Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any SNer's going to the Practice Saturday morning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vtshocker View Post
    I think Anacreon can do what Ellis did for us. He is described as deceptively long with a good mid range jumper
    James is behind the rest. First he signed too late to make the trip to Brazil and now he's missing time due to his mother's open heart surgery. There's a lot to learn and he may take a good portion of the year to catch up. I'm eager to see him play.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
      These reports make me wonder if we are going to miss Aaron Ellis a lot this season. If Weems and Mac Jr. cannot be effectively defended, we might be in for a long season. Will Illinois State's Jackie Carmichael abuse us this year? What about Jake Koch?

It might be that we don't miss Durley at all but that we miss Ellis a great deal. Thoughts?
      Of course we will miss AE (& GB) this year. They were long athletic seniors that played virtually all of the minutes at PF last year and we have no returning 4s. Weems will be an issue, but we should be able to dominate the rest of that team. Carmichael is a center and we will be fine playing Stutz, EO, or Hall against him. Again, we should dominate the rest of that team. Koch and McD are not penetrating PFs, but we will have our hands full with them. Hall is built to do better against those two than he is against guys like Weems and Taylor Brown, where James A and Smith will have limited but better success.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Garrett and Carl can play together - as mentioned earlier, Stutz can venture out, while Hall can isolate down low. Perhaps you could say that Stutz is a 4 offensively while Hall is a 5 offensively. I still expect Smith to get a little time at the 4 when Kyles and Murry are in at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56 View Post
          Garrett and Carl can play together - as mentioned earlier, Stutz can venture out, while Hall can isolate down low. Perhaps you could say that Stutz is a 4 offensively while Hall is a 5 offensively. I still expect Smith to get a little time at the 4 when Kyles and Murry are in at the same time.
          Good analogy of Stutz and Hall I think, but I disagree about Smith, he is strictly a 3, and not tall enough to play the 4, besides we have Anacreon and White as backup 4's.
          I really don't see Murry and Kyles playing that much together, as I think both will play the 2 and spell each other.

Comment

I see Kyles as a 2, Murry as a 2/3, and Smith as a 3. IF Hall/White/Anacreon are unable to guard Weems and the like, Smith WILL see time at the 4. Big IF, but Smith IS capable.
            Livin the dream

Comment

In another thread it was asked why we are here? This thread is exactly why I am here. I think there are more well thought out trains of thought contained in this single thread than we have had in weeks at a time. Way to go Shock Netters.

Comment

I am veering off course a little bit but does anyone remember who played PF for Bradley during Patrick O'Bryant's run in the sweet 16? Were they any good?

Comment

Marcellus Sommerville was probably the 4. Yeah, pretty good.
                  There are nights when I think that Sal Paradise was right.

Comment

I think they also had that 1 athletic kid who could "kip" up by just throwing his upper body into the air....his name escapes me but I'd venture he is one of the 5 best athletes of the previous decade in the Valley.....or the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      Of course we will miss AE (& GB) this year. They were long athletic seniors that played virtually all of the minutes at PF last year and we have no returning 4s. Weems will be an issue, but we should be able to dominate the rest of that team. Carmichael is a center and we will be fine playing Stutz, EO, or Hall against him. Again, we should dominate the rest of that team. Koch and McD are not penetrating PFs, but we will have our hands full with them. Hall is built to do better against those two than he is against guys like Weems and Taylor Brown, where James A and Smith will have limited but better success.
                      "Carmichael is a center" - If you look at http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-b...askbl-mtt.html you see that Carmichael (6'9", 240 lb.) is listed as a forward. Jordan Threloff (6'10", 255 lb.) is the only player listed as a center. My memory is not perfect but I seem to recall JC playing an outside game rather than an inside game.

Carmichael is one of three 6'9" players for the Redbirds. Jones is 20 pounds heavier than JC and Wilkins is 15 pounds lighter.

I have to question your comment that "Carmichael is a center" and wonder if you were BSing me. ISU says he is a forward and there are two heavier players who are as tall as or taller than JC. In addition, I think his offensive game is that of a forward, not a center.
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                        I think they also had that 1 athletic kid who could "kip" up by just throwing his upper body into the air....his name escapes me but I'd venture he is one of the 5 best athletes of the previous decade in the Valley.....or the planet.
                        You're probably thinking of Zach Andrews. Their starting SF was Lawrence Wright, who was pretty athletic (and very long arms), IIRC.

Comment

Carmichael is an inside guy, not outside. He's been their main post presence and you could understand why someone would call him a center. You're just nitpicking at this point. A lot of Valley teams have lacked a true Center and may not have one listed on their roster. That doesn't mean somebody isn't playing that position.

How would you list JT? He definitely had more of an outside game, or at least thought he did, and played mostly Center for us. He was most definitely a PF though. Kyle Wilson played some Center for us, he was far from it. Garrett is a true center and definitely has an outside game. So being inside or out doesn't even reflect in your position. The ability of the player and the offense they're in does. Hall is a PF and we won't see him venturing away from the basket unless it's to set a screen.

Has Threloff even played? If he has, he's been a nonfactor. I can almost guarantee that Stutz will be guarding Carmichael at some point this season. Probably a lot of points. But that may also depend on who else, if anyone, they have that can be a post presence.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            Carmichael is an inside guy, not outside. He's been their main post presence and you could understand why someone would call him a center. You're just nitpicking at this point. A lot of Valley teams have lacked a true Center and may not have one listed on their roster. That doesn't mean somebody isn't playing that position.

How would you list JT? He definitely had more of an outside game, or at least thought he did, and played mostly Center for us. He was most definitely a PF though. Kyle Wilson played some Center for us, he was far from it. Garrett is a true center and definitely has an outside game. So being inside or out doesn't even reflect in your position. The ability of the player and the offense they're in does. Hall is a PF and we won't see him venturing away from the basket unless it's to set a screen.

Has Threloff even played? If he has, he's been a nonfactor. I can almost guarantee that Stutz will be guarding Carmichael at some point this season. Probably a lot of points. But that may also depend on who else, if anyone, they have that can be a post presence.
                            The point of the discussion is the 2011-12 season, not the past. I don't know what Threloff has done in the past. EO has done "nothing" so far at WSU but people have some (slight) expectations for him in 2011-12.

I object to your comment saying I am nitpicking. We are talking about 2011-12. If Threloff or Jones (or Wilkins) plays center and JC plays forward, then Hall will probably have to guard Carmichael. My original point to ask if he could and wufan essentially said Hall would not have to guard JC so the question was moot. I think the question is not moot and my reply was not nitpicking.
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Wilkins won't be playing Center. And I don't know if ISU expects Threloff to do anything and haven't heard any talk about Jones. All I was saying is that Carmichael is primarily a post player who plays 15 feet and in. I don't think Stutz, Hall or Ehimen will have trouble guarding him. The kid is good, but it's not like he moves like Weems and we'll struggle to find someone to guard him. The Weems type is what is semi worrisome right now and will be until we figure out who can guard that type of player. Carmichael is not that type of player.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

In the Missouri St game last year it was Hatch and Smith who guarded Weems and Ellis and Blair guarding Mallet. Im sure we will doing similar like that this year

Comment

Working...
                                X