No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs Davidson Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much to write that hasn't already been written. I'm not the coach, for all purposes the game may have been exactly as GM wanted, we just didn't have shots fall. And sometimes that happens. So as a fan of basketball, here's what I liked and didn't like from the game...again, as a fan.

I LOVED Wichita State's energy and rebounding in the first half. Every shot that went up from Davidson we had at least 3 Shockers looking for a board. That was fun to watch.

I loved Davidson's movement on the offensive end, especially in the first half. I think they space the floor better than any team we've played this year and they move the ball very well. It was almost like watching Warriors ball. I didn't like easy to defend. If Davidson had been hitting a decent percentage of shots I think WSU would have been down big in the first half. To that effect, WSU's defense was either pretty good in the first half - especially on close-outs, or Davidson was just missing shots. I hope it was WSU defense. It would be awesome to see that kind of movement, rotation and passing from the WSU team.

I didn't like hesitancy on WSU's end of the floor to shoot an open shot. At this level, if you are open and - this is the important part - in rhythm and ready to shoot the ball, you should do it. Those shots are 50% more likely to go in than a good shooter forcing a bad shot as the shot clock expires. I think at some point this will come for some players.

I didn't like the selfishness of players who like to shoot early in the shot clock when no other player has touched the ball. What's the point of that? That shot can be taken at any time during a game. Just because it might go in 30-35% of the time doesn't make it a good shot. Ever. Period. Nuff said and no names.

If a team, ANY team is going to dribble drive the lane, KNOW what you're going to do. Don't go in soft, off balance, and try and flick a finger roll up there from your waist or shoulders. If you're likely to fall down from even the smallest amount of contact, then it's not a good shot. If you fall down on any shot from the slightest amount of contact, it's not a good shot.

Free throws are an integral part of the game. You shoot 75-80% as a team, I'm guessing the odds of you winning any game improve dramatically. WSU needs a lot of work in this area. If you put me in either an open gym or gym filled with 15,0000 people screaming, and you put me on the free throw line, and you blind fold me, I still make almost 50% my free throws. For almost 25 years I have only shot free throws from the top of the key. You do that exclusively and the charity stripe really does end up looking like candy.

With all of this in mind, the first half was actually kind of fun to watch even if it was low scoring. Looking forward to a complete game from WSU at some point! :wsu_posters:

Comment

• SB Shock
      SB Shock commented
      Editing a comment
      WSU is ranked 339th in FT%. Not sure what the exact number of D1 schools are but I’m pretty sure that mean is very near the bottom.

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that's dead last, but it's early...
Working...
X