No announcement yet.

2018-19 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching the UH/CINCI game yesterday all I could think of was how physical each team played on many possessions, grabbing, pulling, and the refs let em play on a lot of it.

1. I can't help but wonder how this translates to NCAA Tourney play. Will the NCAA let each of these teams play this physical come Tournament time? Will either team adapt if fouls are called or just play it out and hope the refs see "this is just how we play basketball" and start calling the obvious obvious fouls.

2. Thats a different level of physicality than WSU is used to playing, and to try to match it on the road, boy, I just don't see the refs letting it happen. So what's the opinion of SN? Do they try and match the physical play or finesse them? It will be curious to watch. I don't know that it will be "fun". Anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

• FadedCrown
      FadedCrown commented
      Editing a comment
      If they play physical towards you, you do it back. If the refs call stuff on us and not them, we lose the game, no point to switch styles.

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    Pathway to 6th is through Memphis. That's the easiest way to avoid Houston and Cincy. Unless Memphis wins at UCF (and if they do it probably won't matter anyway because it's unlikely we'd catch them) then I think WSU would have the tiebreaker, ASSUMING Wsu beats Memphis here, finishes 5-2 and Memphis goes 4-3. They have a similar schedule....@ECU and Tulane home, of course here, @Cincy, Tulsa at home, then it differs with @UCF and Temple at home as compared to us at SMU and Uconn here. Certainly their 7 games are more challenging. If we can get them here, and tie, it looks to me like UCF would be the tiebreaker, and they'd be 1-1 and we'd be 1-0 and if I'm reading the tiebreaker rules correctly, we'd get the higher seed. Lots of ifs, and we have to win games that are dicey at best, but there's a path.

Edit: With all the struggles and shortcomings this year, all the challenges, just don't give up a 12-0 run at the end of the Temple game. Just that. 12-1, ok, 11-0 ok. We're 6-5 and in great shape to finish top half of the league. Ifs and buts, I know.
    That Temple game might come into play with our 20-win season streak too. We're gonna have to finish strong to even get close but I can definitely see us making a run at it.

Majority of our "stat nuggets" are coming to an end this season, it would be awesome to keep one of them going.

Comment

• FadedCrown
      FadedCrown commented
      Editing a comment
      > Lose only to Cincy down the stretch (17-13)
      > Win out the Conf. Tourney as a 6 seed (21-13)
      > Make the NCAAs as a 12 seed
      > ?
      > Elite Eight (25-14)
      > Profit

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      We would be 18-12 if we win out except for Cincy.

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
    Watching the UH/CINCI game yesterday all I could think of was how physical each team played on many possessions, grabbing, pulling, and the refs let em play on a lot of it.

1. I can't help but wonder how this translates to NCAA Tourney play. Will the NCAA let each of these teams play this physical come Tournament time? Will either team adapt if fouls are called or just play it out and hope the refs see "this is just how we play basketball" and start calling the obvious obvious fouls.

2. Thats a different level of physicality than WSU is used to playing, and to try to match it on the road, boy, I just don't see the refs letting it happen. So what's the opinion of SN? Do they try and match the physical play or finesse them? It will be curious to watch. I don't know that it will be "fun". Anyone have any thoughts?
    "Finessing them" is what we've been trying to exorcise out of our program for the last two years. I hope we go into Cincy and punch them straight in the GD mouth. I don't care if we get charged with 5 straight fouls. Spread 'em out amongst the 5 starters and MAKE A POINT each time. Let them know that no matter who wins today, the next two hours will be a living hell.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• molly jabali
      molly jabali commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not always in agreement with you, but TOTALLY this...maybe not bear fruit this year, but if you are built on tough play, don't let it take a vacation.

• C0|dB|00ded
      C0|dB|00ded commented
      Editing a comment
      "I'm not always in agreement with you"

Hey... nobody's perfect.

T

• Originally posted by JVShocker(1) View Post
    Watching the UH/CINCI game yesterday all I could think of was how physical each team played on many possessions, grabbing, pulling, and the refs let em play on a lot of it.

I've noticed the physical play being ignored by the officials in most games in various conferences this season. I can't explain it, but it's happening across the board for some reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
      Wathcing the game between UH and Cinci yesterday, seeing UH's new arena and thinking of Cinci's, it make me wish donors (one in particular) would drop some "FU Money" and make WSU's arena the best in the conference.

Play in IBA for a season or two while construction is going on. I like the idea of fans being able to hit downtown before and after the game too. Help stimulate the economy and interaction among fans.
      If it happens, make sure to make it round. At the time of its construction, Ralph wanted a bigger arena. Thinking a little steeper angle for the seating could have added one to two thousand more seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

If it happens, make sure to make it round. At the time of its construction, Ralph wanted a bigger arena. Thinking a little steeper angle for the seating could have added one to two thousand more seats.
        Would 1-2000 additional seats be worth the effort and trouble?

Comment

• FadedCrown
          FadedCrown commented
          Editing a comment
          When you sell out every game, yes.

• choida
          choida commented
          Editing a comment
          If it ain't broke...

• Sports attendance is headed down, not up. Who knows what things look like in 10-20 years. There is a reason Houston's new arena has significantly fewer seats than their previous arena.

I think ideally a WSU-arena would be 11-12,000. But 10,500 is not bad.

Comment

• Cue up the time of the season where the rest of the Big 12 lays down for KU in 3,2,1.......

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
            Sports attendance is headed down, not up. Who knows what things look like in 10-20 years. There is a reason Houston's new arena has significantly fewer seats than their previous arena.

I think ideally a WSU-arena would be 11-12,000. But 10,500 is not bad.
            I've said this before and will say this again.

When Randy Smithson was coaching, he coined the term the "Stallworth Faithful," the 5,000 people or so who had been going to Shockers games since forever and would always go to games just because...even if the team was awful.

Let's say God forbid that WSU makes a bad coaching hire one or two coaches after Gregg and the program has a couple of 15-20 loss seasons. Will the "Marshall Faithful" be a thing? Will there be 5-6K who go to games just because? Take one look at Eck Stadium this spring to find that answer.

The only thing worse than an arena too small is an arena too big.
            78-65

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
              C0|dB|00ded commented
              Editing a comment
              There's nothing to do in Wichita save for a smattering of big events at the IBA. Wichita State basketball will always be the biggest deal in town every year. It's an important networking event for the "who's who".

T

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I've said this before and will say this again.

When Randy Smithson was coaching, he coined the term the "Stallworth Faithful," the 5,000 people or so who had been going to Shockers games since forever and would always go to games just because...even if the team was awful.

Let's say God forbid that WSU makes a bad coaching hire one or two coaches after Gregg and the program has a couple of 15-20 loss seasons. Will the "Marshall Faithful" be a thing? Will there be 5-6K who go to games just because? Take one look at Eck Stadium this spring to find that answer.

The only thing worse than an arena too small is an arena too big.
            I think there will be a new "Stallworth" faithful. I am too young to have ever seen Stallworth. I guess I would be an Antoine and X faithful. That's what carried us through the awful 90s, more than Stallworth, I believe. I think Murry, Early, Baker, Van Vleet, Shamet and Shaq faithful will be the new group.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

I think there will be a new "Stallworth" faithful. I am too young to have ever seen Stallworth. I guess I would be an Antoine and X faithful. That's what carried us through the awful 90s, more than Stallworth, I believe. I think Murry, Early, Baker, Van Vleet, Shamet and Shaq faithful will be the new group.
              Good analogy. I'm definitely in the AC camp (of course, X too).

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                Cue up the time of the season where the rest of the Big 12 lays down for KU in 3,2,1.......
                I don't know how likely it is, but what are the chances the entire KU Big-Whatever dominance thing is and has been scripted as such over the course of these many years. The school and the conference as a whole receive free publicity over this every year. They host a game day, and the topic always comes up. Low and behold KU stumbles (seems like) nearly every year but they pull out the win somehow. It makes the other teams look better than they may actually be, the conference appears to be glowing, and soon they are regarded as one of the top basketball conferences in the country, eliciting accolades upon teams (like OU last year) and garnering bids to the NCAA Tourney. Tourney games start, and lo and behold the mighty start to fall by the wayside. They had to be shocked that a team like Oklahoma State (which SWEPT) KU last year didn't get a bid. That's more league revenue.

I'm not saying they play bad basketball, its just that TOO many thinigs have happened in the past the just give me the feeling that I'm 12 years old again and watching Andre the Giant or Rick Flair get beat by the great Kabuki.

Comment

• Nice to see LSU beat Kentucky. At Kentucky.

Comment

• 02/11/19 - RECAP

Non-Conference
                    Oklahoma (15-10, 3-9 Big 12) Lost at Baylor (16-8, 7-4 Big 12) 53 to 59

Conference
                    None

Comment

• Hoping K- state takes care of Texas. Don’t want kU winning another title

Comment

• WstateU
                        WstateU commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Done!
                    Working...
                    X