Wichita State vs. Davidson Pre-Game Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. Davidson Pre-Game Discussion

Here's the god dang deal everyone, there are 3 things in our way of a shiny trophy and one of them is the Pussycats out of North Carolina. Davidson hasn't done anything of relevance since Steph Curry was in town and are now lookin' to stop our band of young men. We won't let em, and you can bet on it, Sharpie. MM shows newfound maturity again and goes off for 25 points while JB scores 14 as his sidekick. 76-66 as we prepare most likely for the Trains, I mean Boilermakers. It's a great day to be a Shocker!

A well coached team with longevity and consistency and a bunch of returning guys from all over the planet that have shown they can score and play together....we needed a special night from Rags the last time we played these guys to win. I think they're better than they were then, and we aren't as good as that 11-12 team.

We have our hands full with the Wildcats. I imagine they'll be a 1-2 point favorite. This would be a really nice win for our guys.

Comment

66 to 65 WSU
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I think saying Davidson has not done anything of relevance since Steph Curry departed is quite a bit overstated. Of course, I guess that depends on your definition of revelance. It is true that they have not won a post-season game in the last 9 years. A lot of teams are in the same boat. What they have done since Curry left is to have 9 consecutive winning seasons with 4 NCAA appearances and 2 NIT appearances. In their 4 NCAA years they went 96-36. They were blown out by Iowa in their 2015 NCAA game but very competitive in 2012 losing 62-69 to Louisville, in 2013 losing 58-59 to Marquette and last year losing 73-78 to Kentucky. Maybe not relevant by Blue Blood standards but pretty solid by mid-major standards.

Most likley Davidson will be well coached and well-prepared for the Shocks. No doubt they will be focused on Markis McDuffie as so far how Markis goes, so goes the Shockers. This will be a good test to see if Markis can take what the defense gives him. If they pay too much attention to him, hopefully he can make them pay by involving his teammates.

One advantage the Shockers will have is that Davidson does not appear to be very deep. Looks like 6 players are carrying most of the load for Davidson as those 6 have scored 95% of Davidson's points, grabbed 76% of the teams rebounds and played 88% of the minutes in their first 2 games (home wins of 83-63 over Cleveland State and 79-76 over Dartmouth).

Here is a rundown of those 6 players and their stats for the 2 games they have played this year:

#31 Kellan Grady - 6-5, 195 So. Guard - 23.5 PPG, 5.0 RPG in 35.0 MPG
        #03 Jon Axel Gudmundson - 6-5, 190 Jr. Guard - 20.0 PPG including 5-10 3-pointers, 7.5 RPG and 5.0 assists vs 1.5 turnovers per game in 36.5 MPG
        #35 Luka Brajkovic - 6-10, 220 Fr Forward - 14.0 PPG, 6.5 RPG in 20.5 MPG
        #24 Carter Collins - 6-3, 180 So. Guard - 7.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG in 23.0 MPG
        #34 Luke Frampton - 6-5, 200 R-Fr. Guard - 6.5 PPG, 1.5 RPG, 2.5 APG to .05 turnovers per game in 30.5 MPG
        #20 KiShawn Pritchett - 6-6. 225 R-Jr Guard - 5.5 PPG, 3.0 RPG, 3.5 APG to .05 turnovers per game in 31.0 MPG

Davidson Roster and Davidson Stats

Davidson outrebounded Cleveland State 47-25 including 21-2 on the offensive glass and they ourtrebounded Dartmouth 37-30 including 12-5 on the offensive glass. Shocks would seem to have a decided advantage on the boards except at maybe a couple of guard positions and this better not happen against them.

Davidson has only turned the ball over 19 times in 2 games. The Shocks have turned it over 32 times in 2 games.

Davidson is a very good 23-30 (76.7%) from the free throw line in 2 games. However, they are only 17-54 (31.5%) on 3-point shots.

I do believe these numbers for Davidson have come against lesser opponents than the Shockers have faced so far this year.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Davidson might be a little more experienced than the Shockers but not a whole lot. Shocks look to have the advantage in depth and perhaps can wear the Wildcats down. Time to play angry and force Davidson to expend as much energy as possible.

The Shocks have a lot more beef and a lot more fouls they can put to use in the paint. We'll have to see if Asbjorn has passed the concussion protocal by Thursday.

Markis might be a bit of a tough match-up for these guys but they also may be focusing on him after his big game against Providence. If so he just needs to let the game come to him and make them pay by involving his teammates if the overplay him.

Samajae will have a size disadvantage in this game but hopefully his quickness advantage will present some challenges for Davidson.

I can see Jamarius and Dexter having a big impact on this game especially on the defensive end.

The key, of course, is that Markis and Samajae need to play smart and under control. If that happens and if the Shocks rebound and defend I like our prospects in this one.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

forevershockerfan Have you passed the torch on prediction threads?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
              I think that is the case until futher notice.

I wanted do one more prediction thread to follow our SN tradition of having a Prediction Thread in hopes this will continue. This will be my last one for an unknown duration but will be checking in often and hoping the Shocks have a great Season. In the meanwhile, it has been an honor starting this thread and praying the Lord blesses and keeps each and every one of you.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I think saying Davidson has not done anything of relevance since Steph Curry departed is quite a bit overstated. Of course, I guess that depends on your definition of revelance. It is true that they have not won a post-season game in the last 9 years. A lot of teams are in the same boat. What they have done since Curry left is to have 9 consecutive winning seasons with 4 NCAA appearances and 2 NIT appearnaces. In their 4 NCAA years they went 96-36. They were blown out by Iowa in their 2015 NCAA game but very competitive in 2012 losing 62-69 to Louisville, in 2013 losing 58-59 to Marquette and last year losing 73-78 to Kentucky. Maybe not relevant by Blue Blood standards but pretty solid by mid-major standards.

Most likley Davidson will be well coached and well-prepared for the Shocks. No doubt they will be focused on Markis McDuffie as so far how Markis goes, so goes the Shockers. This will be a good test to see if Markis can take what the defense gives him. If they pay too much attention to him, hopefully he can make them pay by involving his teammates...

I do believe these numbers for Davidson have come against lesser opponents than the Shockers have faced so far this year.
              Thanks for posting this information, your research aligns with my own regards the Shockers chances against Davidson. IMO the Shockers will win this game with a wider victory margin than the 3 point spread they had against Providence.

Davidson has a great coach, a lovely campus and is located in a beautiful part of North Carolina. This game should prove valuable for the emerging Shocker roster!

Comment

Will this game be on TV or online only?

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxfan11 View Post
                  Will this game be on TV or online only?
                  Online and streaming only. GoShockers says ESPN3/WatchESPN.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• 1979Shocker
                    1979Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    GoShockers says the game starts at 6pm. WatchESPN has the game starting at 6:30pm. I think it will be closer to 6:30pm. The Purdue game starts at 4pm. and probably won't be over for 2 hours. then there is the 15 minutes or so between games.

I have to say that it is very cool that so many on here notice something like this. FSF seems like a salt of the earth kinda guy to me. We hope and pray he is doing well. This is a family on here, regardless of anonymity. I miss FSF too. I look forward to every pre-game thread first post by our friend.

Comment

Yes, for now, others are helping on the prediction thread and I hope to return at a later time to pitch in my 2 cents worth. Tsk, tsk, tsk. I am fine and thank each of you for your concern. The Shocks are going to be fun to watch this Season. In the meanwhile, hoping we the SN fans will be patient as our beloved but young Shocks get this Season figured out. My opinion so far is we have the talent in place as 3G has a full plate of challenges getting the rotation all figured out which takes time. Yes, several thought we would win game 1 and we did not. Others thought Providence would spank us, and they did not. Thus, each game will be an adventure and most SN fans will gladly stay aboard the Shocker turnip truck even through a challenging Season of rebuilding. Coach Marshall is one of the very best in the business and he will figure this all out as he always has in times past.

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                      Kung Wu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mmmm, turnips!

SHJ had a pretty good game but not a great game. MM had a GREAT final 30 minutes. MM will
                    never be able to sustain that kind of offensive production but hopefully both he and SHJ gained
                    some confidence. If they try and take over the offense it will suffer as the others will do more watching
                    and less moving without the ball themselves. MM and SHJ have to involve everyone in the offense if
                    we expect it to function like it should. Having said that I think there will be times they try and do too
                    much themselves and coming off of good games it is probable they will both try and do too much the
                    next game. I think this one will be close and the most efficient TEAM will win down the stretch and that it
                    will be them 67-63.

Comment

The Silver Fox - 68
                      The Receding Hairline - 71

Go Shockers!!!
                      :poster_wu::bball_spin::poster_wu:

Comment

• shockrah
                        shockrah commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Frankamp? lol

KenPom has us 76-75 with 52% odds
                      RealTime has 76-79
                      Nolan 78-73 67%
                      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                      ---------------------------------------
                      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                      X