Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the future looks bright, indeed

Comment

You know what? I remember very early in the season when no one knew how good JE was until he
      got some opportunities. Same with MU and IC. AM really hasn't had much of an opportunity and I
      still wonder if there is a very capable center waiting for a chance. Also, we have been in most games
      and been pretty darned competitive all things considered. I don't think the sky is falling next year and maybe
      not even this year. Saturday and the next four after that will be a difficult test. I'll be looking to see who
      is still giving his full effort in games we could be down a lot in and an extended losing streak. I'll be
      looking for the guys who start improving. Those are the guys I want on board in the future. With all the
      bad breaks the team has had the last year I think GM has done a very admirable job. As always I'll be
      watching each and every minute drink in hand. Go shocks

Comment

Any perimeter players planning on playing here next year better be in the gym all summer making about 1,000 3's a day. If opponents don't have to spread the floor guarding 3-shooters, but can collapse away from the 3-point line, there won't be any space for Teddy to get the buckets he got at WVU.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope there’s Also an abundance of dribbling practice. Two on one dribbling drills.

"The future will be better tomorrow."

- Dan Quayle
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Next year will still be tough (but better). 2020-2021 will be a good one where we will be in the top 3 of the conference and return to the tournament. Of course, this all depends on who stays around.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
            You know what? I remember very early in the season when no one knew how good JE was until he
            got some opportunities. Same with MU and IC. AM really hasn't had much of an opportunity and I
            still wonder if there is a very capable center waiting for a chance. Also, we have been in most games
            and been pretty darned competitive all things considered. I don't think the sky is falling next year and maybe
            not even this year. Saturday and the next four after that will be a difficult test. I'll be looking to see who
            is still giving his full effort in games we could be down a lot in and an extended losing streak. I'll be
            looking for the guys who start improving. Those are the guys I want on board in the future. With all the
            bad breaks the team has had the last year I think GM has done a very admirable job. As always I'll be
            watching each and every minute drink in hand. Go shocks
            I knew JE was good. I also knew Dex was good. I knew Chance had attitude problems and I KNOW Erik Stevenson is good. Those are four things that I know. They may be the only things I know. Who knows.

I think I know that Rod Brown has the IQ of a turtle. I definitely know he could whip my ass.

I know that Chance Moore could have helped us on the perimeter if his mind was right.

I know that Teddy Buckets is not liking what he's seeing right now.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Shock Top
              Shock Top commented
              Editing a comment
              Based on pure looks, you would think RB was the best player on this roster. Dude is cut like a diamond. Wish that translated into ability on the court.

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              James Bunch anyone?

I think AM is a lost cause. There is a reason coach is not playing him, which we do not know. Or do we? What has he shown in his limited minutes that makes 3G play him?

Comment

• N Crestway
              N Crestway commented
              Editing a comment
              The only player I'm aware of who has been screamed at by Marshall on two occasions on the sidelines...once during his freshman year when he accidentally ran into Marshal's tender shoulder, the other time during the La Tech loss. Given the fairly long leash that other players have when they screw up, I would say that this means that in some fashion the kid rubs Marshall the wrong way. I'm guessing that Marshall has trouble getting through to him.

• ShockingButTrue
              ShockingButTrue commented
              Editing a comment
              He's shown me nothing that demonstrates he deserves more minutes. WSU's post offense sputters a little when he's in the game.

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              N Crestway said "The ONLY player"???!!!!! You don't attend many games in person or go to practice, do you? AM is hardly in a class of one that Gregg has chewed out, publicly or privately.

Originally posted by Mary Johnson
            When his assistant coaches left the nest to start coaching teams of their own, Coach Wooten said the following:

1. If you recruit 2.5 star or lower players, this is how you'll spend your time:
            a. Too much time teaching and coaching
            b. Too many substitutions as you try to figure out who can play (Will not learn to play cohesively)
            c. Less time for recruiting
            d. Less wins

2. If you recruit 3 to 5 star players, this is how you'll spend your time:
            a. Less time teaching and coaching
            b. Fewer substitutions - pick the best 5 players and let them learn to play together cohesively
            c. More time for recruiting
            d. More wins

Note: If you're playing against good competition and you're not successful doing #2, and you revert to #1, you're probably going to get yourself in trouble, and you may find yourself looking for a different profession.
            I like it and I don't care if you just made it up and pulled it straight from your arse. It's sound logical. It has a chance at being a winning strategy. Now... if the coach enjoys teaching instead of recruiting or is a better teacher than recruiter maybe the inverse is true. Marshall is a better recruiter than teacher. That doesn't mean he's a poor teacher. He's just average. He is an exceptional motivator although he uses a very blunt instrument when doing so.

Marshall's strengths are his work ethic, confidence, and above-average intelligence. He is a natural leader who also enjoys a charismatic flair.

Marshall's weaknesses are that his inherent resilience can turn into stubbornness, he can get trapped into micromanagement, and he doesn't get along well with others.

T

...:cool:

Comment

The future is bright still. Would you write off a freshman who has this line through 14 games: 35.7% FG%, 30.8% 3PT%, 60% FT%, 3.1 Pts, 1.9 Reb, 1.8 Ast, 1.1 Stl, 1.9 TO in 14.5 minutes(yeah that's an assist:to rate below 1)? Oh and in his most recent game just turned the ball over 4 times against freaking Drake.

That man finished 3rd in 6MoY in the NBA last year.

Comment

• BostonWu
                BostonWu commented
                Editing a comment
                GM sort of alluded to this on yesterday's coach's show

• ShockCrazy
                ShockCrazy commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup. I wanted to see the actual numbers. They are really bad, especially given he had 2 senior guards to lean on and learn from in Demetric and Malcolm. Plus sophomore Tekele.

2019-2020 will be CIT, 2020-2021 will be NIT and beyond we'll be back to another 6 year run of NCAA tournament appearances.

Comment

When his assistant coaches left the nest to start coaching teams of their own, Coach Wooten said the following:

1. If you recruit 2.5 star or lower players, this is how you'll spend your time:
                b. Too many substitutions as you try to figure out who can play (Will not learn to play cohesively)
                d. Less wins

b. Fewer substitutions - pick the best 5 players and let them learn to play together cohesively
                d. More wins

Note: If you're playing against good competition and you're not successful doing #2, and you revert to #1, you're probably going to get yourself in trouble, and you may find yourself looking for a different profession.
                GTFO of here loser.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I feel good about the future but the next few weeks are really going to test the fans. I'm afraid we are going to go several games below .500 here soon. We are not used to that around here. The first half of the conf. schedule looks brutal.

To me this season is just about getting guys high level D1 experience. The first few games next year will be about continuing to build and getting Teddy acclimated. I think around Xmas next year this will be a totally different team.

I'm just going to trust HCGM

Comment

d. Less wins

d. More wins

Who said that?

Comment

I feel as good about the future as ever.

No denying it, this year has been rough in terms of W-L. The turnovers and poor decision making in particular are frustrating to watch. However, I had zero expectations coming in to this year as far as record, standings, ranks, or post season. How could I even venture a guess for a team comprised of nine new players plus McDuffie, Samaje, Big Mit, and Brown? We spent the last 7-8 years reloading year after year but most of us saw this moment coming years in advance with the large senior class moving through the ranks. Add in the jump to the American and eventually we would need a reset of sorts. The reset would have been smoother if we had Shamet, Reaves, and Lomax. Alas, we do not, and it’s been rough.

Moving forward I like the odds that we make significant improvement next year.

-Despite what some of our brain trust of apparently retired hall of fame NBA and D1 coaches say, Gregg Marshall is a great coach. We still have him. Although from what I’ve heard, Chris Jans is the greatest coach of all time, ahead of Popovich, Wooden, Kryzchekski, and Phil Jackson.
                      -When was the last time we had two freshmen big men who showed as much promise as Poor Bear and Udeze?
                      -Stevenson, Dennis, and Burton have all shown flashes of their talent. Consistency is severely lacking but that should come with experience.
                      -Echinique has arguably been our second best player. Health is never a given but he should at least be over the planter fascitis by the beginning of next year.
                      -Teddy Allen should be eligible next year.
                      -Reinforcements are on the way with three seemingly talented freshmen (maybe more). Never a given they’ll live up to the hype but we should be able to ease them in to action moreso than this years new guys.
                      Last edited by pie n eye; January 8, 2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Good analysis Pie!

Comment

Working...
                        X