Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401083542

5 assists..............15 turnovers........
    The turnovers are bad but the 5 assists is what sticks out. By far the worst sharing team in Marshall history. There is no offense run at all. There is no attempt to feed the inside. It's just a bunch of dribbling on the perimeter with an eventual hurried shot. Or it's a brick fired up with 25 seconds left on the shot clock. That is also an issue. Our percentages could be so bad because we are taking the absolute worst shots possible. Lots of guys force a lot and are not given the ball when needed to. We have no facilitator and penetration and pass out guy. Just a JUCO senior whose only goal is to score. McDuffie used to be a great assist guy too but it looks like he's given up on that concept for the year too.

My main question though is, this is what Marshall and the coaches are teaching them. Because it's a reoccurring pattern. Bad shot after bad shot is fired up by SHJ and he doesn't get pulled for the bench. Why? Because that's what Gregg wants him to do or is it just a lost cause and he has no one else to sub in for him? ANYBODY would be better than SHJ is on the floor.

Our offense is just an abomination. The assist numbers this year are horrendous. Do we not have talented assist-makers? Or are we really trying to play without an offense?

Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• 1979Shocker
      1979Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      There's always going to be low assist totals when the player receiving the pass can't make the shot.

• Didn’t say Memphis wasn’t without issues, haven’t seen them play this year. But I do know what our problems are and they start at the point guard. Not saying Lomax would solve our issues, but he was a highly sought after point guard who is only a freshman, not a senior

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      We have freshman point guards on this team that are showing the exact same skills as Lomax. Lomax wouldn't have solved any of our problems. We don't lose Lomax, we don't get Teddy. We will end up on the positive end of that trade even if it's not this year.

• Having Lomax wouldn’t have made a difference this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

A non con game makes you miss the MVC?
      He's a KU troll that hasn't been banned for some reason.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
        Didn’t say Memphis wasn’t without issues, haven’t seen them play this year. But I do know what our problems are and they start at the point guard. Not saying Lomax would solve our issues, but he was a highly sought after point guard who is only a freshman, not a senior
        Just a reminder: SHJ is NOT a PG. Not at Hutch and not here. When he's playing it, it's out of necessity.

Comment

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure anybody needs to be reminded of that

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Just a reminder: SHJ is NOT a PG. Not at Hutch and not here. When he's playing it, it's out of necessity.
        I just don't buy it anymore. If it's not his natural position, then put in ES in there. He's not a 1 either but he plays way smarter, isn't hunting his shot, and does more winning plays than losing plays with the ball in his hand.

I'm tired of the "SHJ has to play" excuse. Complete liability... on BOTH ends of the floor.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          Never said I liked it. He's does need to play smarter or let the freshmen have his minutes to grow.

• That had to be the worst Shocker game I've watched since the 19freakin90's. Man ole man. This team can't be that bad can they???
        48 points? 24% shooting??? Good Gawd Almighty.

I suppose none of the new guys have ever played in an NBA size arena so perhaps that's why the shooting was just ridiculously bad. Maybe the early start had something to do with it. Maybe our old boy Austin shared with his teammates all our offensive sets. Or heck...maybe we just bad. 48 points?????
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• It's really hard to get assists when no one can make shots and the rest of the time they fumble the pass for a turnover.

Torres needs to find his shot. That's the biggest key to getting SHJ off the floor. The rest of Torres game is rapidly improving

Comment

• Is it worse getting outscored by 30, or getting outrebounded by 20?

Comment

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              By FAR, the latter.

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Get outrebounded by 20 and you probably lose by 30.

Yes, I know it's over-rated KSt, but they managed a 7 assists to 16 TOs today.

• 1979Shocker
              1979Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Getting outrebounded by 20 is a direct result of missing 3 out every 4 shots.

• We looked worst on offense than UCoNN did when they played in Koch. UCONN’s level was just so painful to watch and I was cheering against them. Today was hard to imagine bad.

From the stories i heard, Austin has every right to enjoy that one. It didn’t stop me from feeling like a scorned ex-girflfriend!

Comment

• N Crestway
              N Crestway commented
              Editing a comment
              So you're saying that there was something personal that led to his leaving WSU....

• For 3 seasons there was a realistic goal to compete for a National Championship. That's not an easy thing to do, anywhere, to say nothing of 2 years in the Valley. We sold out a shade with basically 2 seasons of the same roster. We came up short, but damn it, I'm glad we tried.

Now we have to reset. We had to fill the roster, and some won't make it and we'll add more next year. 2019-20 we'll be back. Nobody did anything terribly wrong, and things aren't being done differently, it's just a reset.....that's all.

If you want to jump of the boat, don't expect a hand up from this guy when things start going well again.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
              For 3 seasons there was a realistic goal to compete for a National Championship. That's not an easy thing to do, anywhere, to say nothing of 2 years in the Valley. We sold out a shade with basically 2 seasons of the same roster. We came up short, but damn it, I'm glad we tried.

Now we have to reset. We had to fill the roster, and some won't make it and we'll add more next year. 2019-20 we'll be back. Nobody did anything terribly wrong, and things aren't being done differently, it's just a reset.....that's all.

If you want to jump of the boat, don't expect a hand up from this guy when things start going well again.
              NOBODY has said they are "jumping off the boat"...or implied anything of the sort. No hand necessary.

Comment

• WuDrWu
                WuDrWu commented
                Editing a comment
                "NOBODY"? Perhaps a re-perusal of this and other threads today might suggest a slightly different conclusion. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, won't be the first or last time.

• NM
              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I just don't buy it anymore. If it's not his natural position, then put in ES in there. He's not a 1 either but he plays way smarter, isn't hunting his shot, and does more winning plays than losing plays with the ball in his hand.

I'm tired of the "SHJ has to play" excuse. Complete liability... on BOTH ends of the floor.
                Exactly, ES isn’t a point guard either but he has a much higher basketball IQ and plays a team game. I continually see Marshall yank ES and leave in SHJ and it just makes no sense. ES is the best player on our team right now and, yes, that includes McDuffie.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  For 3 seasons there was a realistic goal to compete for a National Championship. That's not an easy thing to do, anywhere, to say nothing of 2 years in the Valley. We sold out a shade with basically 2 seasons of the same roster. We came up short, but damn it, I'm glad we tried.

Unfortunately, our place in the upper tier of college basketball wasn’t on real solid ground (we aren’t a blue blood) and putting us in the position to need a “reset” year is extremely risky and setting us up to have another one in four years is just plain scary. It’s a slippery slope in college athletics and a program like ours has a very small margin of error.

Comment

• N Crestway
                    N Crestway commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Said it better than I could.
                Working...
                X