No announcement yet.

Coaching Changes 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would be shocked if Marshall decided not to see how far he could ride this group along with the recruits coming in.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      So would I.

• If you were UCLA who would you really go after? Someone making 2-3 mil a year is going to need 6-7 just to call it a lateral move. Someone making 1 mil will need 3 mil, so don’t you have to get someone from that area to begin with (or high cost of living areas)?

Guess you could take a flyer on someone like the UC-Irvine coach but if you’re going to do that, I would really hang it out there with Dan Majerle, a big name who has proved he can coach a little bit.

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Hiring someone from the left coast is the only logical option.

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    If you were UCLA who would you really go after? Someone making 2-3 mil a year is going to need 6-7 just to call it a lateral move. Someone making 1 mil will need 3 mil, so don’t you have to get someone from that area to begin with (or high cost of living areas)?

Guess you could take a flyer on someone like the UC-Irvine coach but if you’re going to do that, I would really hang it out there with Dan Majerle, a big name who has proved he can coach a little bit.
    Kinda makes you wonder if this is part of the reason the Pac-12 sucks... inability to lure top coaching talent. Same story in Washington and Oregon. All are in high rent metro areas.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Kinda makes you wonder if this is part of the reason the Pac-12 sucks... inability to lure top coaching talent. Same story in Washington and Oregon. All are in high rent metro areas.
      That's not to mention the INCREDIBLY high standards they have at UCLA. They went to the Sweet 16 three times in a four year stretch. Before that, Howland went to back-to-back Final 4's. Pretty easy to say that they should have just stuck with Howland if they really wanted to break through.
      "Say it slowly and savor it..."
      Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushockerdude View Post

That's not to mention the INCREDIBLY high standards they have at UCLA. They went to the Sweet 16 three times in a four year stretch. Before that, Howland went to back-to-back Final 4's. Pretty easy to say that they should have just stuck with Howland if they really wanted to break through.
        Here is How Steve Lavin did right before Howland:

1996–97 Steve Lavin 24–8 15–3 1 NCAA Elite Eight
        1997–98 Steve Lavin 24–9 12–6 3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
        1998–99 Steve Lavin 22–9 12–6 3 NCAA Round of 64*
        1999–00 Steve Lavin 21–12 10–8 4 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
        2000–01 Steve Lavin 23–9 14–4 3 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
        2001–02 Steve Lavin 21–12 11–7 6 NCAA Sweet Sixteen
        2002–03 Steve Lavin 10–19 6–12 6 FIRED
        If that was the typical 7 years at WSU, I would run naked through the streets.
        The Assman

Comment

• WSUwatcher
          WSUwatcher commented
          Editing a comment
          Not me, ST -- can't have any of that 10-19 stuff around here. Look at what Marshall did with his crew of newbies this year.

• Former alum Earl Watson wants the gig bad and they don't seem to be too high on him. Not sure why. He has ties to the program and coaching experience. The boosters would no doubt love him. Probably about as good as they could hope for. He'd likely be a more budget friendly option as well.

Btw, I live in CA and can attest that it is brutal when it comes to cost. At least I live in San Diego and not the dumpster fire that is LA or the bat sh!t crazy Bay Area.

Comment

Not that it's worth a ton, but a solid media source on the Arkansas boards (paid section for 247) certainly thinks Marshall is an option. Don't shoot the messenger.
          When will these dumbass football schools realize he's never going to a basketball-second school unless he becomes the highest paid coach in America?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• WuShock16
            WuShock16 commented
            Editing a comment

I was talking to Doc about this over the weekend. If you look at total pay, it appears that only Calipari and Coach K make head-and-shoulders more than Gregg does, especially once you consider cost of living. For example, Jay Wright is slightly ahead of Gregg by about 300K, but I would bet that extra gets eaten up by living in Philly.

• Guess they want to follow the Penny method. Except Stack actually has some coaching cred and is pretty well thought of as an x’s and o’s guy.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...lt-sources-say

Comment

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            There you go, although Stackhouse is credible as a coach, as you stated.

This model may be a fad but it is trending.

On another note, Adrian Griffin deserves a long look somewhere. Top NBA assistant, well connected, kid is a 5 Star sophomore. He would be a very intriguing candidate.

• kcshocker11
            kcshocker11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Stackhouse was mentioned on the Raptors broadcast last night. They think he's gonna get the job.

• CBS reporting what many on the Houston and Arkansas board have already been saying - Sampson working on a new deal with Houston, will likely stay put. Good for the conference!
          "Say it slowly and savor it..."
          Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

• Aargh
            Aargh commented
            Editing a comment
            Would Arkansas be considered a step up from Houston? Houston has a brand new arena,and is establishing some credibility. With the exception of a couple of teams at the top of the SEC and a couple of teams at the bottom of the AAC, the AAC and SEC aren't very far apart.

• For all those lamenting why HCGM "entertains" offers, the example of Cali and Sampson, along with his own experience listening to Alabama, may provide an explanation. Renegotiate to stay put.

Comment

• HCGM = Trendsetter.

Comment

• Kung Wu
              Kung Wu commented
              Editing a comment
              I would add Few into that equation as well.

CBS reporting what many on the Houston and Arkansas board have already been saying - Sampson working on a new deal with Houston, will likely stay put. Good for the conference!
            Yes. UCF should reup Dawkins too. Cinci needs to keep Cronin. Need SMU off probation.

We want as many good teams as possible in the AAC.

The Assman

Comment

• pie n eye
              pie n eye commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I heard this was SMU’s last year on probation but I don’t know that for sure. WSU, Cinci, Houston, Memphis, UCONN, full strength SMU, UCF, USF is a pretty solid base for a conference if everything goes well.

• Mark Few says he’s not going anywhere and means it.

Gregg Marshall says he’s very happy where he is and it will take a huge offer to pull him away but will still listen.

Either way you know what to expect because they’re being honest.

I prefer that to a coach saying, “I’m here for life” then taking another job a week later.

Comment

• OregonShocker
              OregonShocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed; it's better than Roy "I'm stayin'" Williams and our own Gene "I've taken this program about as far as I can" Stephenson.

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't forget Mark "at this level" Turgeon

• I admit it is entertaining (like ogling a car wreck entertaining) to read other fanbases talk about Marshall as backup plan v4.0 with a 15% pay raise over his current salary, after running off guys with more recent NCAA runs than even Marshall at current. Good luck with that I guess. Not a guy who tolerates for a hot second the idea of being down a ways on the candidate pecking order list, or the sports priority order at the school itself, or who at this point cares about 15% more hamburgers annually. Wish in one hand, crouch down and hold the other under your rear end, find out which on fills up faster.

We're six years removed from the Final Four, and Marshall's national HC candidate desirability rating going from 4 stars to 5 stars + hyper-drive. In that time I'm guessing at least 1/3rd of the P5 MBB programs have had an opening. Marshall has been a blogger/forum hot take top 5 candidate for essentially EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. OF. THEM. And yet, here he is happier than a pig in **** earning T15 money, 3rd largest AAC MBB budget, private plane at his disposal for recruiting and private trips, charter team travel, fan support with seemingly endless goodwill and support, and a league on the precipice of cementing itself within the top echelon of college basketball (P5/BE + AAC).

Everyone missed their chance. It was somewhere between the F4 and the Bama offer that got him the $3.5M contract. It's gone now. As of the AAC move in the fall 2017 it's gone, gone. Piss off.
            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; April 2, 2019, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Yes. UCF should reup Dawkins too. Cinci needs to keep Cronin. Need SMU off probation.

We want as many good teams as possible in the AAC.
            Though I wouldn't go crazy on Dawkins yet. I don't think Tacko was his recruit and this was the first year he's made the tourney. Don't want to end up with an Ollie situation

Comment

Working...
            X