No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Baylor Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought Jamie had a god awful stretch in the second half. He got lost on defense giving up at least three straight baskets and he missed a couple of layup opportunities on the other end. The film session for JE will be lit.

We took some bad three just before that but still had a 29 point lead. The JE stretch really gave Baylor momentum.

AM actually played fine in the first half. Baylor went at him but were unsuccessful and he finished his one scoring opportunity with two free throws. I know HCGM was frustrated when he didn’t cleanly rebound a couple of defensive boards, but we eventually got each of them. AM should have been given an opportunity.

Hopefully coach will focus on the good and find a way to get positive vibes out of what should be a good win for this group.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      No victory without SHJ is probably correct. I think his minutes continue to diminish as the season goes on. He really struggles making good decisions.
      I'm not sure that will happen. I think 3G is pretty committed to relying in Markis and Samajae as the linch pins of this year's team. It is not that Samajae is without talent and skills. He has some very good basketball skills and athleticism. Samajae's challenge, IMHO, is learning how really good basketball with a team concept is played. To a degree he is what he is and his style of play is pretty ingrained but I still hold out some hope that he will at least improve somewhat in this area as the season progresses. I think, at times, he has shown that. At other times he defaults to the playground. I do think the team operates better with Samajae at the 2.

So maybe his minutes diminish at the 1 and grow at the 2.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 2, 2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

No victory without a lot of key contributors. When he gets sets shots off of passes, he usually makes shots. When he tries to do his little 1 on 1, sidestep crap, without any offense being ran, it's hit and miss, and when it's a miss, it's just a terrible shot because nobody is in place for a rebound. He got 9 first half rebounds because Baylor bricked everything every which way and other guys were boxing out. Those boards were a little misleading.

Regardless, he had 4 turnovers and 3 assists. That's not the best ratio for a senior guard. When he takes bad shots, those are essentially unrecorded turnovers as well. He also gets blown by on defense a lot. He gives up a lot of easy buckets on that end of the floor that doesn't show up in the stat sheet.

You can call it "hate" all you want. But it's the facts. And it's just the way it is. He's a very good JUCO player.
        SHJ has a 2:1 A:TO ratio; it’s just that when he makes bad decisions, they are really bad.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Steeleshocker
          Steeleshocker commented
          Editing a comment
          What's missing is the bad shots without running the offense are essentially turnovers but don't show up in the box score.

However, I do agree he is passing a little better as the season goes on, just need to see more and more of it.

• ShockerFever
          ShockerFever commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct, Steeleshocker. I thought I made that clear in my post but wufan must not have read it. His bad shots are unrecorded turnovers that don't show up in the stat sheets.

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

SHJ has a 2:1 A:TO ratio; it’s just that when he makes bad decisions, they are really bad.
        He may have a 2-1 A;TO ratio, but he is JuCo through and through. He will make an excellent MVP in the Wichita Y League next year.

JE has possibilities, but until the coaches drill into him to seal off the baseline drives, he is a defensive liability. How many times does he have to let his post player drive right by on the baseline?
        Burton just couldn't get into the flow of this game. Just wasn't a good match up for him.

Stevenson is the real deal. He does so many things right that don't show in a box score. They don't win without him.
        Same with Dennis. Had two nice hoops at the start. Then kind of disappeared until his huge rebounds at the end. But he can play.

Poor Bear has potential. Once Kerry gets a hold of him and loses the baby fat, kid has skills.

Torres will be fine... difference between his first game and yesterday is light years.

Felt bad for Udeze. Some days are just like that.

Rod Brown works hard... have to wonder. Same with AM. Thought he deserved more minutes.

That is all.

Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          1. When MM is active he is good. When he stands around he isn't.
          2. I don't understand why ES only had 22 minutes
          3. AM blocked a shot, altered another and tipped a sure Baylor rebound out to one of our guys in just 2 min
          4. Take away the two TO's and Chandler played well - he has a lot of upside and can post up
          5. Really like the teams energy, at times, especially on defense.
          6. At least SHJ is difficult to guard. Teams are going to sag on RT and JB. Brown also.
          7. KEY game next Saturday
          Could be GGG's pet peeve of swiping at opponent in backcourt instead of sprinting hard back on defense. I saw that once near midcourt on the west sideline, resulting in two easy points for Baylor at the north basket. Most of the time when he fails to keep the opponent in front of him defensively, it is because he is moving toward the opponent t=rather than obtaining/maintaining position. He is getting better, though.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Forgot to mention this...

The ESPN app has a live game time win probability graph, sort of 538-style, under the “Gamecast” tab. At half it showed our probability of winning at 99.7%. Meaning Baylor had a - more-or-less - 1:332 chance of winning the game.

And it damn near happened.

Since this year is basically house money, I’m not that emotionally attached to each game as I normally would be, so about 5 minutes into the 2nd half, and after the 4 point swing from DD’s F1 foul, I was half-laughing internally at the ridiculousness of it all.

By the way, the lowest the probability dropped to was 77.5% at 3:35 left. Coulda fooled me, that’s for sure.

Comment

• First half: more defensive intensity, Baylor rattled, and some unconscious shooting on the part of WSU.

Second half: less defensive intensity, more attempt to run a deliberate half court offense [ but without the solid backcourt decision making and play that WSU has had in the past ], and at some point Baylor began to smell blood in the water and got their game going...the perfect storm for a team with a bunch of new guys.

Comment

• Rather than quote a lot of posters, both who I agree with and disagree, I will say hindsight can be a lot clearer than foresight, for fans and coaches, and throw my 2 cents in.

It's one thing to let an experienced team (or a team with fair amount) to work out their problems on the court and totally something else for a team with a whole lot of newbies when you don't have seniors that can be your "coach on the court". I know that we only had 1 timeout left (and Marshall said he was saving it if they needed for an inbounds problem), but timing of those called timeouts maybe could have been better. Don't waste one on a 1st half last position with a 29 point lead. I think that caused "timing" problems for when HCGM could use his timeouts in the second.

We have four players that can play the 5, at least for a few minutes at a time. JE had 28 minutes. While effective with his rebounding and D, he wasn't on his shooting or FTs last night. I felt he played too many to stay fresh and allow others to gain more experience (given the situation). IPBC 9 minutes and some of those were at the 4, which I believe to be is a position he can play. MU played one stint of 3 minutes, quickly got to fouls, and never seen again. He has averaged almost 17 mpg, 5.6 ppg, 4.3 rpg, while shooting .700 FG% over his previous 5 games. Somewhat the same for AM, although he had 2 minutes of basically effective play and then disappeared. These four players give you up to 20 fouls, but had only 8 for the game. AM and certainly MU could have played at least another stint of 5 minutes combined.

SHJ is primarily playing the 2 and said as much in his post game interview. As RT, JB, and ES play grows, less will be put on SHJ's shoulders and I believe will see more restraint. ES probably should have gotten more play in the 2nd half. The kid seems to be able to do it all and is ahead of the other newbies for an all-around game. If RT and JB are in the game, they are most likely playing the 1 (they had 35 minutes last night). Neither has hit a 3 yet, but RT had a pretty good offensive game going 2-4 FG, 3 assists with only 1 turnover and a steal. JB is the better defensive PG, but had an off night offensively.

DD is right behind ES in his overall game and is a physical stud. Both these guys can play the 2/3, but ES is more of a 2, DD a 3. He (and ES) is making it difficult for CM to see any playing time at the 3. I think CM may be the better shot, but is lacking the physical ability (assuming he's trying to play good D in practice) to have the overall impact of the other two. DD played 31 minutes last night, his O was a little off, but not the rest of his game. Really felt bad for DD getting the F1. I'm sure he was very pissed about the no-call elbow to the chest as he was working to stay with his man. Lesson hopefully learned.

I just don't know if RB has an offensive game. He's only 1-3 (0-1 from 3) FGs in almost 50 minutes so far. He is a good 5-6 from the line. Maybe he's just doing what HCGM wants and that's playing good ol' hard D which he seems to do.

MM needs to lead by example on the floor. There are other vocal leaders (albeit young) on this team. If he let's the game come to him and do what he does best, we all see what success he can have and what a big impact that will have on the team. He was 5-7 FG inside the arc last night, but 1-7 from 3. Only the open, set 3 more, the off balance or rushed 3 less. Try not to put the ball on the floor too much (some would say "don't at all"). Work hard on D.

IMHO, this team's offense (from at least what I see, it may not be what the coaches want) can be very stagnant. Baylor was throwing them different defenses repeatedly in the 2nd half and that seemed to throw them off. Standing around, putting the ball on the floor too much, and not making that second or third quick pass is almost never good. It will take time to learn, but the staff needs to find ways of "jump starting" it when it happens. You just cannot have a team back on their heels on either side of the court.
                Last edited by ShockTalk; December 2, 2018, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• shockerofandover0943
                  shockerofandover0943 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree with a lot of your comments. Wanted to mention that the timeout they used at the end of the 1st Half was their use it or lose it. I'm sure HCGM would rather hang on to that, if he had the option.

• With a few minutes left last night, I started losing my mind about the line-up. We had four dudes on the court that did not want to shoot. Eventually I yelled something inappropriate that translated to “put ES in.” Got quite a few looks from the folks in front of me, but seconds later we got a stoppage in play and ES got in. Of course he redeemed by scoring! That kid needs more minutes. Let him learn in the film room.

Comment

• As evident in his high school videos...Poor Bear sure showed some quick and nimble feet. That's obviously a good trait to have from a big guy and totally transferrable to D-1 ball. Was kinda wondering why coach hasn't tried him more thus far but probably because Poor Bear was late getting here this summer and needed to get more up too speed. Now moving forward it seems like we will be seeing him getting more and more minutes!!! Good sign IMO.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• ShockTalk
                    ShockTalk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My understanding is that IPBC's lack of playing time had something to do with "pouting" at a practice and/or about not playing. I assume that's been corrected.

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not only quick feet, but has baby soft hands and good reactions with the ball. He reminds me a little of a young Shaq.

• Steeleshocker
                    Steeleshocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Going into the game last night, the defense with IPBC on the floor had been horrible. In something like 46 defensive possessions, the opponent scored a basket on all but 2. I know that wasn't only his fault, but...

• IPBC, like the rest of the freshmen, is oozing with potential! It’s exciting to watch them grow!
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Awesome!

The 1965 Final Four team joins in the post game celebration...

https://twitter.com/segura__nick/sta...249359360?s=21
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tradition!

T

...:cool:

• TheShocktocles
                      TheShocktocles commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome. I really like how Coach Marshall honors our tradition.

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                    Forgot to mention this...

The ESPN app has a live game time win probability graph, sort of 538-style, under the “Gamecast” tab. At half it showed our probability of winning at 99.7%. Meaning Baylor had a - more-or-less - 1:332 chance of winning the game.

And it damn near happened.

Since this year is basically house money, I’m not that emotionally attached to each game as I normally would be, so about 5 minutes into the 2nd half, and after the 4 point swing from DD’s F1 foul, I was half-laughing internally at the ridiculousness of it all.

By the way, the lowest the probability dropped to was 77.5% at 3:35 left. Coulda fooled me, that’s for sure.
                    When it got to five, I was officially nervous. Was really starting to doubt they would salvage the win. All said, I thought they responded well to some adversity and learned a valuable lesson about playing hard for 40 minutes.

Comment

• Good grief, I expected a roller coaster ride this season but not in one game, at least, not like that! More of the first half team please. Sort of reminded me of the first half against Rice. Everybody was in synch on defense, moving their feet, our length and speed stifling their offense. And the ball movement in the first half was near perfect. Like others here, I love this series and hope 3G was able to convince Drew to continue it. Gotta love the guy for being willing to play at The Chuck.

This team has serious potential. Once they figure out they have to play Angry for a full 40 minutes a game, they're going to be a handful. I don't expect a win next week but I'll be it's a damned competitive game. Coach has a week to show them some film and, unabashed shout out to Coach Gudino, a bit of scouting of Sooner tendacies and weaknesses and we might Shock some folks!

Comment

• Here is the game replay:

Comment

Working...
                      X