No announcement yet.

How do you feel about the future now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know that in 3 years WSU will probably have a tournament level team...just wish Echenique could be on that team.

Comment

Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
      I know that in 3 years WSU will probably have a tournament level team...just wish Echenique could be on that team.
      Or.....we'll have a tournament level team THIS YEAR. Understand the process. Pray for health. And believe in this TEAM and COACHES! It's a long season...and these young guns are seeing everything for the first time right now. March is a loooong time away. Die-hards continue to cheer and support! A hot .500 team would not be the first to lock down an Auto-Bid. #ShockerFans
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

i feel optimistic about the future, like, 4 weeks from now.

Comment

My expectations for this season weren't high, nor were they strong. Mainly, that the non-conf would be up and down, but showing improvement by conference time and hopefully finishing mid-pack in the AAC. While we've seen flashes, the overall improvement necessary for that mid-pack conference finish hasn't happened, unfortunately. My expectations are now to see who of the newcomers continue to improve and can be reliable contributors going forward.

Next season will, I think, be the mid-pack finish I was hoping for this year (though with a slightly higher ceiling). Despite their flaws, we will miss the seniors until the returnees figure out who can fill their scoreboard void. Torres will be the stop-gap PG as the freshmen (Etienne, Fernandez) grow (think Armstead and VanVleet, albeit without a Final Four). 2020-2021 should be the year we challenge for an AAC title and return to the NCAAs.

Regarding individual players:

Torres - I think he will acclimate enough to D1 to be a decent pass-first PG by the end of this season. His shooting will improve, but not to the point of being dependable.
          Echenique - This year and next year's x-factor. Eliminate one foul per game and he's the man. No more injuries please!
          Burton - Has some positional versatility at the guard spots. I don't think he'll establish himself as a starter, but could become a valuable sub at the 1-3 positions, especially if he gets an outside shot.
          Stevenson - He has intangibles that can't be taught, and needs a bit more time to adjust to the size and speed of D1. I'm not sure if it will happen this year, or even by the start of next year. But by the end of next season we'll be very glad he's a Shocker.
          Dennis - Probably the only freshman who was close to ready for prime time. We've seen the flashes. Those flashes will become flood lights sooner than later.
          Udeze - He has the skills and temperament to be a solid big man in our league. Another guy who will learn a lot this conference season, provided he can get on the floor with the bum shoulder.
          Chandler - The skills are clearly there. Needs to develop a motor and temperament to man the post, get in better shape, and work on his focus and determination.
          Miitgaard - He's a Valley-level backup center, at best. If he wants to be a contributor, he really should find a new home and take full advantage of a transfer year.
          Brown - I don't see where he fits in on this team, in this league. Already sat out a year, which makes a transfer less likely, but would fit in best on a team that can deal with an undersized PF.
          Allen - Just going to have to wait and see how he fits in next year. We will need his scoring, for sure.

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Very well said Royal.
            RB can go JUCO next year, then back to D-I as an option. Just not sure where he fits in.
            JB is farther along, IMO, than ES is at this time (not that that is saying a whole lot). I love ES's potential, but he's on a down trend his last 5 games and needs to get a shot of confidence and we really need him. I questioned whether JB could play any point this year, but he's pick it up fairly well. He's also 10-18 FG over the last 4 games and is .436 FG% for the season, highest non-post player on the team (again, not that that is saying a lot).

shocktalk, IMHO it might be helpful to ES if 3G would run several set plays for ES per game. Get him an open three, an open 12-footer and the under the basket BLOB play again. When ES decides to shoot, it is more that he just decides, rather than in the flow. If he makes one, then he flips up 2-3 more. Maybe providing a structur for his shooting would loosen him up a bit.
          JB just doesn't shoot anything but drives to the basket, and there are not enough of those available. He needs to work on the 10-12 foot off-the-glass shot as a go-to shot for himself. Similar to RT using the 15-foot pull-up from just off the FT line.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Your ES comment would make for a great question for HCGM. On the other hand, I seldom see any kind of play that is geared to end up in a certain player's hand for a quality shot. There just isn't any flow most of the time. I seldom see a single quick pass, a double quick pass is rare, and not sure I've seen a quick 3 pass play this year.
            I think the short game would be very valuable for this team. Better hope we figure out how to open up more drives to the basket because that is TA's bread and butter. Until we have more players that are a threat from 3, that inside drive to the hole is going to be packed in.

I see people have less hope for 2019-2020 than we had before the season began. All of our freshman should be better, smarter and more consistent (think about Dennis, Burton, Brown, Stevenson, Udeze, and Chandler all being better next year). Yeah we lose like our entire offense, but that might be better for us. McDuffie x Haynes-Jones really hold our freshman back. Add fresh Teddy Allen into the mix, a monster year from Echenique (if healthy) and a 4 * guard, we should be Top 4 in the American next year. 6-10 seed next year, Sharpie.

Comment

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
            I see people have less hope for 2019-2020 than we had before the season began. All of our freshman should be better, smarter and more consistent (think about Dennis, Burton, Brown, Stevenson, Udeze, and Chandler all being better next year). Yeah we lose like our entire offense, but that might be better for us. McDuffie x Haynes-Jones really hold our freshman back. Add fresh Teddy Allen into the mix, a monster year from Echenique (if healthy) and a 4 * guard, we should be Top 4 in the American next year. 6-10 seed next year, Sharpie.
            I agree with you statement by and large. However, if you think that McDuffie and Haynes-Jones are holding our team back, you are delusional. Experience wins, unless you have only Top 100, ultra talented types of players. Without Duff and HJ, this team wouldn't even be competitive. Our freshman aren't ready to compete at the high level of the American Conference. Thise freshmen are learning every game, but they lack a confidence they will have next year. Teddy Allen does know what it takes to play at this level and will help us next year and our freshmen will be that much more experienced and ready to play provided they don't get discouraged and leave.

Comment

I agree with FadedCrown on his comment regarding McDuffie and SHJ, I believe they are sending the wrong messages to our young crew. You cannot win games without getting the TEAM involved.

Comment

Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
                I agree with FadedCrown on his comment regarding McDuffie and SHJ, I believe they are sending the wrong messages to our young crew. You cannot win games without getting the TEAM involved.
                This is true, we win games by sharing the basketball, but when McDuffie gets the ball, the offense basically stops with him. Samajae always gets ball as the PG, it seems the only time he passes is either to McDuffie or he passes to another player on the perimeter when he picks up his dribble, then he gets it right back.

Comment

"Almost a quarter of WSU’s possessions are ending without a shot attempt."

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

"Almost a quarter of WSU’s possessions are ending without a shot attempt."

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy
                    This is also a problem, it seems when our freshman do get the ball it ends with a turnover far too often.

Comment

Monday night, coach Marshall mentioned the 'lost art' of passing. Our players need to watch this short video; the beauty of finding the open man...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• ShockTalk
                        ShockTalk commented
                        Editing a comment
                        BEAUTIFUL!!! Now that is "team" sport. Watch how seldom a player puts the ball on the floor, except with the intent of drawing attention. Knowing that you can pass the ball faster than a defender can run and doing it 2, 3, 4 times or more without putting the ball on the floor to get that wide open shot. Moving to positions to draw defenders out and away from each other as the passing is in motion. I coached different youth sports and basketball was the most difficult for me due to lack of skills, but my favorite drill was, on each possession, once the first player picks up his dribble, no one can dribble after that. We worked on movement, screening, quick passes, and doing multiple passes taking only open shots. Generally, unless you're making multiple, quick passes, if you're passing to someone who is already standing there, it's too late for that player to do anything but pass it on.

Experience DOES help win, especially big games. But often that is through leadership, and I'm not seeing this on the floor from the two seniors. They are playing with the other 3, not necessarily LEADING the other three. Not all can lead, and some leadership can be via example, but I'm not convinced they are providing the leadership the younger players need.

Comment

Random Thought - What game do you think our next win will be? 3 game losing streak + may be underdogs in our next 5 games. Hopefully, UCF shows up sleepy with the 9 pm start.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        Monday night, coach Marshall mentioned the 'lost art' of passing. Our players need to watch this short video; the beauty of finding the open man...

I feel like that's asking a lot. I could even go for a little more of this:

If you're going to pass it right to the other team, at least make it difficult.

Comment

Working...
                        X