No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Davidson Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kellan Grady is Davidson's best player since Curry. He's getting a lot of love on some draft boards.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...class.amp.html

Gundmonson (21) and Grady (16) both played well vs UK in last year's tourney. Could be the best backcourt we face this season.

McDuffie 75
    Grady 68

Comment

I'm just nervous that MM and SHJ are gonna come out again and just start chucking and amazingly they aren't gonna shoot at the near 60% clip they shot combined on Friday. And then we get a repeat of La Tech.

Please more assists. Please. And more ball movement. Get everybody involved. It makes everything flow better. That's Shocker basketball.

I'm hoping for the best but I just can't trust the seniors after one fluky performance after La Tech is still fresh in the mind.

Davidson is probably the slight favorites here, as they should be.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        I'm just nervous that MM and SHJ are gonna come out again and just start chucking and amazingly they aren't gonna shoot at the near 60% clip they shot combined on Friday. And then we get a repeat of La Tech.

Please more assists. Please. And more ball movement. Get everybody involved. It makes everything flow better. That's Shocker basketball.

I'm hoping for the best but I just can't trust the seniors after one fluky performance after La Tech is still fresh in the mind.

I imagine we will see some more games that you describe above that none of us want to see, and some where we do exactly what you want. Going to be a rollercoaster season.
        Livin the dream

Comment

I expect a bit of a let down after Friday evening's big win (yes, I consider it a big win for such a young and inexperienced squad) with SHJ and MM not hitting their shots like the previous game. But I think our men keep it close down the line. Coach is getting more and more tape for these young-uns to review and, because they seem to learn better by watching themselves, we'll see continued improvement, especially with ball movement, boxing out and crashing the boards.

I'll be interested to see if 3G continues his "experimentation" with the zone defense this week. It seems to be effective. I don't know if Davidson is much of a pressing team but if they've paid attention to the Shockers' first two opponents, they'll press our young guards as much as possible. I've been really impressed with JB's ability to handle the press. The "old soul" certainly has made a few mistakes (bad passes) but his play has been really solid thus far and that bodes well for us.

First team to 65 walks away with a W.

Comment

Comment

MM and SHJ were not at fault that we lost to La Tech imo. They had poor games but as a team we didn't rebound or shoot free throws very well and as a team we didn't play well. That said, MM and SHJ didn't play well against La Tech (and as I understand it, they didn't play they have practiced).

Against Providence, they both took good shots, SHJ had a great assist game, and both didn't take a bad shot the entire game. MM, especially took 3's that were on balance, and not hurried. On his jumpers, he didn't take leaning shots, and he rebounded better. I will see if he does those things again to evaluate his performance, instead of whether they shoot 60% from 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                I expect a bit of a let down after Friday evening's big win (yes, I consider it a big win for such a young and inexperienced squad) with SHJ and MM not hitting their shots like the previous game. But I think our men keep it close down the line. Coach is getting more and more tape for these young-uns to review and, because they seem to learn better by watching themselves, we'll see continued improvement, especially with ball movement, boxing out and crashing the boards.

I'll be interested to see if 3G continues his "experimentation" with the zone defense this week. It seems to be effective. I don't know if Davidson is much of a pressing team but if they've paid attention to the Shockers' first two opponents, they'll press our young guards as much as possible. I've been really impressed with JB's ability to handle the press. The "old soul" certainly has made a few mistakes (bad passes) but his play has been really solid thus far and that bodes well for us.

First team to 65 walks away with a W.

Comment

• Dan
                  Dan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MM did take a few “falling down” shots against Providence, they just went in this time. Also, SHJ did get into trouble on a few of his drives but he was mch better at looking for help. Still a work in progress but amazing how we look at it when they otherwise put up good stats and we come out with the W.

I wonder which Shocker team will show up

Comment

• TheShocktocles
                  TheShocktocles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The biggest thing for me is that I hope the shocks play better man to man defense in these three games and rebound better than the previous two. The reason our guys played so much zone against Providence was that our man defense sucked. Coach was forced to go to a zone. We need to be able to play zone and man to man. And of course better offense and free throw shooting will need to continue to improve. Run the offense and take good shots. We got good shooters if they don't force it. Go Shocks.

A glass is half empty view of the Shockers; a couple of questions for you Fever

Why is the Providence victory a fluke while the loss to Louisiana Tech is the Shocker standard?

Was not the Providence victory on a neutral court and against a better team?

Comment

• ShockerExpress
                  ShockerExpress commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes. Also - SHJ had 8 assists on Friday. Is that not a lot?

I still don't pick against the Shocks and we'll hopefully set a new NCAA record: Rushers 789 - Shockers 794.

Comment

MMs off balance shots were on drives to the basket and off of offensive rebounds, and not on jumpers. I have no problem with shot creativity close to the basket when the ball is more likely to roll in. His jumpers need to be on balance.

A criticsm by Fever in the past used to be that success was only against low level teams. Providence is atop 50 and we don’t have any SWAC type of teams on our schedule. I don’t look at Conf. USA and Horizon on that level.

Comment

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Also, La Tech may be better than we think. They have an important game coming up against LSU that may be a good barometer.

• ShockingButTrue
                    ShockingButTrue commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ... plus, La. Tech was predominantly upperclassmen. Providence, outside of Diallo, was playing just about as many freshman minutes as the Shockers did.

Davidson will present more of challenge than the young Friar squad did I'm afraid. But, like any other time, if the Shockers hit the glass they've got a chance, as always.

“We must break them. If they die, they die.”
                  Shox -72
                  Dave- 64

Comment

Someone is going to win by around 3 points and it just might as well be the Shockers..

Comment

This young Shocker team is going to have a lot of practices and film time before they play Davidson. They’re going to win.
                      i think people underestimate the upgrade in recruits Marshall is bringing in. They will get better faster and will all be experienced players by February. The shooting, size and athleticism is there. Lots to improve on but Marshall will get them there.
                      I don’t buy the whole stop McDuffie and you stop WSU. That’s not how Marshall’s teams work. There are no volume shooters here. WSU has 7/8 guys who can score the ball.

Comment

• FadedCrown
                        FadedCrown commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's not how Marshall teams should work but looking at the last 2 games, McDuffie thinks it is his show. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.

Shocks by 5
                      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                      X