Wichita State at Houston Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Just got back from the game. I was proud of our guys effort. Saw some positives that we can build on. We wil lose a lot more game but I can tell you this - nobody will want to play us as an 8 seed come conference tourney time.

Easy to prepare for if entire offense runs through 2 seniors. That has to change at some point.

Comment

• proshox
      proshox commented
      Editing a comment
      They ran a bunch of plays JE. He managed to get blocked, hit back of the backboard and a few other poor attempts. I love that guy, but the combination of injury and competition made him a non-factor as our option one.

He is our option 1 by the way. He has more plays run for him than MM and SHJ. We just suck at executing the plays right now.

• wusphlash
      wusphlash commented
      Editing a comment
      Post entry passes are a definite weakness.

• MM and SHJ aren’t blameless, but I think you guys are missing all the wide open shots JB, ES, DD, and RT are not taking. I remember MM setting up Ricky twice in a row and Ricky never looked at the rim. ES wasn’t getting his feet set to shot when he came off curls. JB took one jumper despite having the ball a ton.

Related, I see a lot of rose colored glasses about Ron and Fred. During their senior season the ball stuck to them for long stretches of games (when up against better competition). There could be a wide open player, including a guy like CF, and they wouldn’t consider passing it. This habit persisted all the way through the championship game vs. UNI. It completely disappeared during the NCAA. So there may be something to seniors having trouble both trusting new teammates and a bunch of young guys having the ball confidence to make plays.

Sometimes the result we all hate isn’t the cause...

Comment

• I thought it was interesting that Houston didn’t press us. They probably could have done more damage if they had. Burton hasn’t proved that he can handle a lot of pressure and is just an average ball handler for a PG. I didn’t really have a problem with the Seniors taking shots last night. Nobody else on the team has shown that they can or will consistently get open or create anything for themselves, let alone knock down the shots. They just need more time and there’s nothing we can do about that.

Comment

• Good energy and effort. Ref's picky fouls on JE kept him on the bench too much and IC pretty
        ineffective. AM had some pretty good minutes and could easily have had 6-8 points had MM, RT
        and others have made decent passes to him. He was getting open and his length was helping on D.
        I want ES to shoot his way out of the slump - he just can't hesitate or think about his shot too much.
        Also needs to attack the paint more. SHJ had some really good minutes early and then returned to
        form the second half. MM has to realized he is getting doubled and find the open man instead of
        hanging on to the ball so long or forcing up something ugly. Just hope we can qualify for the post
        season and get hot at the right time. I don't like losing but am enjoying watching the painful progress.
        When SHJ and MM are out of the picture I think your going to see 2-3 others start to really develop.
        GM is doing a great job getting these guys to be as competitive as they are.

Comment

• We just don't have enough guys. Second half gonna continue to be a problem.

Comment

• I don’t get all the criticism for MM. He does have too many turnovers but he is trying to carry the team. We have got to get some production from our freshman and juco guards. They are turning down shots. MM is our best option. He has been a good player for us despite his injuries. SHJ does take some stupid shots but he can also provide offense that we desperately need. What other player besides MM does that since Jamie has been hurt?

Comment

• asiseeit
              asiseeit commented
              Editing a comment
              He would be a really nice player if he could see the court and make the correct pass
              when he gets doubled. Just look at his lack of assists. He should be getting a lot of them
              since he gets doubled but he just doesn't see the court well or seem to understand that when
              he gets doubled there is a weakness to be expoited somewhere. Just low BB IQ

• Brown had the best game of his career.
            SHJ was better because he played less point guard
            GM benched MM 2 or 3 times for poor shot selection -- about time
            DD gets better every game and is on the way to stardom
            All the freshman that play are improving every game
            AM plays hard, obviously a good guy, but he is so slow it is almost comical at times -- like when he jumped to block a shot and the Houston player had already passed the ball to a player that was shooting a layup on the other side of the basket.

Overall I think this group is a good base for some really good teams in the future.

Comment

• asiseeit
              asiseeit commented
              Editing a comment
              I think MM got benched for bad passing and soft defense. AM would have had 2-3
              more baskets if MM and RT could make a decent entry pass. He was getting open !
              I wish JB had a natural position and could just shoot a pull up 15 footer. He really isn't
              a PG, a SG or a SF. He is a VERY undersized PF struggling to play the back court.
              He is playing because he is a better defensive option than either of our starting guards.

• 12eagle
              12eagle commented
              Editing a comment
              Quit being such an AM hater

• Topshock
              Topshock commented
              Editing a comment
              wusphlash -- Hope you know, you are liking a sarcastic comment.

• Originally posted by Mr. Obvious View Post

Easy to prepare for if entire offense runs through 2 seniors. That has to change at some point.
            It will - eventually. But until then MM and SHJ will have to score points for them to have a chance. Not ideal but until the Frosh continue to develop confidence and acclimate to D1 level ball, options are very limited.
            The Fever is ripping on MM pretty good, but at least he can take and make contested shots. His decision making process is subject to second guessing, but take away his 20 PPG and this team gets smoked the last 4 games. I mean... like 20+ points and embarrassing final score smoked.

It's not hard to see the explosive potential in DD and IPC is going to be a low post force and a load no one wants to deal with. Pop Teddy in there along with ES, JB and after last night RB and you have a whole group of some bad ass dudes.

There is some back court help coming too.

But until then...

However, I think Memphis could still be an interesting weekend, even if the results mean we will not be watching this team getting fit for dancing shoes.

That is all.
            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Watched at Side Pockets, so there was no audio. I was really confused by the goaltending calls and no goaltending calls.
              Last edited by pinstripers; January 13, 2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• In the meantime the Facebook comments lengthen.

Players family’s should not be in social media discussions

Comment

• 12eagle
                12eagle commented
                Editing a comment
                Link?

• AndShock
                AndShock commented
                Editing a comment
                Yikes. At this point I imagine it’ll get around to HCGM and something is going to change.

• Dan hit it squarely on the head when he earlier said, "SHJ and MM are a couple of the only guys that can get shots off. Nobody can feed the post so that rules out those guys, Burton and Torres are scared to shoot, ES and DD haven’t figured it out yet but they will eventually. I was glad to see RB get aggressive and try to make some things happen. We need more of that from some of these other guys."

At times it looks almost like our young players are playing, "Hot Potato," an old game where you got rid of the ball as quickly as it was passed to you.. They seem to be more interested in passing the ball back and forth to each other near mid-court than making any attempt, whatsoever, to take an open shot or drive to the basket. There can be little doubt that our Seniors and Jaime are by far the better shooters on this team.

So it normally ends up going to SHJ or MM, and sometimes to our only other player, Jaime, when he is not sitting out because of foul trouble, who are not reluctant to shoot an open shot. Not withstanding, our Seniors make mistakes as well and take shots early in the shot clock.as well.

And just for how many years (10?) have you bitched about GM not calling time outs. Yeah, I think he should at times, too, but he has been just a wee bit more successful than any of us would have been coaching the Shockers all these years.

Hopefully our youngsters will continue to improve and next year's incoming class will not be so blown out of expectations like this years class was.

Comment

• proshox
                proshox commented
                Editing a comment
                Lots of very successful coaches, including those moreso than HCGM, would have called a timeout. This is one of those things that may have been incorrectly correlated to his success. During his most successful run in the NCAA he used timeouts.
                Last edited by proshox; January 14, 2019, 11:18 AM.

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
              In the meantime the Facebook comments lengthen.

Players family’s should not be in social media discussions
              I'm not on facebook and can't access the group. Without naming names could you tell me and other social media blackout types what kinds of things are being said?

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

I'm not on facebook and can't access the group. Without naming names could you tell me and other social media blackout types what kinds of things are being said?
                Basically Stevenson dad just made comment that there seems to be some “selfness”. Then somebody name Reagan Marshall went on attack against him and told him he was a bad person and didn’t know what he was talking about.

I think there was even somebody who called Stevenson dad a dumbass.

Stevenson was very respectfull and never said anything negative about Marshall, just made a an observation and then some just jumped all over him.

Comment

• Ugh at the Facebook comments. I feel we have a right to criticize some aspects of our play, no doubt, but lately it’s felt like we’re just tearing each other up and forgetting we’re on the same team here.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Basically Stevenson dad just made comment that there seems to be some “selfness”. Then somebody name Reagan Marshall went on attack against him and told him he was a bad person and didn’t know what he was talking about.

I think there was even somebody who called Stevenson dad a dumbass.

Stevenson was very respectfull and never said anything negative about Marshall, just made a an observation and then some just jumped all over him.
                    Sounds like some truth rattled a few snowflakes. Typical.

But I agree that the families should probably stay away from social media.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• shoxlax
                      shoxlax commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think some of those are so clueless on that board they don’t even make the connection of his name.

He sounds like a good dude and a smart basketball guy but it solves nothing for him to be on that nutjob site.
                  Working...
                  X