If You Could Change One Play...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Could Change One Play...

Offseason topics are slim, so I will start one based on a Twitter topic I recently saw posed for NFL fans...

If you could change the outcome of one play in Shocker Basketball history, what would it be?

While I don’t have a final answer yet, my early contenders are:
    -Fred’s missed shot against Kentucky
    -Ron passing the ball to Ehimen instead of taking a WIDE OPEN 3 against Louisville
    -The late foul versus VCU in 2011
    -VCU’s 3 after Toure had hit a 3 to take the lead in the 2012 NCAA Tournament

I am curious to hear what others you all can remember to add.
    78-65

Austin reeves inbound pass...
    Hows my post? send me feedback at 1-800-f$%k-off

Comment

Cazzie Russell's 40-footer

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        Offseason topics are slim, so I will start one based on a Twitter topic I recently saw posed for NFL fans...

If you could change the outcome of one play in Shocker Basketball history, what would it be?

While I don’t have a final answer yet, my early contenders are:
        -Fred’s missed shot against Kentucky
        -Ron passing the ball to Ehimen instead of taking a WIDE OPEN 3 against Louisville
        -The late foul versus VCU in 2011
        -VCU’s 3 after Toure had hit a 3 to take the lead in the 2012 NCAA Tournament

I am curious to hear what others you all can remember to add.
        Has to be the Baker 3, right? None of the other ones were in a national semifinal. Fred's shot against UK is second because I thought that team could have beat Michigan and Louisville.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Louisville Hancock hugging Ron and getting a jump ball called.
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• forevershockerfan
            forevershockerfan commented
            Editing a comment
            There were 2 missed calls and I was literally screaming even before this obvious blunder call. The flagrant foul by #44 mugging Baker and even the announcer thought they would call that and instead it was an unbelievable double foul called. Also, Louisville gets another gift on a long inbound pass to Hall and here comes #44 again and knocks Hall back on to his can as he jumped straight up to catch it which allowed them a lay-up. It seems like these long inbound passes under our own basket have seen several repeats of hard contact and our foes stealing the rock too often since then as well.. Hancock did have a banner game and the sub coming off the bench hitting a couple deep corner shots for them did not help our cause either. Armstud and Cle were sitting on bench with 4 fouls late and in such a crucial game I wanted us to roll the dice and play them anywho. To my memory, neither fouled out in that loss. Even though Armstead was not having one of his better games I still wanted him in and not on the bench. However, I never made one thin dime coaching so my opinions are prolly very shallow and debatable at best.
            Last edited by forevershockerfan; June 17, 2018, 07:50 AM.

I'm going Ron's pass to Ehimen. He makes that 3 and we would have been up 15 (I think) and Louisville would have folded.
          You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Totally agree with ShockdaWorld's horrible jump ball call versus Louisville in the Final 4. This actually happened and we got screwed. We can theorize all we want to about Ron making a jump shot he did not take, but it very difficult to judge something that never happened.

This game mattered the most at the time it was played as a win would have gotten directly into the National Championship game. The other games were certainly significant, but would only have advanced us up a notch and not even to the Final 4 level.

Comment

The 1.9 second play in the MVC tournament against Creighton.

Comment

Ralph Miller's decision to start (and end) Dave The Rave's eligibilty in mid-year.

Stretching the definition of a play.

Comment

This goes on a much smaller scale...but how about John Cooper’s broken leg? I’m told that Coop had All-American potential prior to that horrible injury.
                  78-65

Comment

Old School: Bill Bradley's decision to show up and play in the Final Four.
                    Less Old School: Randy Burns not listening to me screaming that there was a FREAKING CREIGHTON DUDE SNEAKING UP BEHIND HIM during the last minute at Omaha that year.
                    Fairly Modern: Ryan Bradley not throwing down a soul-crushing exclamation point dunk in the final seconds of our rout of Seton Hall in 06 and giving a double-pumper to the five Hall fans that remained in the arena.
                    “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                      Less Old School: Randy Burns not listening to me screaming that there was a FREAKING CREIGHTON DUDE SNEAKING UP BEHIND HIM during the last minute at Omaha that year.
                      I remember that one well. I was there too. It was actually at the Valley tourney semis in St. Louis. We had a pretty huge lead up through halftime and Korver and Company started chipping away. Creighton had a two point lead with Burns dribbling the ball up for the final shot when the BJ player rolled up behind him and picked his pocket for a layup. Of course, Burns hits a 3 at the buzzer anyway and we lose by 1.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Wuzee
                        Wuzee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was screaming at my TV, so that explains why I was thinking Omaha. Brutal.

1. Hancocks "molestation" no call.
                      2. Fred's missed 3-pointer against Kentucky
                      3. Cotton intentionally getting fouled to stop his MONSTER DUNK by "Sleepy" towards the end of the game against the bubbles.
                      4. Landry missed 3-pointer against Kentucky
                      5. Ron's missed 2-handed baseline dunk attempt at Utah
                      6. Refs coddling Kemba Walker all game in Hawaii.
                      7. Austin Reeves lack of strength against Houston attempting to catch. Although probably should of been called a foul on the bun.
                      8. Austin Reeves lack of strength against Notre Dame debacle.
                      9. Austin Reeves lack of strength against Marshall.
                      10. Landry Shament not hitting Star Bucks prior to Marshall game.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

I guess the natural follow-up question is if you could change the play of your chocie would you do it? The Shockers are in a pretty good place right now. How would changing your one play perhaps have changed everything that has happened since perhaps for the better or perhaps not. Only The Shadow Knows or maybe Dr. Emmett Brown.

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                          ShockdaWorld commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would absolutely change mine. We win that game, we play Michigan for the Natty, and in my opinion, destroy them. I could die happy with ONE Natty for the Shocker Men’s Basketball team.

I fully believe if you were to give Ron a 3 against Louisville or have Fred's 3 go in against UK, we win the national championship each year. I'll take Fred's 3 because him missing that shot was the biggest gut punch I can remember feeling as a fan. Not losing for almost a year and then losing like that was gross. As a bonus, that shot would go down in NCAA history and be played in tournament highlight videos for eternity.

Comment

Working...
                        X