Coaching Changes 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
    Alabama hires John Brannen from Northern Kentucky.
    Brannen was an assistant for 9 years under Anthony Grant at VCU and Alabama.

Comment

• AndShock
      AndShock commented
      Editing a comment
      Was also the interim coach at Bama for 2 games after Grant was fired. Definitely a weird hire to go back to a “failed” tree. Have to wonder if he made some sort of deal that he could come back to Bama after he proved himself.

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      No great surprise, And -- Grant was actually reasonably successful at Bama; the fans just have unrealistic expectations of what they can do in basketball, because Saban has set the bar so high and a number of other Alabama programs -- softball, gymnastics, golf -- have had national success too. And Brannen has done a very nice job at NKU. It's just hard to imagine it being duplicated in Tuscaloosa.

Forbes getting some run on the radio locally for the UNLV job. They all want Pitino, because they are stupid. They can't afford anyone unless the Fertitas open up their checkbook like they did for football (it didn't't work out). Menzies was a great choice, they just didn't give him enough time. And no way they will go after another NM St. coach.

Comment

• AndShock
      AndShock commented
      Editing a comment
      The Menzies hire/firing remind of Tubby Smith. You know exactly what you’re getting. A “boring” coach who will be clean and win. If your program requires flashy play and big recruits (and potentia cheating) then don’t make these hires in the first place.

"The Menzies hire/firing remind of Tubby Smith. You know exactly what you’re getting. A “boring” coach who will be clean and win. If your program requires flashy play and big recruits (and potentia cheating) then don’t make these hires in the first place."

That was part of the conversation. Doyou want a dirty, dirty Pitino who could still be under investigation by the NCAA or a guy who got a one-year show-cause for takinga kid to a cookout. There is also the added layer of intrigue that the current AD at UNLV was at Tennessee when it all went down.

Comment

Surprised we haven't mentioned one of the greatest coaching hires of the season.

SIU has hired former Saluki Bryan Mullins, who has not had any head coaching experience, to replace Hinson.

After graduating from SIU in 2009, Mullins embarked upon a four-year professional career in France. He retired in 2013 and joined Porter Moser's staff at Loyola as the director of operations. Mullins ascended to assistant coach in 2015 and associate head coach in 2018

From the numbers I have found

Mullins will be one of the top paid coaches in the Missouri Valley per URL

UNI - Jacobson $900,000
      IlSU - Muller $564,000

SIU - Mullins $475,000

BU - Wardle $434,000
      LIU - Moser $420,000
      MSU - Ford $375,000
      InSU - Lansing $249,000

Fired Head coach Hinson - $350,000

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        A somewhat of a Randy Smithson type hire but who knows maybe Mullins is exactly what SIU needs. Surprised they starting him that high although I could see that with performance bonuses. No doubt Mullins was a tough, hard-nosed player who got as much as he could out of his physical gifts. If nothing else perhaps he is a hire to try to reignite some fan enthusiasm for the program.

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
      Surprised we haven't mentioned one of the greatest coaching hires of the season.

SIU has hired former Saluki Bryan Mullins, who has not had any head coaching experience, to replace Hinson.

After graduating from SIU in 2009, Mullins embarked upon a four-year professional career in France. He retired in 2013 and joined Porter Moser's staff at Loyola as the director of operations. Mullins ascended to assistant coach in 2015 and associate head coach in 2018

From the numbers I have found

Mullins will be one of the top paid coaches in the Missouri Valley per URL

UNI - Jacobson $900,000
      IlSU - Muller $564,000

SIU - Mullins $475,000

BU - Wardle $434,000
      LIU - Moser $420,000
      MSU - Ford $375,000
      InSU - Lansing $249,000

Fired Head coach Hinson - $350,000
      GodShawGod as assistant coach??

Comment

Call me crazy, but I would love to see Hinson on staff as a “Consultant”.

Comment

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Consultant and media spokesmen. :)

• vbird53
          vbird53 commented
          Editing a comment
          The Valley needs to fire Doug Elgin and replace with Hinson as commissioner. Yesterday.

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        The quality of cooks we currently have seem to be pretty solid to me. No need to add another cook and risk spoiling the soup.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
          What he does best is give interviews, and Coach prolly gonna keep that

Comment

He's been pretty hot for a while

Comment

Miles out at Nebraska.

Anderson out at Arkansas.

BYU's Rose retires.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Miles out at Nebraska. Stunning......
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Met his parents while on an Alaskan cruise last summer. His dad saw my WSU hat and came up to introduce himself and say how much he admires HCGM.

Comment

Apparently this wasn't a done deal.

Comment

Dawkins to Vandy?

"He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Shock Top
                      Shock Top commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great school, though probably not a better job currently.

Stay at UCF build a brand their.

Perfect spot for Forbes

Comment

Working...
                    X