Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loved seeing the big man JT still going strong

Comment

• I'm pretty sure this will become our annual summer fix. ESPN loved it!!! The Basketball Tournament loved it!!! And SHOCKER fans loved it!!! Bubble U...not so much.

GO SHOCKS!!!!
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Anyone got a replay link?

Comment

• pie n eye
          pie n eye commented
          Editing a comment
          Should be available on the espn app.

• FlyingWheat
          FlyingWheat commented
          Editing a comment
          Apparently you need a subscription to watch replays. This is the first time I’ve seen that.

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        I'm pretty sure this will become our annual summer fix. ESPN loved it!!! The Basketball Tournament loved it!!! And SHOCKER fans loved it!!! Bubble U...not so much.

GO SHOCKS!!!!
        Can't agree more!!!

Comment

• Kudos to Karon for having the nads to sit Cle down and let him watch us succeed without him for awhile.

Fred and Gregg ain’t around to control him.

Comment

• WuDrWu
            WuDrWu commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 Karon did a really nice job.

Cle went out, and we went on a run.

• NCAABound
            NCAABound commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I'm totally muffed about Cle. IMO this could be 100% why he's here.

• proshox
            proshox commented
            Editing a comment
            Cleanthony is an Alpha that needs a controlling Alpha to keep him check.

Tonight, Cleanthony was distracting multiple players throughout the first half and early in the second half.

At Cleanthony’s peak, it was Fred that asserted himself as the top dog. Fred kept all the counterproductive traits Cleanthony suffers from in check.

• A couple of observations:

I have never uttered the words, “Get the ball out of Cle’s hands” before tonight. He is a special talent but has become quite the head case. Calling for the ball 35 feet out, wanting to run point, taunting opposing players after plays, and taking a swing at Timmer (which he could and maybe should have been ejected for) were not endearing moments.

JT and Shaq look a little slower.

Conner and Clevin are undersized, but they can shine in these games. The guys guarding them for the most part won’t be quite as athletic as the guys who defended them in college.

Our game looked so much prettier than the one preceding it. I think the Self Made team was made up of a lot of guys who haven’t played in a while and it showed. Even Arthur, a former NBA guy, hadn’t played in the last year and looked out of shape.

We will have to play much better against the Sideline Cancer team if we hope to have a shot.

I would’ve hated to lose to a team with Reed freaking Timmer and a bunch of other white dudes on it.

Shannon Shorter struggled a bit but made some good plays down the stretch.

Rashard Kelly is such a steadying presence for this team.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post

You’re both trying to get to the same score. You want more possessions than the other team to try and get to that score. I don’t see how calling timeout while you have possession isn’t the optimal Elam play.

This is assuming Elam doesn’t change possession by jump ball or lower score getting the ball, which would make sense but I’m unsure of the actual rule.
            It’s interesting think think about.

My thought was that as the leading team it makes sense to stop the clock as soon as possible under four minutes assuming you don’t have possession. I think that would be more true the larger your lead because you want to set the goal with the largest lead possible. If you continue to let the clock run you risk letting the deficit shrink.

As the trailing team I think you would want to keep the clock running as long as possible to cut into the deficit before Elam kicked in.

Just my thought process, I’m not sure that’s definitely the optimal play.

Comment

• AndShock
              AndShock commented
              Editing a comment
              Aren’t you just as likely to increase the lead vs decrease it? I think the difference becomes more obvious as the score gets closer. I’m also not sure if you getting the ball should count as an extra 2 possessions (+1 for you, -1 for the other team) or just 1 extra possession. But would you rather need 9 points with 5 possessions or 8 points with 4. It seems like the extra possession would be worth it but I’d like to see the math. Possession might also matter less as the lead goes up.

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            A couple of observations:

I have never uttered the words, “Get the ball out of Cle’s hands” before tonight. He is a special talent but has become quite the head case. Calling for the ball 35 feet out, wanting to run point, taunting opposing players after plays, and taking a swing at Timmer (which he could and maybe should have been ejected for) were not endearing moments.

JT and Shaq look a little slower.

Conner and Clevin are undersized, but they can shine in these games. The guys guarding them for the most part won’t be quite as athletic as the guys who defended them in college.

Our game looked so much prettier than the one preceding it. I think the Self Made team was made up of a lot of guys who haven’t played in a while and it showed. Even Arthur, a former NBA guy, hadn’t played in the last year and looked out of shape.

We will have to play much better against the Sideline Cancer team if we hope to have a shot.

I would’ve hated to lose to a team with Reed freaking Timmer and a bunch of other white dudes on it.

Shannon Shorter struggled a bit but made some good plays down the stretch.

Rashard Kelly is such a steadying presence for this team.
            Couldn't agree more about Cle, but totally disagree about JT and Shaq. They were difference makers at time on offense.

Comment

• We need Cotton. Our perimeter D sucked big time.

Comment

• Love seeing JT, Clevin, and Stutz mix in with the recent guys.

I hope his teammates find Clevin and he shoots more next game!

Comment

• WuDrWu
                  WuDrWu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Clev's D was outstanding, I had him the 2nd best player on the court after FranKING.

• This is an awesome thing though. I wonder if the high attendance would put us in a good spot to host again next year. Shocker basketball in July? Can’t they beat that!

Comment

• 3 of the top 10 from Koch Arena.

Comment

• 1. That was kinda fun.
                    2. Ain't gonna bother going friday.
                    3. KU lost badly with a lot of big names.
                    4. Cle coulda been ejected.
                    5. A total waste of 3 officials. 1 woulda been just as good.
                    6. Cle is a human highlight reel, for sure.
                    7. We got out-rebounded I would guess.
                    8. Hope Cotton plays Saturday.
                    9. We won the game while Cle was out.
                    10. I got to keep my water bottle lid.

Comment

• Anybody know the real story on Tekele and Toure not playing? Are they hurt, or maybe being held out because playing in something like this puts their pro contracts at risk if they get injured or something? I’d hope not the latter since they were marketed as being part of the team. And what about Malcolm - was he even in the building?

Glad to get a win, but do hope to see all the guys that were marketed as being on the team.

Comment

• Ta Town Shocker
                      Ta Town Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You beat me to it by a couple of minutes but I'm wondering the same.

• Total speculation here but is it possible Toure and Tekele cannot take the floor due to contractual reasons with their overseas teams? It's hard to imagine either not taking the floor unless they had something major like a broken leg which isn't the case.
                    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                    X