No announcement yet.

The Basketball Tournament - Wichita Regional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taylor Eldrudge: Wichita shatters TBT attendance record as Aftershocks debut in wild Koch Arena

Wichitans packed into Koch Arena and almost tripled the TBT attendance record. TBT Founder Jonathan Mugar said it was about 2,500.

Exactly 7,184 people filled the stands. Mugar said Thursday night was beyond what he ever imagined for TBT.

“The game couldn’t go slow enough,” Mugar said. “I enjoyed every second of it, and I didn’t want it to be over.”

Comment

• shoxlax
      shoxlax commented
      Editing a comment
      It really seemed like there were more than 7100 in the stands. I’m not one to exaggerate crowds either. Would hope there would be 8k tomorrow.

• I have to say that I really like the Elam Ending. As do others:

“I love the Elam Ending because it makes you keep playing the game the right way and keep trying to make plays,” Hannah said. “Hearing those roars was unbelievable, man. That was the best feeling I’ve had in my life to hear that many Shocker fans still yelling my name.”
    Taylor Eldridge: Frankamp catches fire to power Aftershocks’ fourth-quarter rally to opening TBT win

Minor injuries prevented Toure’ Murry and Tekele Cotton from playing in Thursday’s game and make them questionable for this weekend’s games. An injury also prevented Malcolm Armstead from making it to Wichita for the event.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 26, 2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• I want to give a shout out to the band! Well done!!!!
      Go Shocks!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
        I want to give a shout out to the band! Well done!!!!
        AGREED!!!! The band was awesome!!! It brought so much energy and they sounded great. Also, although it was short, I loved the Pregame Hype Intro Video. Cool to see all the old guys in one video!!

Comment

• This town just loves good basketball. What a treat to watch.

Random comment: weird to watch every white guy with a tan! July basketball is strange but awesome!

one more thing: I desperately want to watch Tekele Cotton play in Koch one more time.

Comment

• Band was great especially Mickey Mouse at the end, nice to hear again. How about one 25 to 6 to 4 for old times sake! Would be very nice to see a 2-3000 crowd tonight...let's move the whole tournament to Wichita in the future!

Comment

• If I was Marshall sitting in that crowd I’ve got to feel amazing. All these men he has formed playing together from different eras and he is the connecting link. From a life fulfillment perspective this is like Mr. Holland’s Opus.

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                Thought the same thing... had to feel like a proud papa.

• Kung Wu
                Kung Wu commented
                Editing a comment
                Everything you said is true, but ... he had to cringe a little when Cle got the ball a couple of times. hahahaha

• Dan
                Dan commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure if he cringed or got a sense of deja vu

• Thank for bringing it Shocker Nation!!! Excellent way to spend a July Thursday night. Tekele has a chance of playing tomorrow, while Toure not so much. GO AFTERSHOX!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                If I was Marshall sitting in that crowd I’ve got to feel amazing. All these men he has formed playing together from different eras and he is the connecting link. From a life fulfillment perspective this is like Mr. Holland’s Opus.
                He definitely left the court when they went down by 10 though haha. His face looked a little red. Might have just gotten back from golf though .. lol

Comment

• wheathead
                  wheathead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That’s true. The itch to run down to the bench, push Karon aside and start chewing a$$ must have been unreal. Once a coach always a coach.

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm sure Cle's showboating and complaining caused him some angst...

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlW3...cgak/giphy.gif

P.S. I'll bet he's still proud.

• I saw him during one timeout approach the bench area and say a few words. I'm sure they have heard that one-way conversation before.

Comment

• I haven't lived in Wichita for nearly 35 years but man, you folks brought tears to my eyes last night! I'm often dumbfounded when watching college BB games on ESPN/CBS, etc., and see how empty some of these arenas/gyms are. And to see more than 7,000 of you screaming fanatics at some odd basketball tournament of little consequence in the middle of summer was just astounding but not totally unexpected. My worst fear was you all would break the record by hitting four thousand but made up of Chickenhawk fans and fans of the Iowa team: we'd break the record but it wouldn't be quite as spectacular as what was witnessed last night by a national audience. Saturday's game will no doubt be another record breaker and if they can whip Cancer's ass, I expect nothing short of a sell out for Sunday's championship game.

If there was any doubt that Wichita is a basketball town and loves its Shockers (there really wasn't), that doubt was also shattered last night. Effing amazing Shocker Nation! Well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                    Now That was great fun. C. Hannah became Shaq's best buddy with those awesome passes,and played solid D. on their star. Shaq finished strong! Frankamp lit up the scoreboard like a Christmas tree. Great to see all our former Shocks out playing at 21st and Hillside again!!! What Great Shocker Fans that were louder than this Tourney may have ever witnessed?
                    Man C. Hannah is still the sht. Give the ****** ball to him and let him run the show. He knows who to get it to and when he needs to take the shot. Shocker offense looks good when he is in control. And Cle needs to shut up and just play. His mojo strength is also his weakness. You got to be humble and respect the game. We need Tekele andToure. We need Conor F. to keep playing agressive. G. Stutts don't worry about Iowa players flopping. Thats their best defense. Our Bigs need more scoring inside. Let's go shocks. Koch atmosphere was just awesome!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Man C. Hannah is still the sht. Give the ****** ball to him and let him run the show. He knows who to get it to and when he needs to take the shot. Shocker offense looks good when he is in control. And Cle needs to shut up and just play. His mojo strength is also his weakness. You got to be humble and respect the game. We need Tekele andToure. We need Conor F. to keep playing agressive. G. Stutts don't worry about Iowa players flopping. Thats their best defense. Our Bigs need more scoring inside. Let's go shocks. Koch atmosphere was just awesome!!!
                      I'm really disappointed we only got aggressive Conner on a handful of occasions. He's the best player on the floor when he wants to be

Comment

• IndianaShocker
                        IndianaShocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes...@ Loyola 2017 comes to mind.

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      The Shox put 7,000 butts in seats in July on ESPN for a game that means nothing in terms of college basketball. Those fans showed up because they love basketball, but more importantly, they love Shocker basketball players.

The Shox put more butts in seats in July for a game than many P5 schools get for their D1 games. The Shox fans were loud and rowdy. When the sideline announcer does an on-court interview after the starting lineups are introduced and says, on ESPN, "I can hardly hear you for the noise this crowd is making" and later the players on the court don't hear a whistle on a tie-up...

...this is going to make recruiting just a bit easier. I would think that any player Marshall is seriously recruiting and that player is seriously considering WSU, that player watched this game. Tomorrow Marshall can call that recruit and ask him, "How did you like that crowd that's going to be cheering for you when you play here".

This game also gave our current new players an experience of what it is like to play in Koch . And as Coach M has said in the past losing is not something we accept or tolerate here. Play angry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                        I'm really disappointed we only got aggressive Conner on a handful of occasions. He's the best player on the floor when he wants to be
                        Conner could not get off the Schneid for a very long time. He tried mightily and the rock just wouldn't fall for him, game after game after game until he lost his confidence and it became a negative feedback loop. He tried everything: playing aggressive, letting the game come to him, not shooting at all and just becoming a non-factor -- nothing worked. It was just a long string of bad luck for that kid for a while.

But he eventually overcame, and man can that kid play when his confidence is where it should be.
                        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• WstateU
                          WstateU commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Kinda like my golf game. Ross and I hit the links frequently back in the day and my game was rock solid... I sure wasn't lacking in confidence when all the big schools (Friends, Tabor, etc.) were wine and dining me. We spent our mornings 'shocking wheat' and afternoons on the links sporting our "knickers". I'm telling you, my buddies and I took a lot of money from old McBurney... we called him "easy money". I could "spoon" it with the best and there was nothing like the sound of a well struck ball with a hickory shaft. Sorry, where the hell was I going with this?

Oh, I lost my confidence the next half century+ and it never returned... happy to see Conner didn't have to wait 50 years.

I give you Mr. and Mrs. WstateU; these aren't the days my friends...

• Kung Wu
                          Kung Wu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          lmao WstateU
                      Working...
                      X