No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs UConn Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The crowd was a bit thin but when they were really needed they brought it. I don't know if the crowd mirrored the team or vice versa but when it really counted both the crowd and the team made it happen. Overall it was not pretty but in the end it was a pretty exhilarating win.

Comment

• SHJ #1 play on SC Top 10.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• shockrah
        shockrah commented
        Editing a comment
        You win! LOL!

• SHJ's last second shot was #1 on ESPN Sport Center Top Ten Plays of the Day.
      Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• SHJ buzzer beater SC Top Ten #1
        plus
        The lead SVP!

Comment

• #1 AND SVP's Best Thing I Saw Today.

Comment

• I hope Markis’ body language and high fiving teammates was good enough for ShockerNet tonight. That’s the most important thing here.

Seriously, what a fun game. Love Samajae. Love Markis. Love this team. Are they the 2014 Shockers? Hell no. But they’re perfectly imperfect. And I’m enjoying this season, and it sounds like Coach Marshall is too.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Watching TA’s reaction to the shot was great; I really think he’s going to be a great teammate. Keep your head on straight young man and good things will happen.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Highlights:

Comment

• Epic game! Fun to watch!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Burton is going to be a double/double guy as his career moves on. He has 24 assists in the last 3 games. Last night he scored 11 (just missed a dunk) and 2nd on the team in rebounds with 8 behind Dexter Dennis. Even when DD has an off night shooting, he cleans glass. I liked the 7 blocks we had versus only 3 for UConn and we outrebounded them by 9. How about these stats? We were 15-17 0n throws and they were 8-9 and we only had 8 turnovers. We gave Memphis way too many throws both times we lost to them, which come back to haunt us. Thanks to SHJ for the 2nd game buster, last second shot, for the W. He did the same in our SMU win and Sunday I'm hoping he and MM are shooting the rock better than last night on fg shooting. AM has been making a positive difference for us in his role off the bench in being a rim protector and scoring some points. JE is due for a big game and a win at SMU could continue a positive finish for our Shocks in the AAC heading into the Tourney. We needed that nice win last night and the Shocks found a way to do it in an exciting finish that had Shocker Country all smiles. Gilbert was a handful playing on 1 leg at the end but the Shocks were not to be denied.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• A few thoughts from the game (viewed live from CKA):

1) The first half was some of the worst basketball I've ever seen.
                      2) AM was a BEAST tonight. I honestly feel he was the catalyst for that second half run. Great game from him!
                      3) Fantastic final shot.
                      4) Ted Valentine

Comment

• Dan
                        Dan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        His 2 blocks and dunk in the span of less than a minute was a tide turner

• 1. There is a reason I don't post during the games
                      2. Feeling very justified for promoting / defending AM since the beginning
                      3. Have mostly been an SHJ critic but he played a good overall game not just the final shot
                      4. We are down to seven reliable players. RT was sooooo weak on D while he was in.
                      5. ES works his butt off, his defensive footwork is getting better, opponents respect his shot
                      which is important, he boards, he sees the court and contributes even when not shooting.
                      6. Ball movement was poor most of the game
                      7. If JB ever shoots well enough to demand perimeter respect he will be a great player
                      8. DD didn't score but plays really good D and boards...........I like
                      9. Give me all the silly percentages you want - AM plays GOOD D and not just because of his
                      blocks last night. Several other times a driver had to alter their shot and missed cause of him

Comment

• proshox
                        proshox commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The stats do not have a god way of measuring all the times AM is able to deny the ball... he is getting better every game. The times he got beat on the pick and roll the “help the helper” defense was non-existent.

It appears the coaching staff has decided to not let him hard hedge when he is player is setting a pick. I think that is helping hide his footwork deficiencies, but it puts a lot more pressure on the other defender.

• We won the game because Asbjorn came in and gave the team some energy. Everything changed with his two block, two basket stretch.

I've complained quite a bit about Samajae, but I was so happy for him. A kid from Wichita hitting a buzzer beater in a must-win game, his senior season, at home in Charles Koch Arena. Can't get much better than that.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                        WuDrWu commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Plus 1, times 2. #SMU

• My dad and I thought everyone seemed very subdued walking out during intros, and then played the first half about like they looked! Crazy how many shots rimmed around and out, that might have contributed to the depression?

Seemed like everyone non-senior was passing up open shots looking to get the ball to MM and SHJ only. Dexter hit the one 3 late but it didn't seem like anyone else wanted to shoot.

Like someone else said I too was deflated after the game tying 3, felt like Temple all over again, and when they basically handed SHJ the ball at the baseline, not moving forward, I really didn't expect much. Very happy to be wrong, and happy for the guys!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                        I hope Markis’ body language and high fiving teammates was good enough for ShockerNet tonight. That’s the most important thing here.

Seriously, what a fun game. Love Samajae. Love Markis. Love this team. Are they the 2014 Shockers? Hell no. But they’re perfectly imperfect. And I’m enjoying this season, and it sounds like Coach Marshall is too.
                        Unfortunately, it won't be enough, because we have SOME idiot fans.....we are the not the 1969 Lakers, so it's a fail....

Comment

• pie n eye
                          pie n eye commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah you’ve got Junior Jeff on the post game questioning if Shocker fans should be excited about a possible NIT berth considering what the program has done the last 7 years.

Yes, we should be excited about it especially considering the circumstances surrounding this year. Shamet to NBA early (first to do this in WSU history?), the bizarre Reaves transfer, the unlikely Lomax decommit, Teddy blocked by the fat asshole in Morgantown.

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          "fat asshole in Morgantown"...

https://media.giphy.com/media/26tPo9...o4HS/giphy.gif

P.S. I belive Cliff Levingston left after his junior year.

• ShockingButTrue
                          ShockingButTrue commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Heard it. Jeff is a chip off of the 'ol block. It's in their blood.
                      Working...
                      X