Wichita State at Furman Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

Yep. Pretty gutsy call on Marshall’s part. In the second half, Rafferty certainly got his but the rest of the team never really got going.
    Yes good move. But come on guys. Raferty is good but he is not a 1st round draft choice or even a 2nd round draft. He is just a smart, savvy , non athletic 6ft 8 215 senior without a 3 point shot. He scores mostly inside. His coach said he played hurt. He should not have scored close to 30 points against our two 7 foot centers. I am sorry but that's bullsht. He would not have scored that against Kadeem Colby, E Orupe, S. Morris, Shadrack Luffile, Bush Wadakota, etc. Those guys would swatted Raferty shot back down his throat.

Our bigs have to do a better job on the defense. Maybe that's next year when JE can show he can play more than 21 minutes before he cries like a baby to come out because he tired. Maybe after AM takes a dance class so he can move his feet better. Still I am happy our bigs are playing for us but I see so much more these guys can potentially give. Go shocks.

Comment

• rjl
      rjl commented
      Editing a comment
      The Valley had all sorts of undersized "centers" that put up points on all those players you listed. Our guys played the game the officials let them play yesterday. You say Rafferty wasn't athletic. Not sure what you mean by that. I saw a dude who was pretty quick, with great footwork and a nice turnaround jumpshot.

The bottom line is a guy like that will almost always be quicker than a 7' college center, unless that 7' college center is the kind who plays for one year at Duke, UK, UNC, or maybe KU. The downside for Furman is that we clean them up on the boards, and we've got a distinct advantage on our offensive end of the court.

• Dan
      Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      He woulda destroyed Wamukota, but I get your point.

• SHOCKvalue
      SHOCKvalue commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not sure what those guys you mentioned would have done differently to block that hook shot. AM might still be learning, but dude has the largest frame I’ve ever seen at the 5 for WSU, and he was using it against Rafferty. Didn’t matter.

• This may have been addressed already, but when we threw that long inbounds pass to McDuffie with under a minute left in the game and he was immediately fouled, why weren't we give two free throws? I thought the NIT rules award free throws for every foul committed under 2 minutes left in each half?

Instead, we inbounded the ball again.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• WuShock16
      WuShock16 commented
      Editing a comment
      Apparently, ESPN had an incorrect graphic since the rule is like the NBA in that if five fouls haven't been reached by the last two minutes, the second foul under the 2:00 mark will trigger the two free throws.

• rjl
      rjl commented
      Editing a comment
      WuShock16, thanks. That makes sense. We were given free throws on the next foul.

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Yes good move. But come on guys. Raferty is good but he is not a 1st round draft choice or even a 2nd round draft. He is just a smart, savvy , non athletic 6ft 8 215 senior without a 3 point shot. He scores mostly inside. His coach said he played hurt. He should not have scored close to 30 points against our two 7 foot centers. I am sorry but that's bullsht. He would not have scored that against Kadeem Colby, E Orupe, S. Morris, Shadrack Luffile, Bush Wadakota, etc. Those guys would swatted Raferty shot back down his throat.

Our bigs have to do a better job on the defense. Maybe that's next year when JE can show he can play more than 21 minutes before he cries like a baby to come out because he tired. Maybe after AM takes a dance class so he can move his feet better. Still I am happy our bigs are playing for us but I see so much more these guys can potentially give. Go shocks.
    I disagree that they played bad defense. Rafferty could score. What makes him good is that he has teammates who spread you out and make you pay if you cheat off of them and help on Rafferty. If effect, it was a game of 21 where Rafferty could take as much time as he wanted to back our bigs down, fake shots, and make moves at his leisure. If our bigs were too aggressive, fouls would be called and Rafferty was a good foul shooter. He was in the drivers seat with every advantage

Comment

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      They played bad defense. It was pathetic.

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Colby, Orupke, Morris, Lufile, Wadakota wouldn't be playing in NIT games.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Comment

• I said at half time that after AM frustrated him the first half he would get his points in the second
        and he did. All in all I think AM played him pretty pretty darn well and our enters dominated them
        on the boards and offensively. I sense that quite a few of you still have doubts about AM but we
        wouldn't be playing this Sunday without him. Hope he can give us two more good years !

Comment

• Topshock
          Topshock commented
          Editing a comment
          Look we rebounded well but no one in there right mind can say our on ball defense on Raferty was anywhere close to good.

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post
        Can someone who, like me, is insane and rewatches some of these games confirm something with me?

At the 2:47 mark in the 2nd half, Erik throws the ball off a Furman player's leg out of bounds with 5 seconds on the shot clock. They reset the clock to 20? That is not the rule is it? I am guessing the shot still has to hit the rim to get more on the shot clock?

Not only did the ball not hit the rim, the ball didn't even get shot. But we got an extra 15 seconds on that play and scored to retake the lead. Was that a giant F up?
        Believe there is a rule they are testing out that the shot clock resets to 20 on an offensive rebound. Erik got the rebound before throwing it off a player if it's the play I am remembering.
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I wasn't able to see the game, but it sounds like we were fortunate to win with this pack of inept big men, and hero seeking guards.....

These guys are who they are...ONE on the entire team would have played last year. I'll take how far they have come.

Comment

• pie n eye
            pie n eye commented
            Editing a comment
            Personally I would disagree with that assessment. The big men were actually pretty good I thought. They had a little trouble guarding Raferty at times but he was a good player. Both were pretty efficient on offense and the boards.

We needed some heroes on offense and McDuffie, Samaje, Stevenson, Echinique, and even Torres all had their moments.

I thought was a gritty effort on the road in a packed house against a really good team.

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
          I wasn't able to see the game, but it sounds like we were fortunate to win with this pack of inept big men, and hero seeking guards.....

These guys are who they are...ONE on the entire team would have played last year. I'll take how far they have come.
          LOL. Some of these posters on here crack me up. Two-headed monster combines for 25 points on 11/14 from the field and 20 rebounds but they are 'inept'. Lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
            I wasn't able to see the game, but it sounds like we were fortunate to win with this pack of inept big men, and hero seeking guards.....

Inept Big Men? Shockers Use Their Bigs On Both Ends to Win at Furman

Jaime and Asbjorn combined to score 25 points on 11-14 shooting, grabbed 20 rebounds, had 2 turnovers, 3 blocked shots and 2 steals in a combined 40 minutes. Poor Bear did not play.

Granted Rafferty went for 27 points on 19 shots and had 8 rebounds in 35 minutes and while he is very good player he is also the focus of Furman's offense.

So at worst Jaime's and Asbjorn's contributions to the Shocker's cause neutralized Rafferty's contributions to Furman's cause.

But in one way you are right. We haven't often seen that kind of ineptness out of these two guys.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              Meter calibration.

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              They were good on offense and terrible with there on ball defense. Our perimeter players are the ones that played great defense. There offense runs through Raferty with him distributing the ball for open 3 points shots. Few were available with out perimeter defense so he had to score himself against our inept on ball defense on him

• Comment

• bighouse
              bighouse commented
              Editing a comment
              Can we also take a minute to recognize how impressive tayloreldridge is at his job. We are lucky to have him!!!!!

• So how would you measure this team's win against Furman on their home court against last year's team's loss to Marshall on a neutral court?
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
              So how would you measure this team's win against Furman on their home court against last year's team's loss to Marshall on a neutral court?
              Last year's team was fun to watch at times, but they fell off at the end of the season. This year's team would've won that NCAA Tournament game against Marshall.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmm. Interesting what if. I just don't know. Maybe. Crazy to think how far this team has come though. The comment below by Stick is pretty darn impressive. Q1 road win. Who would have ever thought possible. Let's get another one on Sunday boys!!!!

• Just a reality check. If this game was in the regular season, this would have been a Q1 road win. It would have been the best win on our resume and only a couple teams in our entire conference had a better win than this.

Comment

• I've never had to drag a 6'11" 220 pound frame around, but it is a bit disappointing that our bigs don't have better stamina. It's great to have a 2 or 3 headed monster, but when one of them gets it going we don't have the luxury of riding them for 10 minutes because they simply can't do it. Oh well.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jamie continues to suffer from plantar fasciitis. A lack of conditioning might be part of the problem with his stamina. I'm not sure he's even practicing... probably riding a stationary bike. Hopefully, he'll get the proper rest during the offseason.

Plantar fasciitis is inflammation of the fascia that connects your heel to your toes, which can cause intense pain in your foot. Learn more about the symptoms and treatment of plantar fasciitis at WebMD.

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Also, I don't think you're grasp of what Gregg demands, effort wise, of all the players on every possession, is what it needs to be. Gregg's not asking Shaq to meander down the court or to walk up with the other center. It's balls out, bust ass, every second. Get tired, get out, get refreshed, get back in. Nobody is Kareeming it out there.
              Working...
              X