MEMPHIS PREGAME TALK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
    My only fear this game matches Cold’s. That McDuffie tries to put on a show or carry the team depending on how you feel about his motivations. The fact that volume scorer Jeremiah Martin will be on the other side makes me fear Duff will try to answer shot for shot. If that happens we are more likely to lose. If we play a team game we are more likely to win.
    Agreed. Hopefully, there isn't any jealousy issues that other members of the team took the spotlight in Tulsa. A team effort wins more games. The film room session should have shown that afterward as well. We don't need a guy going off for 20 points a game to win. If we continue to become what we did on Wednesday, good things will continue to happen. Hopefully that performance is continuing to be reiterated. It's the first biggest step in the right direction this team has made all year.

If I a gave you an option to have 24 assists tomorrow night or 24 points by MM, which one would you take? I think there's a clear answer here to a W.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Woodrow
      Woodrow commented
      Editing a comment
      If we make a high percentage of outside shots like we did in the Tulsa game we will have a lot of assists. If we shoot a low percentage we won't. I predict we will share the ball and shoot ok and win the game. Our defense is much better than the 1st time we played them.

• ShockerFever
      ShockerFever commented
      Editing a comment
      95% of our shots in the Tulsa game were good shots and based off of good passing. There were a lot of open looks because of that (and because of Tulsa's weak ass zone) I imagine the open looks will be fewer today but if we continue to pass the ball well, we'll still get many more good shots than we were getting a month ago.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    There are a lot of stupidity going around. The roller coaster may take a downward turn because they don’t continue to play well. But this team is only interested in winning. The way to do it just may not have gone from short term memory to long term memory. During the last game there wasn’t an iota of selfishness. But if things go bad it won’t be because of bad character. This is a fine bunch of kids. Even when they play well, the fans who have character issues still come out. It’s pathetic.
    Yep. Still weird.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

What’s the over and under on the number of high fives issued by McDuffie?

Comment

This McDuffie stuff reminds me of how fans view Jason Perez vs. Mo.

One is a heroe and the other forgotten. Unfortunately most fans have no real insight into what went down... they make conclusions without any real knowledge.

McDuffie doesn’t have as many assists as you would like, but I doubt many of you give him credit for drawing a double team and kicking to Ricky for wide open looks RT failed to take (never mind going 0 go 18 to start the season). Where do you think other teams send the help defender from? There was one game where McDuffie did that twice in one possession (on time and on target), Ricky never looked at the rim. Factor in the fact, guys like Erik go on airball streaks and the ten games where DD refused to shoot. Then realize McDuffie plays the four and he does not facilitate the offense like a point guard...

Nevermind the fact there are ways to look at stats and compare McDuffie’s game to past greats. You can then compare him to the greats during regular season games against top 100 teams and his numbers jump off the page. The one difference is all of those guys had experienced players to help shoulder the load when the poop was hitting the fan.

Finally, when Fred and Gregg rip dudes they are tough leaders. When McDuffie doesn’t give a high five he is a poor leader.

Anyhow - I hope McDuffie has another great game and I hope the team plays well. It seems to be a minority position to hold.
        Last edited by proshox; February 23, 2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• BOBB
          BOBB commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you may be reading too much in what I have to say. McDuffie should be our leading scorer. He should shoot the most shots. He has not been helped by his teammates sometimes.He’s also had games where he went Lone Ranger out there. I want him taking every look that comes his way out of the offense. If he gets doubled and kicks to a teammate that squanders the opportunity I can live with the results. A lot more than a falling down 3 with four hands in his face or a falling down drive with the entire other team in the paint.

I predicted our guards would have good games and that we would beat Tulsa. I wish I was
        as confident today as I was against Tulsa but I am not. Memphis starts five seniors against
        our young guns. Not likely that DD will stay as hot as he has been but we do need him and JB
        to contain Martin. I know many of you cringe when SHJ drives but I think both he and JB can
        get to the rim. Need two guys to shoot it well from the arc and the centers to continue their
        solid play on both ends. Should be a close coin flip game.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          What I like about DD is that he doesn’t force things. He can be a little too passive at times but he knows what a good shot is for himself. He’s a really good shooter when he doesn’t have a hand in his face. If they let off him, he may have another big scoring day. It all comes down to how Memphis wants to handle McDuffie.

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Yep. Still weird.
        Still an idiot.

Comment

I have no doubt that SHJ can get to the rim. He's proven over the last two years he can get there. His problem is that he's incredibly ineffective once he gets there. I think he's finally figuring out that in D1 he's going to be shooting layups at the rim into defenders' armpits. He's never needed the court vision to see where the help defenders are coming from and who that leaves open. Driving and dishing is a new skill for him to learn.
          Last edited by Aargh; February 23, 2019, 10:59 AM.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I have a couple of friends who are close to some Shocker players. They are so close, they often have over to their house and their kids are friends with the players too. I've heard that Marshall isn't always beloved (several times), but I've never heard that there is any strife or jealousy among players.

I've played several sports in high school and played in college too. I never played on a team where there wasn't some rivalries among players and while we weren't split, and we were friendly usually toward each other, never was there 100% camaraderie. That is impossible. But if Markis was in fact a problam, I think I would have heard that by now.

Some people search for drama (in fact they love it in this social media age) and see things that most likely don't exist.

Comment

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              So now we see where your love of AM comes from. Interesting.
              There has never ever been a good coach that was "always" beloved by his players so that's not really news.

My hope is that our fans and players put on a good show for the recruits tonight.

Comment

I have a couple of friends who are close to some Shocker players. They are so close, they often have over to their house and their kids are friends with the players too. I've heard that Marshall isn't always beloved (several times), but I've never heard that there is any strife or jealousy among players.

I've played several sports in high school and played in college too. I never played on a team where there wasn't some rivalries among players and while we weren't split, and we were friendly usually toward each other, never was there 100% camaraderie. That is impossible. But if Markis was in fact a problam, I think I would have heard that by now.

Some people search for drama (in fact they love it in this social media age) and see things that most likely don't exist.
              Thank you!!! I totally agree!

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
                This McDuffie stuff reminds me of how fans view Jason Perez vs. Mo.

One is a heroe and the other forgotten. Unfortunately most fans have no real insight into what went down... they make conclusions without any real knowledge.

McDuffie doesn’t have as many assists as you would like, but I doubt many of you give him credit for drawing a double team and kicking to Ricky for wide open looks RT failed to take (never mind going 0 go 18 to start the season). Where do you think other teams send the help defender from? There was one game where McDuffie did that twice in one possession (on time and on target), Ricky never looked at the rim. Factor in the fact, guys like Erik go on airball streaks and the ten games where DD refused to shoot. Then realize McDuffie plays the four and he does not facilitate the offense like a point guard...

Nevermind the fact there are ways to look at stats and compare McDuffie’s game to past greats. You can then compare him to the greats during regular season games against top 100 teams and his numbers jump off the page. The one difference is all of those guys had experienced players to help shoulder the load when the poop was hitting the fan.

Finally, when Fred and Gregg rip dudes they are tough leaders. When McDuffie doesn’t give a high five he is a poor leader.

Anyhow - I hope McDuffie has another great game and I hope the team plays well. It seems to be a minority position to hold.
                You're completely missing the point, per usual. It's not ALL about the points.

I can't believe a player can't do something as simple as a high five nowadays. It's definitely different from past teams. Whether he means to or not, it just doesn't look like he's engaged with the team a lot of the time ON the court WHEN it counts. You're mad when people critique him because of the little things. Well, that's the problem.. they are little things that he could/should be doing, but doesn't. It's almost automatic for every other player on any team in college basketball. I feel like there's still too much "I" in MM, which is ok I guess, but doesn't make for good senior leadership. You can deny it all you want.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                  I predicted our guards would have good games and that we would beat Tulsa. I wish I was
                  as confident today as I was against Tulsa but I am not. Memphis starts five seniors against
                  our young guns. Not likely that DD will stay as hot as he has been but we do need him and JB
                  to contain Martin. I know many of you cringe when SHJ drives but I think both he and JB can
                  get to the rim. Need two guys to shoot it well from the arc and the centers to continue their
                  solid play on both ends. Should be a close coin flip game.
                  SHJ just needs to be a 2 guard. Let him wait on the perimeter and shoot in-rhythm, open shots off passes. That's his best game. He can't get to the rim because he avoids contact (which leads to no FT's) and his JUCO stuff gets swatted 80% of the time. Just not good basketball.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• asiseeit
                    asiseeit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I mostly agree with your counter point that SHJ should play the role of the two guard but
                    when the opportunity presents itself, which I think it will tonight because of the way MU plays,
                    he should penetrate. Having said that I DO NOT want him dribbling up top constantly and
                    holding the ball !

Still an idiot.
                  Name-calling now? Truth must be starting to hurt.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I don't think anyone cares about your scrub minute stints at Cowley County Community College and related experiences.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Somehow we have seriously gotten off on the wrong track this year. What in the hell is wrong with pulling for every one one of our guys to play well?

Seems to me we have posters on this board who are hoping that certain players actually have a bad game so they can substantiate whatever misdirected point they are trying to make.

Pretty sure by now we all realize BB is a team game and that even GM and all the players have come to this conclusion as well.

Shocks win by 21 points.

Comment

Working...
                      X