Wichita State vs Southern Miss Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RH: Lots to Learn After Close Win Downtown

"We look good, then the next thing you know it's like we lose our mind," Wichita State senior Markis McDuffie said. "We're 10 games in. There's no reason why we should still be struggling with this."

"I was very, very, very disappointed in the way we played down the stretch," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall said. "After we get to the 16-point lead, it was just some bad basketball."

Marshall called some of the 15 turnovers "gross."

Quotables: Southern Miss Postgame

Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 16, 2018, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post
      Some people have been saying that this year is a rebuilding year so don't worry... next year will be better. But next year will also be a rebuilding year due to the youth factor. The positive for this year will be a core of decent freshmen to build around going forward... Burton, Stevenson, Udeze, Dennis, and Brown. Too many question marks regarding Chandler, Moore, and Midtgaard at this point. I think it's going to be a longer climb back than most people here want to acknowledge.
      Just STFU already.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        RH: Lots to Learn After Close Win Downtown

"We look good, then the next thing you know it's like we lose our mind," Wichita State senior Markis McDuffie said. "We're 10 games in. There's no reason why we should still be struggling with this."

"I was very, very, very disappointed in the way we played down the stretch," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall said. "After we get to the 16-point lead, it was just some bad basketball."

MM,how about giving the ball to a guard on the fast break instead of going one on two or one on three and not drawing iron or a foul. Three times in second half. Pass the ball, you just might get it back in good position
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          We need some serious fast break lessons. I’ll take an easy assisted layup any day over a 3 on 1 trainwreck with hope hope of getting free throws that we can’t make.

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        I repeat that the low attendance can entirely be blamed on the price structure. You CANNOT charge the same prices for Southern Miss that you did the past two years against OSU and OU. That’s just arrogant to take your fan base for granted like that. The entire upper level should have been $10. If that happens and a similar turnout appears, then you can call out the bandwagoners.
        Agreed. Complete failure on price structuring 101.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I mentioned this earlier in the season, but have to mention it again....I doubt they keep records on this...but, we have to be leading the country in air balls.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            RH: Lots to Learn After Close Win Downtown

I hope MM is talking about himself with that quote. He has turned into a selfish player either by choice or by coaching. I sure hope it isn't by coaching because it's a terrible strategy. This team just doesn't pass it anymore. Marshall has stressed that it has to be the seniors to score or they won't win games. Well they're scoring, but they're needing a BUTTLOAD of shots to do so.

Once again, as has been a trend all year, the FG numbers:

Seniors: 9-30 FG 30%
            Rest of team: 14-30 47%

The seniors get half the shots, but shoot 1/3 worse to "get theirs". McDuffie is just so bad at forcing. He turns simple shots into impossible ones. He fades away like a feather. Just terrible, terrible shot selection. He used to be a really good assist guy. Not anymore. SHJ is still typical. If Marshall's strategy is to lay it all on these guys and not run an offense, then that's on him and we're gonna lose way more than we potentially could win. It's just ugly ass basketball to watch. I still think the freshmen should be sucking up more minutes. We need to learn how to run an offense. And quick.

Also, we need to learn not to revert back to playground ball with a big lead. This team has zero killer instinct at all. Cold is right there. We have lost our edge in putting teams away. The freshmen are still learning, I get it. But the seniors just doing what they want because they're seniors is a load of CRAP. They think they're Ron or Fred. They wouldn't be able to sniff either of those two's jockstraps.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Also, SHJ's last second foul on a 3 pointer was the DUMBEST thing I've seen from a Shocker in a long time.

But I guess that's being too hard on the kid, amirite?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• TheShocktocles
                TheShocktocles commented
                Editing a comment
                You are not being too hard. You are right on. We got a 3 point lead and the last thing you want to do is foul the 3 point shooter. High school kids know that. Yet shocks have done this at least 6 times this year. SHJ DUMB DUMB DUMB
                Last edited by TheShocktocles; December 16, 2018, 12:35 AM.

• 1979Shocker
                1979Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                Of course, if SHJ hadn't fouled him and he made the 3, people would have something else to complain about. Then again, if he makes the 3 and gets fouled...

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

MM,how about giving the ball to a guard on the fast break instead of going one on two or one on three and not drawing iron or a foul. Three times in second half. Pass the ball, you just might get it back in good position
              Amen. Been saying that for four years. Give up the effing ball and pass to someone that knows what to do on a fast break. Yeah and if he passes it he might get it back and hope he finishes. DUMB DUMB DUMB play by MM

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Amen. Been saying that for four years. Give up the effing ball and pass to someone that knows what to do on a fast break. Yeah and if he passes it he might get it back and hope he finishes. DUMB DUMB DUMB play by MM
                The play keeps reoccurring over and over and over again. Either it's not being reiterated by the coaching staff or MM has regressed to the point where he can no longer pass the basketball.

It's not just MM either but he definitely leads the pack.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Also, do we now have a sponsor for dunks?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post
                    I mentioned this earlier in the season, but have to mention it again....I doubt they keep records on this...but, we have to be leading the country in air balls.
                    Right MM shoots air balls 6 ft from the basket. The only shocker player I can think of that was tall and got his shot continously blocked by shorter players was Garret Stuts.

Comment

• I simply do not understand the lack of basketball IQ of this team. Even if we have not prepared for the zone for this game the remedy is always the same. If MM is in the game go to effing free throw line to take the pass with option to shoot or pass. Option 1. If MM is not in the game R Brown or JB can take the pass at the free throw line. A good point guard or team should know this. It's not like we haven't played against a zone this year. WTF

Comment

• proshox
                        proshox commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Exactly. I was making that suggestion towards the bench. It is amazing how many stops the coaches had to think about this and it never happened.

• proshox
                        proshox commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Anybody else remember McDuffie destroying the SMU zone last year from the free throw line. That would have been nice to try....

• Where was Chandler today? Hurt?
                      Last edited by shock-it-to-me; December 16, 2018, 01:41 AM.

Comment

• Well Fever about covered it on this page.

One other thing. When is the last time we had a player foul out? GM thinks he is so smart with his offense/defense substitutions but seems to me he is outsmarting himself. GM takes out JE with 3 or 4 to go and then can't get him back in the game for several possessions.. At least in the last 3 or 4 minutes just leave a productive player in the game. If he fouls out he fouls out.

Comment

• proshox
                          proshox commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Coaches have hard set “rules” that you are either for or against.

The lists include: fouling intentionally when up three, early use of timeouts, sitting players with two fouls in the first half, sitting players with three or four fouls in the second half, fouling when down one possession late in the game vs. playing it out.

I am natural devils advocate and HCGM has been around a while so I tend to disagree with a lot his rules. Maybe if another coach was here I would align with HCGM out of a personality quirk.

• This not being able to handle a zone is not a new thing and seems to be a multi-year curse.

Comment

Working...
                        X