No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Cincinnati Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understand about hating coaches except Dana Altman and Dan Muller. Altman was a douche especially to WSU. I really used to like and respect Il State. I will again after Muller leaves.

Comment

• Link shows what happened. Cumberland goes out of his way to walk into Stevenson, talks trash, the Cincy center shoves Stevenson and out of all this ... ES gets the T

Comment

• pinstripers
        pinstripers commented
        Editing a comment
        Prolly starts with something like "you can't guard me, skinny little white boy"

• ShockTalk
        ShockTalk commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow!! F*cking Wow!! Thanks for posting. Adams and Pettigrew have had 2 bad games in a row. I hadn't read the whole thread, so I never said anything about the Tulsa/UConn game as I had watched the replay of that incident several times the night it happened. I believe this may very well be a game that was decided by the refs and incorrectly so.

• 1979Shocker
        1979Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know if I'd call that shoving. I'd call it getting too close to each other. There is more shoving during game play than there was in that short video clip. I couldn't tell what words, if any, were exchanged in that clip, but evidently the referee heard something he didn't like.

• I think it's worth pointing out that our SOS is currently 11th right now. Yes, that's 11th in the entire country. To be just under .500 with a completely new group like this against the 11th toughest schedule in the country is honestly pretty impressive.

Hopefully we can start getting some W's now that we've rounded the toughest part of the schedule.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I've been on the .500 train since the summer for the most part. These kids are performing better than I thought they would. The thing is, we all see plenty of room for improvement. If they can stay positive, they will get better, and sooner than later.

Today's bench debacle aside, Gregg has done an excellent job getting the team to this point.

Comment

• another shocker
          another shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          'sooner rather than later.

• wusphlash
          wusphlash commented
          Editing a comment
          Believing there would be a lot of frustration this year, what with youth and inexperience, I really thought Gregg would have more than one T by now. Considering his competitive nature I think he's done really well.

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          We all knew this stretch of games was going to be really tough. I think we can win both of the next 2 games, but I’d be happy getting just one.

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Furthermore, Cumberland went out of his way to confront Stevenson. A double technical should have been called, IMO.
        Cumberland was getting the Michael Jordan treatment all game -- as he did in this case, which wasn't much of a foul and certainly would not have been called the other way -- so it's no surprise he got away with starting the confrontation here. Once Stevenson talked back and got the T, the game was effectively gone, so Marshall's understandable ire didn't matter. I'm glad he backed his guy.

Weren't we supposed to see an upgrade in officiating once WSU escaped the Valley? Not in this game.

Comment

• flatlander
          flatlander commented
          Editing a comment
          All three of these officiates are not good enough to work valley games. The game was
          called so one sided. I would have gone off, (on them) after just three minutes into the game (look at first three minutes). Two of these officiates just worked Cincinnati game. Maybe, that is way to soon, to do another Cincinnati game (officiate - in back to back games)?

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          I noticed particularly Cumberland, but also a few others on Cincy, were doing "baiting" at times during dead balls.

• Yeah, I should clarify... there ARE hateable coaches ( Boeheim, Muller, Williams DO come to mind).... but not just because they are ‘opposing’... it looks like Gregg and Cronin have a genuine like for each other

Comment

• And one could make a case for zero T's. A good crew would have given stern verbal warnings to all involved, but this was not a good crew. They should go back through the ranks starting with the ole games I used to have on my driveway 8 1/2 foot goal wars with my boys.

Comment

• 1. Thanks Stickboy46 for the link. I had pointed it out from memory twice and there were only 1-2
            who noticed ES getting pushed. I think his reaction to that is what really made him say something the ref
            T'd him for but if the ref had T'd Cincy's center ES or GM either one would not have been T'd. Both are
            passionate guys and that's the kind of guys I want around.

2. Almost equally as bad was the call on JB moments later for a charge when Cincy's defender was not
            even close to being in a good position for a charge. JB's shot was goal tended and there should have
            been an and one. Another three points ! Then there was just the totally lopsided foul calls all game.

3. Was also thinking last night that despite our disappointing record we could easily be 10-7 instead
            without the two games the ref's totally took us out of. The team is playing hard and GM is coaching hard
            with a great deal of passion. I'm okay with both. Really glad we are in the AAC now !

4. Our bench was 7-12 from the field and we now have three serviceable centers maybe four going forward.
            I have been down on the seniors but MM is making me a believer. I just wish SHJ would use his
            quickness more to break down defenses and dish more.

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              1. No doubt.
              2. Not equally bad, egregiously worse. Not because the 1st wasn't wrong, but because the charge call was beyond laughable.
              3. True, but also could be 3-14. We're close to winning our share of 50/50 games. Against a very tough schedule. At Christmas I was resigned to an 0-5 start in conference, and was hoping it wouldn't be 0-7. These guys were a whisper from 3-2. 500 in conference was little more than a dream. Now I wonder if we go back to Cincy with a chance to get to 500 before running the rest of the table. I know I know, highs and lows. Markis is making insane plays to keep us alive too often. But this team is getting better and with a little success, and a lot of health, nobody is going to enjoy playing them in 6 weeks.

• People get all bent out of shape about the foul differential. Now before I start my case, let it be clear these clown refs were particularly brutally bad yesterday. Generally speaking, refs are not commissioned to call fouls even. This component of the game is impacted and guided to the flow of the game and the dynamics of the two teams. Cincy, like most other teams we play, have seasoned, quick and crafty guards who challenge the lane on a consistent basis. We don't. When you do challenge the lane there is a greater chance to be fouled and shoot free throws. Our most seasoned players, MM & SHJ don't have that type of game consistently in their bag of tricks. MM can't dribble and SHJ moves around the perimeter looking for a shot like a caught fish flopping on the river bank. In yesterdays game MM & SHJ took more than 50% of the entire teams shots, so there just isn't any content for drawing fouls given their style of play. The other guards on the team aren't, can't, won't, shouldn't, etc...drive the ball. Let's face it Torres is a bust, Burton can't shoot, isn't willing to shoot, scared to shoot (you pick the correct answer Alex), Dex can't consistently stay on the court to actually see what he is capable of and Erik doesn't seem to have the quickness or savvy at this point to comply with driving the lane. On the year our opponents have attempted 100 more free throws...100!!! And it is even a bigger per game difference in conference, because we are facing guards that have the talent, ability and willingness to challenge the lane. This is how college basketball looks in 2019 and beyond. If you don't challenge the lane, take your place in the bottom half of your conference...or go get players who can intelligently challenge the paint. That my friends is on the COACHES!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1989 View Post
              He was missing wide open, uncontested layups. That’s not terrible?
              How is that different than anybody else on the team?

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

1989 commented
                Editing a comment
                Because not everybody was doing that. And some who were have value in other areas. Mitgaard was just big for no reason.

• Originally posted by 1989 View Post
              I’m disgusted by the officiating from the last two games. I’m also disgusted by both Erik and coach. You can not give them 4 free points because of your mouth in such a close game. That said, I still see the growth. We are a better team now than we were a month ago and all we can hope for in this bridge year is to see signs of progress for the future. Over the last 3 or 4 games I have seen that progress despite the results not going in our favor.
              Yet here you are, not even in the heat of battle, unable to walk away coolly, collectedly and calmly, nearly an hour after the game, and cannot control your urge to criticize a player and a coach. Glass houses best describes it.
              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:

Comment

• another shocker
                another shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                you got it.

what should be said is that the script will be flipped in cincinnati

1989 commented
                Editing a comment
                My post was made cool, calmly, and collectedly and didn’t cost us any free points so what glass house am I living in?

• I would like to see somebody with tech-savvy GIF the sequence where Gregg took his jacket off early in the game and numbnuts ref on the west sideline eyeballed Gregg walking toward the water cooler and started his trek clear across court to confront 3G. While I'd bet YOUR house that Gregg was spewing words critical of the officiating and perhaps even the character (or lack thereof) of the officials, clearly this ref could not have heard precisely what Gregg was saying nor could this particular ref have been addressed specifically by Gregg at that point.

I'm not sure if it was the same incident, but at one point the ref and Gregg were "chatting" just in front of the north end of the bench and the ref kept stepping six-inches at a time toward the clock operator's position and when Gregg got to the north line of the coaches box, the ref looks down at Gregg's feet, My judgement was the ref was baiting Gregg to T him up.

Comment

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure it was the same ref (the one with a little hair?), but after a confrontation with coach Marshall, he walked over to the CBS commentators and did his best ‘Anderson Cooper’ eye roll... totally unprofessional.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3oKIP...35S/source.gif

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, it was Pettigrew. From what I've seen of him so far in a few games, he's a punk of a ref. He was also the one that gave the second T to Haith and Hurley and even Adams looked very surprised. If anyone noticed, Adams also pointed at Pettigrew as he was headed across the court at one time towards Marshall to get back to where he was. On the other hand Mr. Adams, you were too quick (and wrongly done) last night with the T to ES and also too quick with the 1st T against Haith and Hurley.

• My original thought was that Stevenson had said one of the magic words. There was no other way that a T could be called that quickly in that situation. It's been reported (I think I saw a confirming tweet) hat Jeffrey Parsons was standing right beside the confrontation and that Stevenson's exact words were "I'm not afraid of you" followed by the T.

Stevenson says he didn't use profanity. Parsons says Stevenson didn't use profanity. Makes one wonder if one of the Cincy players said the magic word in a way that convinced the ref that Stevenson said it.

Two of the refs in this game were on the crew that ejected Haith and Hurley a couple days ago.

The valley had and still has better refs than the AAC.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                Or one of the Cincy players said, "he called me a ******............"

• 1979Shocker
                1979Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Is it possible that the referee thought Stevenson was talking to him?

• I don't understand the T on ES. That kind of jawing happens all game, every game.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                I would like to see somebody with tech-savvy GIF the sequence where Gregg took his jacket off early in the game and numbnuts ref on the west sideline eyeballed Gregg walking toward the water cooler and started his trek clear across court to confront 3G. While I'd bet YOUR house that Gregg was spewing words critical of the officiating and perhaps even the character (or lack thereof) of the officials, clearly this ref could not have heard precisely what Gregg was saying nor could this particular ref have been addressed specifically by Gregg at that point.

I'm not sure if it was the same incident, but at one point the ref and Gregg were "chatting" just in front of the north end of the bench and the ref kept stepping six-inches at a time toward the clock operator's position and when Gregg got to the north line of the coaches box, the ref looks down at Gregg's feet, My judgement was the ref was baiting Gregg to T him up.
                Maybe this was after the fould on Dennis at 15:10 of the first half. Memory and old age do not synchronize very well.

Comment

Working...
                X