No announcement yet.

We've lost our edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The AAC will toughen this team up. Time to step up the learning curb.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
    The AAC will toughen this team up. Time to step up the learning curb.
    Ooohhh. Marshall's learning curb where you either get kicked to it or stomped on it. Nice.

T

...:cool:

Comment

To me the goal is to face the tough competition and learn from it and hopefully learn enough to become dangerous by the conference tournament. It’s hard to bank on very many wins in January when you look at the schedule

Comment

• Kung Wu
        Kung Wu commented
        Editing a comment
        Truth.

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
      To me the goal is to face the tough competition and learn from it and hopefully learn enough to become dangerous by the conference tournament. It’s hard to bank on very many wins in January when you look at the schedule
      To me, the place you get better is in practice. Competition, is the test of the learning that took place in practice.

Comment

• N Crestway
        N Crestway commented
        Editing a comment
        Sort of like the ancient Roman belief that army training needed to be more strenuous than battle. The better present day athletic programs probably also work like that.
        Last edited by N Crestway; December 20, 2018, 06:10 PM.

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
      To me, the place you get better is in practice. Competition, is the test of the learning that took place in practice.
      Obligatory

"Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Our "edge" that we lost was four future NBA players, one of whom is currently the best sixth man in the NBA, and one of whom just scored 17 points the other night.

Our "edge" that we lost was two dead-eye shooters who shot a combined 42.1% from 3 on nearly 500 attempts in their last two seasons.

Our "edge" that we lost was FOUR seniors who are all playing professionally abroad and each performing exceptionally.

Our "edge" that we lost was an assistant coach who is widely considered one of the best tacticians in the college game.

Our "edge" that we lost was a conference that laid down and played dead for us in the last four seasons we were a member.

Our "edge" that we lost wasn't some ethereal "Play Angry Mentality" discussed by fans as if it's some Jedi mind trick that no one can seem to articulate how to attain or keep and is used to insult less-talented players; it was predominantly talent and coaching.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Our "edge" that we lost was four future NBA players, one of whom is currently the best sixth man in the NBA, and one of whom just scored 17 points the other night.

Our "edge" that we lost was two dead-eye shooters who shot a combined 42.1% from 3 on nearly 500 attempts in their last two seasons.

Our "edge" that we lost was FOUR seniors who are all playing professionally abroad and each performing exceptionally.

Our "edge" that we lost was an assistant coach who is widely considered one of the best tacticians in the college game.

Our "edge" that we lost was a conference that laid down and played dead for us in the last four seasons we were a member.

Our "edge" that we lost wasn't some ethereal "Play Angry Mentality" discussed by fans as if it's some Jedi mind trick that no one can seem to articulate how to attain or keep and is used to insult less-talented players; it was predominantly talent and coaching.
          Incorrect.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Incorrect.

T

How so?
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

How so?
              Gregg Marshall has been known for "Play Angry" basketball most of his career. It was only finally given a name by Antoine Carr. There are literally volumes of historical data and outside observations that define and/or describe the frenetic pace and fearlessness of a Gregg Marshall team.

Gregg's gift is getting (or creating) hardened players who will run through walls for him. Gregg has other gifts but that's what he's primarily known for... well, that and never taking timeouts lol.

Talent is an afterthought in Marshall's recruiting. It's all about getting good athletes from disciplined backgrounds. The discipline being of utmost importance as the player will be pressured severely once on campus and asked to do things that are painful. Gregg wants soldiers, not "royalty". In fact I believe Gregg's philosophy has a talent ceiling. Legit NBA products out of high school are not interested in wearing their body down before they get paid. Play Angry basketball is very hard on the body. But the recruits coming to WSU realize from the onset that if they are going to make it to the NBA, they're gonna have to get there the hard way. Everything about Play Angry involves hard work and extra effort. It helps greatly if a player comes to WSU with a chip on their shoulder.

Last year we turned soft. Nobody knows quite how it happened but it was surely a mixture of coaching and leadership on the floor. Some of our players were injured and some just too pretty. We had sputtering amounts of Play Angry remaining (and much more offensive potency than normal) to carry us to a bunch of wins but we were paper tigers. Marshall's teams have always been known as post-season killers; they always peak at the end of the season. His Winthrop teams put a scare in a power program every single NCAA year and once even brought one down. Last year's performance against Marshall is probably the best indication of how far we'd fallen. It had nothing to do with talent.

Hard work (T)rumps talent each and every time. Gregg Marshall's teams were the hardest working in the NCAA. Just ask Kentucky in 2014 what it was like playing a team full of blue-collar players operating at full Play Angry. Ask the ChicKUns.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                Gregg Marshall's teams were the hardest working in the NCAA. Just ask Kentucky in 2014 what it was like playing a team full of blue-collar players operating at full Play Angry. Ask the ChicKUns.
                :
                Oh, how fun would it have been to watch the 2013-2015 teams have a major-conference schedule? Would the 2014 team have gone undefeated? Most likely not, but those guys knew how to bring it in big games. I have long said that had 78-65 taken place in Koch Arena, it wouldn't have been 78-65 but instead much worse for the Beakers. They would have gone into the fetal position as the roof approached implosion status.
                78-65

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hell, we were a couple bad calls away from laying a 20 spot on them up in Bugaha. In Koch Arena it's Evansville time. They would have folded like a bunch of lawn chairs. I can't even imagine the environment for that game in the Roundhouse. One thing is for sure, Mr. Lothario's toupee mystery would have been solved. Nothing bolted down to the floor would have stayed put on that evening. His front-left part would have ended up back-right as he exited the tunnel.

And just think, one of the stars of the game was a Wichita kid who couldn't have even made it as a walk-on up at ChicKUn Central. That's Play Angry son; that's Gregg Marshall at his absolute best. He needs to dance with the one that brought him. No need to get fancy for the AAC. Let's give 'em a dose of what made us famous.

T

**Moved trollworthy comment in here - don't wanna muck up Landry's NBA thread**

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                This weeks rookie list on nba.com lists Landry as the #5 rookie. He shot 67 percent from 3 last week.
                Landry is a great NBA player but perhaps not the best Play Angry player. It's becoming more likely he was the primary reason we had no perimeter defense last year which is scary considering his height/length. We had to keep him on the floor because he was our point and a very effective scorer.

He is quickly becoming world famous in the NBA for being a complete sieve as a defender. That's saying something and completely mind-blowing coming from the Marshall program.

I love Landry but he wasn't a good fit for the Shockers (<---this comment won't be controversial at all).

(and neither would be Austin Reaves had he stayed - now I'm just trollin')

I'm going to speak slowly for some of you noobies on here... GREGG MARSHALL NEEDS A TEKELE COTTON for his teams to be great. I'm no basketball wizard but if I had access to all analytics and knowledge I might find that Tekele was the most important player on our team with regard to wins/losses during the Baker/VanVleet era. I'd be interested to hear Gregg's take on that comment.

How many times did we watch him shut down the opposition's star player? Enumerable. Now having the opposition's star lay 30 on us is just a given.

T

Comment

• N Crestway
                  N Crestway commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty obvious WSU got away from the tough physical- mental concept after the great run of a few years ago. Maybe Marshall thought he could move on to a higher caliber offense with players like Shamet, Frankamp, Reaves, and Moore. Then a big dose of reality last season.

• ShockerFever
                  ShockerFever commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kinda like how KU gets a big dose of reality EVERY March.

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Pretty obvious WSU got away from the tough physical- mental concept after the great run of a few years ago. Maybe Marshall thought he could move on to a higher caliber offense with players like Shamet, Frankamp, Reaves, and Moore. Then a big dose of reality last season."

Correct. It's not shameful to say that one's brand of basketball requires stout defense to win. We have plenty of top tier philosophical peers: Virginia, Cincinnati, Syracuse, Louisville etc.

Do you know that I would have been very nervous had we been matched up with your ChicKUns last year in the tournament? It's been a long time since I could honestly say that. Very sad. Contrast that with 2015 when I drove up to Bugaha expecting the win.

Don't worry we'll be back. And so will our inherent advantage over your team. Hardened noble warriors will always be favored over spoon-fed amoral prima donnas.

T

Whatever happened to "This will be my last comments on this thread."? (Post #58.1) LMAO!

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alcohol, declining memory, weak moral fortitude, or all of the above.

T

Landry had to play PG because we didn’t have one, if he could’ve been a shooting guard, it wouldn’t have been such a glaring issue. We haven’t had a PG since Fred graduated. Torres may be one and the new guys coming in may be one, but the jury’s still out.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's not going to mask any defensive deficiencies, in fact, the off-guard position should be even stronger defensively. Landry in the PG position was actually the best place to hide him.

T

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  True, but you couple him with Reaves or Frankamp and our perimeter defense was really weak. You can sometimes sacrifice one defender to have a good shooter, but not two.

I agree with Fev when is the last time KU did better in March than the Shox. Must be hard to never win anything with all that money!

Comment

• choida
                  choida commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Actually they did better last March... Just saying..fock em doe

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a winning screen name.

T

Working...
              X