Shooting the NBA 3 in D1 - Look who's #3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting the NBA 3 in D1 - Look who's #3

Somewhat interesting article on the effectiveness of shooting deep 3's in college ball. The main thing I got out of the article is that if perimeter players have to be guarded 3' or 4' past the 3-point line, it opens up a lot of space on the court and makes it harder for help defenders to get in position. The dribble drive and drive and dish game is opened up if the threat from 3 extends to 25'.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...211340829.html
    Last edited by Aargh; May 18, 2018, 08:52 AM.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

This isn't about the NBA 3 but a month or so ago, I stated that I didn't watch the NBA because we really know early on, there are few real contenders for the Championship and I predicted that the Warriors would win. I was told that while the person would not bet against the Warriors, they thought that there was much more drama on who would win the Championship than my predictions.

Well, it is down to the same two that we had last year, and I predict again that the Warriors will defeat the Cavaliers.

Just saying.

Comment

• Downtown Shocker Brown
      Downtown Shocker Brown commented
      Editing a comment
      In all fairness, both series went to Game 7. That has to qualify as some drama, right?

• ShockCrazy
      ShockCrazy commented
      Editing a comment
      Not only 7, but if CP3 doesn't go down, I think the Rockets win that series.

• Shockm
      Shockm commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess there was drama. I didn’t watch and I was still right so no drama for me. In all fairness, I watched Fred several times and no drama but I do like Fred.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    I was told that while the person would not bet against the Warriors, they thought that there was much more drama on who would win the Championship than my predictions.

Well, it is down to the same two that we had last year, and I predict again that the Warriors will defeat the Cavaliers.
    It was the first time since 1979 that both conference finals went to a game 7. A ton of parity in the east and a second juggernaut in the Rockets meant an exciting playoffs so far.

It sounds like that person was exactly right. What a strange post to come back and brag with. Whoever told you the Warriors were going to win but there was going to be more drama is the one who should come back and brag.

Oh wait... I'm the one who said it:
    Originally posted by jdshock View Post

At even odds, I certainly wouldn't put money on anybody but the Warriors just because they've proven they can win in the playoffs. That said, they're 6.5 games back from the Rockets and Curry is currently hurt. This Rockets team is really, really good. And barring a collapse in the playoffs (which is always a possibility with Harden and Chris Paul), the WCF should be a pretty fun series to watch.

Personally, I'm rooting for the Spurs to drop to the 7 seed and have Kawhi come back. And OKC to take the 3 seed (almost certainly not going to happen). If the Warriors had to go through the Spurs with Kawhi, OKC, and the Rockets to get the finals, I could definitely see them losing one of those series.
    I said the Warriors had the best chance at winning and that the WCF was going to be a fun series to watch "barring a collapse in the playoffs ... which is always a possibility with Harden and Chris Paul." And... Chris Paul was injured and Harden and co. missed 27 straight 3 pointers last night.
    Last edited by jdshock; May 29, 2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I didn’t even remember who said it and wasn’t going to look back. I like Fred and Aron and hope WSU continues to contribute to the NBA. I wasn’t trying to brag but thought it amusing that I was correct and never pay attention except in passing (radio or television) when listening to other programming.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

It was the first time since 1979 that both conference finals went to a game 7. A ton of parity in the east and a second juggernaut in the Rockets meant an exciting playoffs so far.

It sounds like that person was exactly right. What a strange post to come back and brag with. Whoever told you the Warriors were going to win but there was going to be more drama is the one who should come back and brag.

Oh wait... I'm the one who said it:

I said the Warriors had the best chance at winning and that the WCF was going to be a fun series to watch "barring a collapse in the playoffs ... which is always a possibility with Harden and Chris Paul." And... Chris Paul was injured and Harden and co. missed 27 straight 3 pointers last night.
        I guess the Western Conference final between GS and Houston was the true final. I think that said that the Rockets and Warriors were the best teams and you were right. Cleveland wasn’t even in the same ball park with GS. Now, for you experts, where will Lebron end up? Too many stars at GS. Maybe LA? If so, the West will just continue their domination. Or is there another Eastern team, I’m not thinking of? I will admit, I dint pay attention to the NBA.

Comment

• Dan
          Dan commented
          Editing a comment
          Houston or Boston seems to be the 2 places mentioned the most

• ShockingButTrue
          ShockingButTrue commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree with the Western finalists being the 2 best teams now.

But if Boston had Kyrie and Gordon, I'd say they would certainly have been the best in the East, and will be next year. Stevens is just too good of a coach.

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I guess the Western Conference final between GS and Houston was the true final. I think that said that the Rockets and Warriors were the best teams and you were right. Cleveland wasn’t even in the same ball park with GS. Now, for you experts, where will Lebron end up? Too many stars at GS. Maybe LA? If so, the West will just continue their domination. Or is there another Eastern team, I’m not thinking of? I will admit, I dint pay attention to the NBA.
        I think the options that make the most sense are, in no particular order:

1. Stay put - Cleveland loves him
        2. Houston - Chris Paul is one of his closest friends, and they'd be the immediate favorite
        3. LA (Lakers, or to a lesser extent Clippers) - He has two houses out there and seems to want to get into movies more
        4. Philly - He could mentor the next generation in Simmons and Embiid
        5. Celtics - The Celtics could pretty easily trade LeBron for Hayward, but it'd annoy Kyrie to no end. They'd probably also be the immediate favorite to win with LeBron, but I don't know how they ake it work.

I think staying put and LA are the two most likely, then Houston, then Philly, then Boston. Everything else would be a surprise, but I'd still love to see him with the Pelicans or Bucks or something.

Comment

• ShockTalk
          ShockTalk commented
          Editing a comment
          3. Yeah, I've seen his Sprite commercial.

What Houston would have to do in order to sign Chris Paul and Lebron makes him going to Houston very tricky. Shipping Aaron Gordon off for nothing and gettinggett of Capella. I think Houston is a bad spot for him to land
        Last edited by ArtVandalay; June 9, 2018, 07:25 PM.

Comment

New york
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

going back to the late 70's, shamet is the best shooter i've seen at wichita state. that guy was money. maybe he will get picked in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by another shocker View Post
              going back to the late 70's, shamet is the best shooter i've seen at wichita state. that guy was money. maybe he will get picked in the first round.
              But, I thought it was Conner! :friendly_wink:

It always seemed to me that Landry's shot was a bit flat, but he was very accurate and quick release. I thought the same about Aubrey Sherrod (didn't have 3-pt line, but shot 49.3% overall compared to Landry's 48%), but that may be fading memory. Cundiff and Guffrovich were pretty salty in their day.

Going to miss Landry a lot. Hope he signs with the very best option for him and spends his dough wisely -- a contribution back to WSU would be nice.

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
              ---------------------------------------
              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I would put Joe Ragland's senior season up there as well, when he shot 50% from 3.

Comment

Senoirs Ben Smith, Aaron Ellis, Clevin, freshman Toure, ron baker, Jr Ogirri.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Aaron Ellis?

• shock
                    shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I know this is in a thread about threes but someone brought up Sherrod and if we are talking about pure shooters, ellis was $$$ from 15 feet with that long beautiful stroke

• shock
                    shock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    50.3% FG

Anyone remember Aaron Hogg?

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                    ShockingButTrue commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I actually pinned my hopes on C. Elstun many years ago... Ah, the dark days.
                Working...
                X