Wichita State vs UConn Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Maybe? Or is it the road games after that brutal Cincy loss that took their confidence. I mean ES airballed 3-4 threes in the last two games
    Not at all important! At the end of the day, all that matters is homeboy isn't scared of Jaron Cumberland!

Comment

• The good, the bad and the ugly. Starting with the good. IMHO the young players are getting
      experience and they play hard without giving up. They have been playing in the shadows of
      the seniors however and that needs to stop. They need to assert themselves more and more
      going forward. I saw some of that last night after the bad start. The bad now. Poor ball
      movement, poor movement without the ball, poor floor recognition, poor interior passing, all
      resulting in poor offensive chemistry, shooting % and production. We have to start moving the
      ball quicker / sharper around the perimeter all the while looking for open cutters and rolling
      big men. I have seen AM roll off his screen numerous times to an open lane only to be
      ignored by a dribbling perimeter player ( DD and SHJ are you reading this? ). Hate to mention
      ugly so I won't only to say that it involves seniors.

We need a win Wednesday. Fans need to get in to it at the very start. Would love to see us come
      out in a full court press of some sort with lots of energy. These guys need to get the juices / sweat
      going right away. MM has to play energetic defense cause it helps his offensive flow so much and
      that applies to other players, as well. Can't wait to get 10-15 down to get after it. All players need
      to be MOVING and seeing one another especially the seniors. Start judging guys based on
      their court awareness, assists and defense.

Comment

• The complete turnover and changing of the guard with respect to active posters is comical.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaHawk View Post
          I’d rather be 8-11 and be in the AAC than be 17-2 and in the Valley. We’d probably be top 1 or 2 in the valley but I’d rather suck in the AAC than be the best in the MVC.
          Spoken like a KU fan who attributes Wichita States success over the years to playing in the Valley. No respect for a league whose teams regularly knock KU out of the tourney.

We have not been a good team this year and being in the Valley would not change that.

Yes, long term I’m happy we’re in the American but the “better a loser in the American than champion of the Valley” take is bullshit, IMO.
          Last edited by pie n eye; January 27, 2019, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• shoxlax
            shoxlax commented
            Editing a comment
            As much as I hate to say it we would not be close to 17-1 in the Valley. Upper half maybe, but this team right now is poor on the road where we play in front of 1,000 or 10,000 fans.

• SHOCKvalue
            SHOCKvalue commented
            Editing a comment
            ^This.

These “8-11” AAC versus “17-2” MVC statements remind many of us of the old(er) guard to recall a certain fan base infatuated with alcohol and sweater vests.

We would very likely be top half in the MVC, that is fairly certain. Anything more is posturing. The MVC is much weaker than it used to be, but it ain’t the MEAC.

• I don’t post a lot during the season. I don’t think I usually have much to offer in terms of perspective than some others on the site. Now might be a good time to share due to our record and play.

I don’t expect anything from the freshman. They are going to play inconsistently. They are 2 and 3 star players because they are inconsistent. Zion Williamson at Duke is a 5 star player. He is because he is good for about 15 to 20 or more points a game. Our players can’t do that.

A lot of the blame for this years performance I place on Marshall and the coaches over the last two years. I will reserve my overall judgement until after the season is over.

I think about a basketball season like a horse race. We are not even half way through the race. The race is not over. I don’t yet know how my horse, or basketball team will finish this year. I am willing to wait until the race is over, then I will evaluate the race and my team.

I will say this, I think McDufffie is a good player that is getting g a lot more bad press on here than I think is deserved. Just some of my thoughts.

Comment

• McDuffie is not playing under control which is bad basketball and bad leadership. His wild, off balance shots were painful to watch yesterday. By this point, in his 4th year, he shouldn't be playing so helter-skelter. SHJ is out of control (always has been). I think this is all driving HCGM a bit nuts but he is bound and determined to go with those guys as he doesn't feel their is any leadership potential developed, at this point, with the younger guys. DD is showing flashes of what could happen. JE has gone awol, ES shows flashes of brilliance and debacle, JB has been a disappointment but still shows potential, AM has been on the upswing (and I hope this continues with more playing time), Poor Bear is just gone. Much of this has been the same for a few weeks...some of it has been building the entire season. What I mentioned on another thread, though, I'll repeat here. The attitude stunk at times last year year...some of us sensed it, commented on it, and had it validated at the end of the season by the players. I've sensed some of that same sentiment this season. We will see at least 4-5 current Shockers not with the team next year (including MM and SHJ). We already lost one guy earlier in the season. The chemistry is all wrong...and HCGM had better get into the lab.

Comment

• A friend of mine said it best today over lunch. Our offense is pass, pass, Kobe!

Comment

• There was a Scott Thompson sighting in Storrs Conn. yesterday.

Comment

• My 11-year old grandson had a game at the South YMCA Farha Sports Center at 6:00 pm on Saturday. To get to that I would need to leave at 5:30. I told my wife I would watch the the first part of the Shocker game and then decide whether to go to my grandsons game or stay and watch the Shockers. You all know what the start of the Shocker game looked like and then my grandson called my wife and wanted to know if grandpa was coming to his game. It was not a hard decision. I followed the live stats of the Shocker game and heard some of the post-game show although missed 3G's post-game interview if he had one. After reading he game thread today I think I made the right decision.

Comment

• What ggg did here was as remarkable as what Coach Snyder did at KSU.....what an amazing ride it has been! But what happens next is also up to Coach. The question is.....Does he have a second act?

Comment

• We need a blackout game and to rally behind our team, players and coach.

Comment

• Just wanted to add one more post to this thread since I made the trek to Storrs and can report a little on my observations.
                        First off, Storrs is not easy to get to. You cannot really bus or train in so we rented a car in NYC, it was about a 2.5 hour drive, easy drive. Stopped in New Haven for what many consider the best pizza in America - https://pepespizzeria.com.
                        The Uconn campus is literally in the middle of nowhere. Storrs itself is a tiny little town. The campus is pretty big and nice but there just doesn't seem like there is anything to do on or directly around campus. We stumbled upon what we think might be the only bar near campus - Ted's - www.tedsbar.com. We got there at 3:00 and were able to grab the last two open bar stools. By 3:30 the place was wall to wall UConn students and young alumni, so this seemed like the place to be.

The arena feels like an older arena. Weird design as the "concourse" is inside the seating area, not outside the seating like most arenas. Only 2 sets of restrooms in the entire place and the concessions were really small. It was really small time considering the 4 Nat'l Championship banners (seats around 10,000). It was sold out but not real loud, as it was over at 8-0. Can't really say anything good about the game, you all saw the same thing I did. I felt bad that McDuff wasn't able to perform in front of his large group of family/friends. Outside of McDuffie's group, I would say there were around 20 WSU fans scattered around. We drove back to NYC after the game. Aside from the game, it was a pretty fun day, although I'm not sure I'd make that trip again.

Comment

• Eldridge breaks down why the offense struggles. He sticks to facts and stats, but the facts and stats are more negative than what we consider negative posts on SN.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• In a nutshell, it comes down to piss-poor 3 point shooting. So bad, in fact, that opposing teams DGAF when we're wide open because we're either going to pass up the wide open shot or brick (or airball) the opportunity.
                            The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                            In a nutshell, it comes down to piss-poor 3 point shooting. So bad, in fact, that opposing teams DGAF when we're wide open because we're either going to pass up the wide open shot or brick (or airball) the opportunity.
                            In a nutshell, Yes except for Markis. Then he takes 3-4 bad shots because the pressure is on him to score if we want to win. SHJ has also been good in our best games, and when on, he is capable of creating his own shot, except he is very inconsistent as a shooter and has some very bad games which kills us.

Comment

Working...
                            X