No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs UConn Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is becoming hard to watch this team since is appears we are now regressing, there is absolutely NO chemistry on this team. To me it appears that the seniors think they can do it all themselves, never pass the ball inside when our center works his butt off to get open, drives in amongst the trees and blindly and throws up a prayer, dribble, dribble, dribble until they are forced to take a last second shot . Sometimes I wonder what coach sees in the film sessions, how can he not make some changes in players playing times. I am quite sure recruits watching this embarrassing performance will not be lining up to play here.

Comment

• B1ShockFan
      B1ShockFan commented
      Editing a comment
      I have watched Shocker basketball faithfully for over 50 years, this is some of the most embarrassing basketball I have seen. Maybe I just have much higher expectations.

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you sleep during the 90’s? Can’t blame you if you did, but there is zero comparison. We would be 0-19 with most of those teams and losing games by 40-50 points.

Probably time we all get some shut-eye and revaluate tomorrow. Let’s support our team Wednesday night and help get them out of this funk.

• Teddy Graham
      Teddy Graham commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow B1ShockFan, you edited the post that I was referencing. Originally your post said "...they (recruits) want to play on teams that expect to win." For some reason you changed it to "...expect to play smart." 3G has created a national brand out of Shocker basketball and when a kid gets an offer from him it means something more than I ever thought it would just a few years back. I have been watching WSU basketball since about 1975 and we have had more success in the past 7 years than we had in the previous 40. I guess I know why you changed your post. I would agree with the overall sentiment that our team doesn't play smart right now, but considering the high BBIQ of guys like FVV, Ron Baker, and Landry Shamet (not to mention countless others like Wessel, Cotton, Frankamp, et al) I think recruits know that they may come in not playing too smart but will be given every opportunity to change that.

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Coach just said "my decision" on why he didn't play
    That doesn’t sound good for Poor Bear. He may be the latest player to go the Shocker version of “One and Done”.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
      WSUwatcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't jump the gun, Singeril -- JT Durley was getting that treatment for a long time but turned out fine eventually, and Shaq was left home for a game his sophomore year

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
    It is becoming hard to watch this team since is appears we are now regressing, there is absolutely NO chemistry on this team. To me it appears that the seniors think they can do it all themselves, never pass the ball inside when our center works his butt off to get open, drives in amongst the trees and blindly and throws up a prayer, dribble, dribble, dribble until they are forced to take a last second shot . Sometimes I wonder what coach sees in the film sessions, how can he not make some changes in players playing times. I am quite sure recruits watching this embarrassing performance will not be lining up to play here.
    I think this is a fair observation. What do Marshall and the coaches see during film sessions? There is absolutely zero adjustments being made from game to game on offense. It's the same trash over and over and over. There are little to no sets. It's mainly the two seniors chucking up shots and hope for rebounders there for putbacks. That's it. There's no attempt to get the ball inside at all.

That is definitely the most frustrating thing during this latest stretch is the repeating of the same thing over and over. It seems like Marshall is hellbent on "letting it ride on the seniors", as he has said as much in his postgame interviews. I'm not quite sure I understand that strategy. It appears our seniors aren't quite as good as we think they are as they are "carrying" us to a 1-6 conference record out of the shoot and some dismal, dismal offensive outputs. Too much one-on-one ball and assists are at an all-time low. So what do we do? Run the same damn **** the next game. I'm honestly wondering what happens at practice during the week.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Someone help me out here. Is a tactic such as intentionally sitting players, so they get so frustrated on the bench, they'll ask for a transfer something that is used in college? Or can a college coach simply pull a scholarship at the end of the year and let him find another school?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
        Someone help me out here. Is a tactic such as intentionally sitting players, so they get so frustrated on the bench, they'll ask for a transfer something that is used in college? Or can a college coach simply pull a scholarship at the end of the year and let him find another school?
        Scholarships are year to year I believe. That said.... Pulling scholarships wouldn't exactly help recruiting

Comment

• We will see better players next year, mark my word.

Comment

• This roster doesn’t have “plus” players. I don’t care if it is loaded with newcomers, all of them except IPBC have had enough time to show the “it” factor required lead be a top 50 team down the road.

I like every one one of the freshman, but I don’t expect any of them to be anything more than solid glue guys. Their basic skill sets and athleticism don’t translate into future stars.

Matty B., Sean O., PJ, Howard, Burns, Kampman, Evans, Perez all showed tangible upside by this time in their careers.

HCGM has a lot of work to do.

Comment

• Teddy Graham
              Teddy Graham commented
              Editing a comment
              I do think that Dexter will be an exceptional player. He is an incredible athlete, seems to genuinely want to be a good defender and has shown that he is capable already. I am waiting for him to flip the aggression switch. I think him (and the others) are still not confident about where they are to be offensively (thinking more than reacting). I am hoping that when he gets that confidence and feels comfortably within the offense he is going to be more aggressive.

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              Dexter has the physical tools to be great. He has to expand his skills which is certainly possible.

• Teddy Graham
              Teddy Graham commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely. I wonder if almost all FR are like that (need to expand their skills) but most aren't in a position to have to play the minutes our guys are so those current weaknesses aren't exposed as brightly. I really like the apparent attitude of the new guys - from the get go I've felt like they are guys that bring their lunch pail to practice and work hard. Each guy has things to work on, but there are a lot that they do well and I don't think any are overmatched physically.

• Kinda funny how many posters only post after losses or bad times. And how many of them have "been fans for decades"

Comment

• Speed
              Speed commented
              Editing a comment
              Well... it's been a while since we've been able to post under alternative circumstances.

• shoxlax
              shoxlax commented
              Editing a comment
              ...and they can’t take it any more, and it’s the worst team they ever can remember. I love it, keep getting rid of your tickets and I will keep moving down towards the floor. I will have the last laugh.

• A glimmer of hope...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              The Shocker fan base could certainly use a boost. Hope the the Shocks are able to bounce back and take advantage of the schedule lightening up a bit.

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Oh it feels like the 90's in terms of wins and losses. Although during the 90's I probably would be on cloud 9 with a couple of the wins we have had. However, during the 90's we didn't play a top 20 schedule and weren't in this strong of a league.

I just dont think we are headed to the abyss.
            We did have the Cohen trifecta.

Comment

• 12eagle
              12eagle commented
              Editing a comment
              90 percent of the posters do not even know what you are referring too.

• We probably won’t lose again. 14-0 and dance

Comment

• If we have one of the toughest schedules in basketball this year then we’ve got a lot of quality losses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                If we have one of the toughest schedules in basketball this year then we’ve got a lot of quality losses.
                I mean. Look at the team sheets

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi...wMode%3DSimple

We are 3-9 vs Q1/Q2
                Memphis is 0-6
                Creighton is 3-8

That's before today's game to. So 3-10. 13 Q1/Q2 games so far

EDIT: All AAC for that same stat
                WSU 3-10
                Memphis 0-6
                Cincy 3-2
                UCF 3-2 (0 Q1 games)
                Temple 5-3
                Houston 9-1
                UCONN 1-8
                USF 0-4
                Tulsa 2-7
                SMU 1-5
                ECU 1-6
                Tulane 0-6

So 13 games for us , next closest is Houston at 10. Only Houston and Temple have won more. Only 4 of our last 11 games are q1/q2
                Last edited by Stickboy46; January 26, 2019, 11:43 PM.

Comment

• proshox
                  proshox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good perspective. I think those teams are the ideally the floor for this program, not the aspiration.

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm just pointing out... We aren't as bad as people are making us out to be. Inconsistent? Sure. But it hasn't been all bad this year.

• Shocktoberfest
                  Shocktoberfest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the perspective Stick. I needed that.

• One thing I've noticed. When the ball does get inside and the big guy is covered, from time to time they find a shooter open for a 3 and successfully get the ball to them. The player receiving the pass promptly dribbles out of shooting range or throws an outlet pass to get the ball to center of the court about 10' past the 3-point line to "set up the offense".

The shooting % from 3 might be better if players would take the open looks they get when the offense actually works. The percentages wouldn't be as badly damages by the desperation heaves at the end of the shot clock.

Maybe our perimeter guys are not good at using screens because they (the two with experience past HS) are small and can't shoot over a screen set by Midtgaard or Echenique.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• WSUwatcher
                  WSUwatcher commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good point, Aargh.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of catch and shoot willingness, with Haynes-Jones being a particular offender in my observation. If he's going to end up launching anyway, as he often seems to do, why not do it immediately while he's open instead of making a jab step fake to give his defender a sporting chance ?

• "WSU is shooting just 28.1 percent on unguarded catch-and-shoot jumpers, the 350th-best mark out of 353 teams in the country this season."

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m well over Markis’ talking about the young guys having to figure it out. He needs to show them or stfu in the paper.
              Working...
              X