No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs UCF Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One other thing a big win like this helps with, hopefully, is the energy in practice. I know it is a whole lot easier to come in for the practice grind after a victory, I'm glad they celebrated in the locker room, and hopefully now are coming in with smiles and a little feeling of "swagger approaching" for two good hard days of prep for Cincy.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Great pic.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• To those saying AM has a terrible deficiency % and he just isn't serviceable I say: 1) your sample
      size and stats HAD to have been extremely limited to make that kind of statement and second how
      much did that ridiculous % jump last night ? What is it now and what are the factors that go into it?

Comment

• My banker called yesterday afternoon and offered me his wife's ticket so off we went. Far east parking lot looked sparse so I expected a sparse crowd. Nope. Folks must have used the HOV lanes last night. Wasn't the loudest crowd I've ever heard but it was loud and I'm hoarse as hell this morning. Got home at 1:00 after driving through the thickest fog I have seen in years.

UCF runs a play where Taco hands the ball of to a guard and then strolls to the basket just like a pulling guard. The guard stays on his rump all the way down the lane. How that isn't called a moving screen I'll never know.

In the first half it looked to me like our point would pick up his dribble without knowing where he was going next. That mostly went away in the second half. Good to see improvement.

Marshall was a hoot. Good to see him slap hands with AM when he came off of the court. I have high hopes for the young man after seeing him last night.
        One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

• AM got a TON of love from the crowd last night. Some of the loudest points in the game were his three pull-ups. I hope it is a step forward for him, because it’s hard not to like the kid.

Honestly, I’m surprised he didn’t actually play more last night, considering his performance and JE’s lack of. I’m certainly not Marshall, but I agree that it is perplexing when we don’t ride the wave of a player having a hot game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post

Yes AM had a nice game last night. You may have noticed that he only played when TFall was in the game. That is the only time he can play at this point in he career. When the opposition has a big slow center that can't shoot or drive. When the man he is guarding can he can't guard him and he can't protect the rim in a zone. His defensive efficiency rating coming into the game was 18% compared to all NCAA players. That is not serviceable.
            Wait are we talking about sophomore AM, or sophomore Paul Miller?
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              I watched them both and he is no Paul Miller.

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              Poor Bear is closer to Miller than Mitgaard.

• proshox
              proshox commented
              Editing a comment
              Top - you need to watch the film. You either confused or full of poop.

• What a game! Loved the energy of the team and the crowd. I thought the crowd brought it well, especially in the second half. And an FYI for you, security does not appreciate you stomping your feet in the metal floors right over the tunnels.....lol.

There isnt much much I can add to what has already been posted, but here are a couple of observations. I thought that AM hitting those little 10 footers proved to be very important. It forced UCF to extend their interior defense and allow for more driving and passing lanes inside. There were several times that we simply blew by their big men who had come out of the lane. Several players, including SHJ, kept hitting those floaters to keep the preessur on the D.

This is was a team victory tonight. Everyone contributed something to getting the win. I noticed a lot of team chemistry.

MM was a stud!

The defense was high octane. UCF is a good, long team and we needed the intensity to pull this out.

I think our our young team is turning the corner. There is no doubt in my mind that we have not lost our edge. We were just too young to understand, but we are maturing quickly. This can be a very dangerous team.

40 minutes of sustained effort, focus, and energy! Our margins are still small and there will still be times we don’t maintain this, but man am I PUMPED about what I witnessed last night!
            Go Shocks!

Comment

• Have always been told AM has solid passing skills and we witnessed some of that last night. It was magical to see him hit 3-10' shots in a row like it was just another day at the office. Burton really handled the ball well last night and if he keeps shooting the ball in the hoop and penetrating like last night, watch out. The man has some needed skills and I hope he keeps working and improving on his shooting touch, even 3 pointers.Brown was in there scrapping last night as so the last game. Hope to see him more too.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Shocktoberfest
                Shocktoberfest commented
                Editing a comment
                One thing about Burton that is kinda bugging me. Dude really carries the ball a lot when changing directions. I hope whistle happy zebras don't jump on that. Kinda scary. BUT, I love the kids game. He is STRONG to the rim. If he can just hit some perimeter shots consistently, watch out!

• WstateU
                WstateU commented
                Editing a comment
                Don’t underestimate the importance of Tyson Waterman to the development of Burton at the point...

“Tyson is very loyal and hard-working. He's a tremendous relationship builder, which will make him a valuable recruiter, and his in-depth understanding of the point guard position and knowledge of our system will make him an asset for our perimeter players."

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

• pinstripers
                pinstripers commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, JB carries the ball a lot on turns. No idea why it's not whistled.

• Great effort and team play last night. That was Shocker basketball.

Let's put together a string of consistent efforts like last night. I was particularly glad to see the Freshman put together a complete game. For the first time this season I felt like the guys were on the same page and the chemistry was really good for the whole game. I'm encouraged and I want to see more of this.

Comment

• I try to watch the bench as much as I can during the games when at Koch 'cuz it's just so stinking entertaining. From GM to the assistants all the way down the bench. What a great crowd and great energy and great bench last night. That was so much fun! I want to look over at the bench and see who is into the game as much as the fans. I have to say, I was pumped, and relieved to see Mr. Teddy Allen cranking it up on the bench. You just never know what the real vibe is within the team about other players, but they were going nuts for AM. That is great to see.

Comment

• wusphlash
                  wusphlash commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm wondering why Teddy kept going out to take over mop duties. Just having a little fun I'm sure but it made me smile.

• ShockerDropOut
                  ShockerDropOut commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly right about Teddy. He was as focused as the guys on the floor.

• pie n eye
                  pie n eye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve seen Big Mit do a lot of cheering and encouraging his teammates from the bench this season. Awesome to see that in reverse!

• I'd like to hear Joerg opinion of the game
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• BOBB
                  BOBB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Walker I don't consider Joerg a troll. More of a benign sock puppet.

• Walker
                  Walker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol that’s a pretty good description.

• ShockAzs
                  ShockAzs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Lol I must admit, I have laughed at every single post Joerg has made.

Especially the last one, where he posted using initials "SHJ"

• Do I get a sense of this team having turned the corner? Perhaps the Play Angry light bulb has started to flicker on? Hopefully so, but what will probably happen is that this will be a one step forward two steps back phenomenon due to simply being so inexperienced. But as Jack Del Rio once said, keep choppin' wood.

Comment

• I SURE WISH these CBSSports games we REPLAYED somewhere to rewatch!!!!!
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Highlights

Comment

• Johnny Dawkins said MM is an NBA player and one of the best players they've played all year.

Comment

Working...
                      X