No announcement yet.

The Basketball Tournament - Wichita Regional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prize money for the Wichita Regional is up to $75,278.

That puts ticket revenues at just over $300,000. That should equate to ticket sales right around 5,000 at this point.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 23, 2019, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• shock-it-to-me
      shock-it-to-me commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t understand where Shocker fans are at on this. If there’s 5000 tickets sold, you’d have to expect 1000 to 1500 of those are KU fans. Another few hundred for the K state and all the other teams. So maybe 3500 shocker tickets sold? Is everybody planning on buying them the day of?

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a new event and people just may not be that tuned in to it. Remember Shockernet represents a relatively small piece of the Shocker fan base and includes perhaps the most fanatical group of Shocker fans. We only draw about 4,000 to 5,000 for Shocker Madness and that is a free event and those folks are probably the core of Shocker Nation that TBT will appeal to and some of those may not be able to justify the cost. Plus many may stay home and watch what they can on the tube. We'll see what kind of walk-up business this will do.

OTOH, ticket revenue for the Wichita Regional exceeds that of the other 7 regionals combined at this point so it is a little hard to rag on Shocker fans too much. The worst thing that could happen at this point, especially if their is a future for the AfterShocks in the TBT, is for the AfterShocks to make an early exit from the Tournament.

• ShockerFever
      ShockerFever commented
      Editing a comment
      It doesn’t help that our regional tickets are 5x higher than any of the other ones where they’re practically giving them away. I assume they figured everybody would just throw over $45 for a KU-WSU basketball meeting and called it good. That’s the problem with this athletic dept. They’re too damn greedy. They’d rather have 5000 people pay $20 for a ticket than 10000 pay $10 for one. Its a cool event and I’m excited for it but add into the fact that it’ll be readily available on national tv, is even more of a reason to bypass a $100 outing give or take outrageous concession pricing and just chill at home and watch for free.

• So today is our 47th wedding anniversary......first words outa my bride's mouth this morning...….."you have any idea what Carl Hall has been up to?"

Comment

• Does anybody happen to know if we will be running a hype video for our game? I can't imagine what Koch Arena will be like if there are "best of" videos of these guys on the big screen. Place will be absolutely nuts!

Comment

• Be great to see many Shocker Alumni Basketball Players in attendance even if they do not play. Could be like a big homecoming event. ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        It will be a fascinating case study to see how players like Zach Brown and Rashard Kelly perform on offense, not necessarily from a numbers perspective, but more from a stylistic perspective. My theory has long been that Marshall's system is a little too rigid and that Marshall himself can get under guys' skin and cause them to think a little too much about what they're doing instead of reacting. I'll be interested to follow that. I think Daishon Smith is a great example of that as well.

I think players like ZB and RK will benefit from a more open style, while it may hurt guys who lack lateral quickness, specifically Shaq, Stutz, and Conner.
        At one of the practices, RK was extremely versatile and fluid shooting 3's and attacking off the dribble.
        Last edited by im4wsu; July 23, 2019, 10:35 AM.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• This program hasn't been the same since CLE left. His Jersey should be retired as he is clearly one of the GOAT's. Continue on...

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                WSUwatcher commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, no, ST -- I agree that Cle was a very good player who represented WSU impressively in some big-time games.

But the next guy to have his jersey in the rafters should be Warren Armstrong (Jabali), hands down, and it's too bad that his somewhat tumultuous life has apparently worked against him. Look up his record as a Shocker, and you'll see what I mean.

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, no, watcher -- I never said that Warren shouldn't have his jersey in the rafters or that he not be the next guy. Simply put, there has been a pattern when it comes to the rafters and it is All-American status (at least of some sort). Given the timeline, 3 players that came after Jabali already have their jerseys hung and some here wonder how long it will be before at least Fred has his jersey up there. Given those timelines, Warren's opportunity may have passed. If WSU changes to not retiring numbers, Warren will have a much better chance. I don't believe there was anything in my previous statement that was untrue.

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                My old good buddy Ross is still churning 6' under... his jersey should have been the first to hang in the rafters... smh!

Led University team to third place in National AAU tourney. Named as center on All-American first team; first basketball player to be so named to All-American team; member of team, 1926-29; Captain, 1928; selected as member of several all-star teams; member of Wichita Henry¹s Clothiers Team who won three National AAU Championships, 1930; 1932, selected 1st team NAAU. Charter Inductee, 1979.

I will continue to fight for his inclusion until the bitter end...

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2JJO0...5OTe/giphy.gif

• Has Armstead arrived?

Comment

• Ta Town Shocker
                Ta Town Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Didn't see him at the open practice.

• BostonWu
                BostonWu commented
                Editing a comment
                Taylor reported Armstead is injured and won't play. At least we appear rather deep at pg.

• Comment

• Looks like some of these games can be watched "tape delayed" for free on the ESPN app. But yet I did watch a live one last week. Weird.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• the knock against retiring Early would be that he was only a 2 year player, but I agree, it's him and Fred, although Ron would be right behind them.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cliff was a 3 year player, so there's that. In Cle's 2 years, the team made the Dance both years. One year making the F4 and he scored 24 points,10 rebounds in a 4 point loss to Louisville. In the other year, the team had an undefeated regular season and he scored 31 in the 2 point loss to Kentucky, that game being considered by many as the best game of the tournament. Led the Shockers both of those years in scoring.

• Open Practices today for all teams but Marquette and Self hand maids, are not in town yet. Aftershocks go 2:30 to 3:30

Comment

• Ta Town Shocker
                    Ta Town Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for sharing. I'll be heading that way shortly.

• Comment

• Toure didn't participate in the practice either. Considering the practice was little more than shooting and light drills, I'll go out on a limb and say neither plays tomorrow.

Durley, Stutz, and Shaq looked really good. I hope the post is fed on a consistent basis. This will be the key to winning IMO.

​​
                    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                    X