.

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
              Why has Juwan Howard not been hired already?
              Just a little ahead of my time, I guess...

Comment

• I'm no MIchigan fan, but Juwan Howard is not going to bring Penny-like results. Obviously, Penny is bringing in top recruits, and we'll see if he works out over time, but the main difference is he had a recruiting pipeline built over years through AAU. Juwan will need some major help to establish anything near Penny's start at Memphis.

I expect results close to Patrick Ewing than Penny.

Comment

• I suspect Howard will find more success than Ewing. Michigan is in a better place than Georgetown was and he might have some pull with Michigan kids and their parents with his history and the NBA experience will not hurt him when recruiting high level talent. He will have to compete with Izzo though for the top talent in the area and that is not something Penny has to deal with.

Time will tell if Penny can use the talent he has recruited or if he can maintain a high level of recruitment once his immediate connections have gone. He is lucky that Memphis and the immediate area is a current hotbed of talent. Should that fade, it will get even more interesting.

Though he still has FedEx money
                  The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Comment

• Originally posted by vbird53 View Post
                    I'm no MIchigan fan, but Juwan Howard is not going to bring Penny-like results. Obviously, Penny is bringing in top recruits, and we'll see if he works out over time, but the main difference is he had a recruiting pipeline built over years through AAU. Juwan will need some major help to establish anything near Penny's start at Memphis.

I expect results close to Patrick Ewing than Penny.

I like what Penny is doing.

I think he showed in his first season that he can coach a style that is perfect for a team that has a LOT of talent on hand.

They play fast and integrate a lot of guys throughout the game.

I think his coaching style is going to let those guys play. And win. (too many bullets)

A more tactical coach may actually hinder those guys.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                      WSUwatcher commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's probably a good point about Penny, Steve. I've always thought that when you have a lot of talent you should play fast and try to have as much action as possible -- Nolan Richardson rather than Eddie Sutton, for example -- on the theory that the more plays and possessions there are, the better the chance your team's talent would prevail. Back before the shot clock, when somebody tried to take the air out of the ball and steal a win by a football score, they didn't do it because they thought they had the better team.

I never did understand why Henry Iba was the US Olympic coach way back when the we were miles ahead of the world in basketball, and of course we saw what happened with the Soviets as a result -- a bunch of trees who could stay close if you'd play slowly enough to let them and then take advantage of their referee mulligans. The US would not have lost that game 81-80, but they were capable of losing (sort of) 51-50.
                      Last edited by WSUwatcher; May 25, 2019, 07:56 AM.
                  Working...
                  X