No announcement yet.

Wichita State at Tulsa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried to post a photo of the "crowd" towards the end of the game. I failed, but not as miserably as the TU fans!
    Last edited by shockrah; February 21, 2019, 12:37 AM.
    Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
      Few thoughts as a just finished watching the game on DVR:

1. DD and SHJ were amazing tonight. When Samaje gets rid of that Coach Eck Juco street ball mentality and plays the way he was coached at East High, he is one of the best players in the conference, without a doubt.

2. Defensive rebounding was atrocious. Gotta get better on the boards.

3. Too many missed lay-ups, uncontested. IMO, 1 uncontested missed lay-up is 1 too many.

4. AAC officials as a whole are not good. We've had a few good ones this season. Pat Adams comes to mind and a few others. That being said, I've seen a lot worse.

5. The bigs aren't helping themselves by not understanding the principle of verticality and staying straight up. I agreed with several of the fouls in the post. I think things will be better in that department next season.

6. This team has the potential to go on a late season run and put themselves in position for the postseason. I think they have to win the AAC tournament to get an NCAA bid. The NIT is a possibility as is the CBI. It all comes down to consistency at this point. The schedule is favorable, but can this young team keep up the good play? I hope so.
      On #5, we have a freshman, a JUCO, and a sophomore that came into the season with around 100 minutes. They’re all making freshman level mistakes on D, and it is as expected.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Dexter Dennis is my favorite freshman, and he just cemented that in my mind.

Comment

• Sad news for those who care about our resume. Our beatdown of Tulsa will knock them out of the Top 75 in NET. We still won't have a Q1 win.

Better than losing though.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
            Sad news for those who care about our resume. Our beatdown of Tulsa will knock them out of the Top 75 in NET. We still won't have a Q1 win.

Better than losing though.
            Yes, but they still have time to move back into Q1. Along with Baylor and UCF.

Comment

• FadedCrown
              FadedCrown commented
              Editing a comment
              They can help us by knocking off Memphis on the road. We own the tiebreaker against them so.

• Originally posted by shockerfanmas View Post
            Few thoughts as a just finished watching the game on DVR:

1. DD and SHJ were amazing tonight. When Samaje gets rid of that Coach Eck Juco street ball mentality and plays the way he was coached at East High, he is one of the best players in the conference, without a doubt.

2. Defensive rebounding was atrocious. Gotta get better on the boards.

3. Too many missed lay-ups, uncontested. IMO, 1 uncontested missed lay-up is 1 too many.

4. AAC officials as a whole are not good. We've had a few good ones this season. Pat Adams comes to mind and a few others. That being said, I've seen a lot worse.

5. The bigs aren't helping themselves by not understanding the principle of verticality and staying straight up. I agreed with several of the fouls in the post. I think things will be better in that department next season.

6. This team has the potential to go on a late season run and put themselves in position for the postseason. I think they have to win the AAC tournament to get an NCAA bid. The NIT is a possibility as is the CBI. It all comes down to consistency at this point. The schedule is favorable, but can this young team keep up the good play? I hope so.
            1) DD, totally agree. Has really developed over the year, especially his defense. SMJ... do not post after hitting the weed. It will cause you to post goofy ass comments.
            SMJ had a good game - he did what he is capable of doing - hit open shots.
            One of the best players in the league?
            Apparently the witness protection program didn't pay for your satellite TV charges until last night.
            2) Agree, just an off night in the paint.
            3) also agree, must finish easy opportunities
            4) No such thing as AAC or Valley officials. I've covered this 1000 times but some people either can't read or just dumb.
            5) Agree again. they are learning and will get better. AM actually does a great job in this area. IPBC needs a bit of work.
            6) Duh. The balance of the league schedule is in their favor and has been discussed at length. The improvement of the Frosh has been a big factor too.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Interesting tidbit about DD if it hasn't been talked about yet, is that he started last night. Apparently he had "taken himself" out of the starting lineup previously. If that's true, I'd say it is a very good sign that he is back in. This likely means dude is starting to feel it. He is getting some serious confidence. WATCH OUT! He has huge potential.

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                On Monday's coaches show, HCGM said DD is making good progress and when he finally 'gets it', he'll be putting people on posters (paraphrased). Take it for what it's worth. Dexter Dennis gif's are pending.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l3vR3K...n9Vm/giphy.gif

P.S. On another note, most of the season I've felt sorry for RB... he provided some solid minutes last night. You can tell he doesn't miss a day in the weight room. The NRA approves of his guns.

• Hoping John Higgins gets a spot in the AAC tournament

Comment

• For those that were there : approx. how many Shockers fans were in attendance ? ( sorry if covered above)...

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                  Shocktoberfest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd say in the 500-750 range. I'm not a good guesser. The bottom line is that there was zero atmosphere in there. Weak. Very weak. It's kinda funny when you're in a mausoleum of an atmosphere and they are playing hype music. It is just odd. It so doesn't work. And also, for those of you there, did you find it odd they use the same stinking music we use for videos, etc. Is there a playbook for this stuff? Weird.

• shockrah
                  shockrah commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good guesstimate, Shocktoberfest. I'd say 500 seated behind the team and another 100 scattered around the arena. I tried posting a pic earlier, from the final 3 minutes. I sat on press row side, the seats behind the Shocker bench were pretty much filled, with a smattering of TU fans in the 2 sections to their right.
                  Last edited by shockrah; February 21, 2019, 10:46 PM.

• Again, the mystery of Frank Haith emerges....

Comment

• 1. Valley schools sold more tickets
                  2. I don't understand the "traveling" rule
                  3. everything looks better when you win
                  4. everything looks better when you shoot well
                  5. still wish we woulda got Jeriah Horne
                  6. everybody should have "sewer backup" on their homeowners
                  7. Torres is fun to watch sometimes
                  8. DD has a lot of upside
                  9. Frank Haith is overpaid
                  10. SHJ shot well, he makes most of the good shots he takes

Comment

• Kung Wu
                    Kung Wu commented
                    Editing a comment
                    "sewer backup" you say? I better take a look at my policy.

• BOBB
                    BOBB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Chris Jans’ NMSU drew nearly 12,000 the other day...against Seattle U. I think I could draw 500 people to a real estate seminar in Topeka. I read an article the other day that Tulsa has a hard time finding the requirements of AAC membership. 500-750 tickets per conference game aren’t helping that cause.

• Shocker basketball was fun to watch last night. 24 assists on 30 baskets. In the words of ShockRef "That is all.":poster_wsu:

Comment

• Interesting conference schedule for us this year. We were behind the 8-ball early, playing the first 6 games vs. the top-6 teams in the conference. But in actuality, we drew overall a good conference schedule with this young team. The four teams we played only once (Houston, UCF, Temple, USF) were all upper-conference teams, going 1-3. All lower-conference teams we play twice, so far going 5-1 with 4 lower-conference team games to play. My point is with the circumstances around blending 9 new faces into the program this year, this schedule was about as good as we could have hoped for.

My realistic goal is to go 3-2 the rest of the way and win 1 AAC tourney game, which would make us 9-9 in conference, 17-15 overall, good enough for NIT play. I will take that. Pie in the sky thinking would see us go 4-1 the rest of the way and win 2 AAC games, which would make us 10-8 in conference, 19-14 overall, good enough for NIT play (home game). I will take that and run. I know some posters talk of getting hot and winning the AAC tourney. We just aren't that good for that kind of extended run...and I am ok with that. Exciting times for Shocker basketball!!!

Comment

• BOBB
                      BOBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Barring a monumental collapse I am already pleased with this season. 18 wins is my stretch goal with 1 win in Memphis. We would need some help from other teams with upsets to win the tournament.

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                    Interesting conference schedule for us this year. We were behind the 8-ball early, playing the first 6 games vs. the top-6 teams in the conference. But in actuality, we drew overall a good conference schedule with this young team. The four teams we played only once (Houston, UCF, Temple, USF) were all upper-conference teams, going 1-3. All lower-conference teams we play twice, so far going 5-1 with 4 lower-conference team games to play. My point is with the circumstances around blending 9 new faces into the program this year, this schedule was about as good as we could have hoped for.

My realistic goal is to go 3-2 the rest of the way and win 1 AAC tourney game, which would make us 9-9 in conference, 17-15 overall, good enough for NIT play. I will take that. Pie in the sky thinking would see us go 4-1 the rest of the way and win 2 AAC games, which would make us 10-8 in conference, 19-14 overall, good enough for NIT play (home game). I will take that and run. I know some posters talk of getting hot and winning the AAC tourney. We just aren't that good for that kind of extended run...and I am ok with that. Exciting times for Shocker basketball!!!
                    There is a very real probability of going 5-0 the rest of the way. Memphis at home will be our toughest test. @SMU will be tough, but i think we can handle them. UCONN without Adams, ECU and @Tulane should be easily winnable.

That would be 11-7 and should be good enough for the 5 seed in the AAC tourney or possibly a 4 seed if UCF struggles with their extremely backloaded schedule. They are 9-3 and still have @Cincy, SMU, @USF, @Houston, Cincy, @Temple. They could go 2-4 there easily. We would have the tie breaker with them.

Comment

• BOBB
                      BOBB commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Shockerfan98 you are dreaming. The only way we are going to the dance is to win the conference tourney.

• WstateU
                      WstateU commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nothing wrong with a little dreaming...

♥ Gary Wright singing, "Dream Weaver," from his 1975 album, "The Dream Weaver." This is the "original" version of the legendary song. One of the great songs....

• 1979Shocker
                      1979Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think if we go 5-9 and win the tiebreaker with UCF, we'll end up playing them first. I believe the 5 and 12 seeds play (probably UCF and Tulane), with the winner playing the 4 seed (us). I we get the 5 seed and win against the 12 seed (Tulane), we would still end up playing UCF (the 4 seed). If all goes well after that, we'll most likely play Houston (the 1 seed).

• After last night win, we are in the top 100 in the NET rankings
                    Get NCAA college basketball rankings from the Associated Press, USA Today Coaches poll and the NCAA NET Rankings.
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                      Shocktoberfest commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Wow. When you look at that list by conference, uhhh Tulane and ECU. Just wow. Otherwise the conference is just SMU moving up a few spots from having the whole stinking league in the top 100. I like our new league.

• newshock1234
                      newshock1234 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed and the MVC highest team is loyala at 125
                  Working...
                  X