Wichita State vs Baylor Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
    I figured something happened to Dexter Dennis that made him flagrantly foul. Anyone know what preceded that?
    He got elbowed in the chest on a hard screen

Comment

• Topshock
      Topshock commented
      Editing a comment
      An illegal moving screen of which Baylor set a plethora of in my opinion.

• The entire team lost their mental edge in the 2nd half. It wasn’t only SHJ although he had a couple of moments of bad decisions. They stopped moving (some standing around) and passing on offense. I saw Mm take a couple of bad shots, Dexter made some bad decisions, Stephenson took a couple of bad shots and on and on. It was a team collapse to lose a 25+ lead. Rebounding was good and defense was great in the first half. I’d rather learn from a win and this young team still has a lot to learn.

Comment

• 1. When MM is active he is good. When he stands around he isn't.
      2. I don't understand why ES only had 22 minutes
      3. AM blocked a shot, altered another and tipped a sure Baylor rebound out to one of our guys in just 2 min
      4. Take away the two TO's and Chandler played well - he has a lot of upside and can post up
      5. Really like the teams energy, at times, especially on defense.
      6. At least SHJ is difficult to guard. Teams are going to sag on RT and JB. Brown also.
      7. KEY game next Saturday

Comment

• TheShocktocles
        TheShocktocles commented
        Editing a comment
        Totally agree that teams are going to sag on Torres and Burton until they start making shots. But both players can make the mid range shot. They have to take and make them. Glad Torres made his pullup. Keep doing it.

• Topshock
        Topshock commented
        Editing a comment
        AM also missed more point blank shots and generally makes the team worse when he is on the floor.

• Box score for the Wichita State Shockers vs. Baylor Bears NCAAM game from December 1, 2018 on ESPN. Includes all points, rebounds and steals stats.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
        1. When MM is active he is good. When he stands around he isn't.
        2. I don't understand why ES only had 22 minutes
        3. AM blocked a shot, altered another and tipped a sure Baylor rebound out to one of our guys in just 2 min
        4. Take away the two TO's and Chandler played well - he has a lot of upside and can post up
        5. Really like the teams energy, at times, especially on defense.
        6. At least SHJ is difficult to guard. Teams are going to sag on RT and JB. Brown also.
        7. KEY game next Saturday
        One of IPBCs turn overs was the fault of Burton. He took off early and Poor Bear got called for the moving screen.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• pinstripers
          pinstripers commented
          Editing a comment
          yep

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          And Gregg let Burton have it after the call.

• Starters:

That’s probably as good of a game as you are going to see from Samajae. He had a double-double and was key for us winning last night. He still made several bad decisions, but he’s not going to be the calming force that Conner, Fred, or Malcolm was. He and McDuffie are wrecking balls. Have to hope that the backswing does less damage than the intended target.

Markis had a ho-hum 15 point effort. That’s a good thing!

Dennis is going to be a star. He can shoot a little, and can really get into the lane. Playing defense without using his hands has been a big improvement. He makes winning plays.

Torres continues his improvement as a floor general. Burton subbed in for him in late game defensive situations. His shot will fall...eventually. I think he will be extremely important for us next year.

Jaime is soft. Note his getting stuffed by the front of the rim. I thought he responded well after that and showed some guts, but still soft.

Bench:

Stevenson with another delightful game! He plays extremely hard, but needs to play smarter. He will. He combined with SHJ in the first half for 6 consecutive three point makes!!!

Burton had a bad game. He didn’t penetrate the zone and didn’t make the winning plays I’m used to seeing. Still, he, Stevenson, Dennis, Torres, and Allen be a VERY strong backcourt next year before including the new highly touted freshman guards. Not enough minutes...

Brown really hustles out there. Waiting to see some skilll.

No Chance Moore?

Udeze needs to wipe this game from his memory. Long term outlook is still very high.

Asbjorn played well in his two minutes. I was surprised he didn’t get more time.

How about Poor Bear! Great offensive move and tons of hustle and smart decisions. He really found the outlet on the rebounds! My wife says that he looks like he plays for the Flint Tropics. He got some PT at PF too! If he can play the 4 for us, that greatly opens up his opportunities next year and strengthens our team. Not sure he has any ball handling skills to speak of.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• TheShocktocles
          TheShocktocles commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome post. Lol Jamie is soft and got stuffed by the rim. He has a lot of potential but he has got to get meaner. IPBC has a lot of upside. Man if we can get him going. Morri's U had an off game because of fouls.

• Kung Wu
          Kung Wu commented
          Editing a comment
          Wrecking ball metaphor is fantastic!

• 1979Shocker
          1979Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          On SHJ's traveling on the double team, it looked like he wasn't expecting it. He should have been ready for something like that and found the open player. But could he have gotten it to an open player because at that point in the game, a lot of the other players were standing around.

• Neither coach would have slept well last night.
        Jaime's 9 rebounds were good but all in all it might of been his worst overall performance.
        It certainly was Chandler's best 9 minutes of the year but why is he starting the second half in place of Markis? Seems like a "we have it in the bag" message.
        We collectively flunked the 2nd half time management class.
        No victory without Samajae. 21 and 10. Still some bad decisions and some are gonna hate no matter what.
        How does Asbjorn get only two minutes? Gregg still mad about his shoulder last year?
        I've been one to defend Gregg's right to his time out philosophy but one should have been called earlier in the second half. Seems like we thought there was a 15 second time clock.
        Thank you Dexter for the big rebounds at the end of the game. DD may be the most unflappable player we have.
        Bottom line is a tremendous first half, a victory and a week for us fans to rest up.
        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Topshock
          Topshock commented
          Editing a comment
          How does AM only get two minutes?

Because he is the forth best 5 on the team and probably should never play as indicated by his atrocious +/- for the season.

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        Neither coach would have slept well last night.
        Jaime's 9 rebounds were good but all in all it might of been his worst overall performance.
        It certainly was Chandler's best 9 minutes of the year but why is he starting the second half in place of Markis? Seems like a "we have it in the bag" message.
        We collectively flunked the 2nd half time management class.
        No victory without Samajae. 21 and 10. Still some bad decisions and some are gonna hate no matter what.
        How does Asbjorn get only two minutes? Gregg still mad about his shoulder last year?
        I've been one to defend Gregg's right to his time out philosophy but one should have been called earlier in the second half. Seems like we thought there was a 15 second time clock.
        Thank you Dexter for the big rebounds at the end of the game. DD may be the most unflappable player we have.
        Bottom line is a tremendous first half, a victory and a week for us fans to rest up.
        IPBC started the second half because Markis had two fouls. Common practice by HCGM to protect his starter from picking up a quick third personal.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• I believe you can play in up too 9 games this year and still redshirt. This could be why we didn't see chance morre. Also it would seem the early minutes for Poor Bear were a reward for a good week of practice. When he capitalized on them there just wasn't any min. Left for AM. It is also a positive that the new staff seems to have identified that playing two bigs together does not work in modern basketball.

Comment

• wufan
            wufan commented
            Editing a comment
            You have such an axe to grind with Asbjorn. You appear to be rooting against him.

• Topshock
            Topshock commented
            Editing a comment
            I have no axe to grind at all. I wish he had all American potential. What I see is a player that in my opinion will never contribute much at this level of competition which I have said before is certainly nothing to be ashamed of and I threw out a few fact to back up that opinion.

• wufan
            wufan commented
            Editing a comment
            The “compliments” about AMs game were related to the brief stint he had last night. You could have left it be, but you had to bring up past criticisms from the past 30 minutes he played. For the record, AMs shooting percentage is currently better than IPBCs.

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
          I believe you can play in up too 9 games this year and still redshirt. This could be why we didn't see chance morre. Also it would seem the early minutes for Poor Bear were a reward for a good week of practice. When he capitalized on them there just wasn't any min. Left for AM. It is also a positive that the new staff seems to have identified that playing two bigs together does not work in modern basketball.
          You can’t play in any games and still redshirt unless you have an injury.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• 12eagle
            12eagle commented
            Editing a comment
            You are correct, I thought the new rule that allowed players to play 1/3 of the season before deciding on redshirt applied to basketball but it appears to only apply to football at this time.

• I thought JE, MM, SHJ, IPBC, and RT all played pretty soft defense the second half. We allowed them to attack
          without much resistance way too often. We have the fouls to give / depth in the center position for ALL of them
          to contest everything around the rim. You HAVE to send a message to the other team that there will be a price
          to pay for driving all the way to the basket. We have length, weight and depth and I just hate seeing anyone
          driving to the basket to lay one in without contention. All our centers should end the game with at least three
          fouls and a couple with 4 or 5.

Comment

• TheShocktocles
            TheShocktocles commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh it so much fun to see that someone has the same point of view about the other team players driving to the basket that I do. WTF The other team has to know that you pay a price coming to the rim. I am not suggesting dirty play, but those pkayers need to understand that we have MEN in the paint. Your shot is going to be blocked, you will have bruises after the game because our guys play physical and tough. Right now this team has not achieved this standard.
            Last edited by TheShocktocles; December 2, 2018, 10:16 AM.

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
          No victory without a lot of key contributors. When he gets sets shots off of passes, he usually makes shots. When he tries to do his little 1 on 1, sidestep crap, without any offense being ran, it's hit and miss, and when it's a miss, it's just a terrible shot because nobody is in place for a rebound. He got 9 first half rebounds because Baylor bricked everything every which way and other guys were boxing out. Those boards were a little misleading.

Regardless, he had 4 turnovers and 3 assists. That's not the best ratio for a senior guard. When he takes bad shots, those are essentially unrecorded turnovers as well. He also gets blown by on defense a lot. He gives up a lot of easy buckets on that end of the floor that doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

You can call it "hate" all you want. But it's the facts. And it's just the way it is. He's a very good JUCO player.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Steeleshocker
            Steeleshocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I really dislike the step back 3s he often takes, but am ok with shooting any open 3 he has off a pass. That being said, his move on Makai Mason was so filthy he was left on roller skates. I'm ok with that sidestep 3 because he absolutely embarrassed the dude.

• No victory without SHJ is probably correct. I think his minutes continue to diminish as the season goes on. He really struggles making good decisions.

Comment

• I thought our offense ran so much better when RT and ES were in the game. Both are good passers and most of the time making really good decisions with the ball. SHJ is not a good decision maker at all and it hurts the team. He can score the ball, but he is not consistent. When he drove the basket toward the end of the game, instead of passing it into to a crowd he should have just taken it to the hole and scored. I will say this our offense intensity went away in the second half and that could have been the reason for him forcing way too many bad shots. I still insist he should be an SG rather than the PG. You want decision-makers at the point.

Comment

• Dan
              Dan commented
              Editing a comment
              SHJ is a guy that we need right now, but as the season wears on, he would probably be most effective as a 6th man who can come in and light up the opponent after they’re a bit winded.

• wufan
              wufan commented
              Editing a comment
              SHJ will start as long as he is healthy.

• ShockerFever
              ShockerFever commented
              Editing a comment
              Not if Torres starts making shots.

• All kinds of things to pick on after this game. Markis shouldn't take half of his shots from 3 for instance. Jamie not finishing strong.

But things that I like far outweighed the negatives. The guys REALLY got after it for the first time all year on D. I mean REALLY got after it against a big strong Big12 team they punched them in the nose and learned they were the better team. That's something to build on.

We made a lot of basketball plays. Hustle plays on the floor, steals, big offensive rebounds, great sharing of the basketball (at times), in fact all "at times" BUT those are things we can build upon.

Don't get too high, don't get too low....man all that in one game. I've always been excited about this season, and while not considering it a throwaway season, I've personally taken a stance of "we're just too young and thin to be good right now". I'm still there mostly, but now, win in Norman Saturday and this program just might be back sooner than later.

Dexter Dennis is going to be special. Go Shocks!

Comment

• WuShock16
              WuShock16 commented
              Editing a comment
              I will bet you my house that the Shockers don’t win in Norman on Saturday. Haha!

• WuDrWu
              WuDrWu commented
              Editing a comment
              Funny guy. At least I haven't spelled Gregg incorrectly of late.
          Working...
          X