New Assistant Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    Comments from Waterman after our 2014 season.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebask...e-marshall-way
    Thanks! Love the last quote,
    “He’s not going to be content until he gets a national championship with Wichita State.”
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
    Comments from Waterman after our 2014 season.

Editor’s note: During the next five weeks, we will reveal the top 50 coaches in college basketball, as decided by our ESPN Forecast panel. Today we unveil No.

Marshall Law. I kind of like that. One thing about bringing Waterman in as an assistant, if that hapens, is that he proably already has a good hanlde on 3G;s system and Play Angry/Marshall Law.

Comment

We all know how hard Marshall is on his players. If he respects one of them enough to put him on his staff, then I say good hire. And a former Marshall PG? That gives us our Xs and Os guy.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Trying to be as polically correct as possible, I like the ethnical diversification of this hire. This guy can potentially relate to some of our players, especially being an unheralded recruit who went on to make a name of himself.

Comment

This is a great article on Coach Marshall's 1st year at Winthrop. Tyson Waterman was a Jr. point guard on that team.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.ce5804028895

Winthrop men's basketball coach Gregg Marshall slowly ascended a ladder Saturday at Asheville (N.C.) Civic Center. Minutes earlier, the Eagles won the Big South Conference tournament and their first NCAA tournament bid. Now, scissors in hand, the 36-year-old coach was getting ready to cut down a net, when halfway up the ladder he bumped his head on the rim.

"I had no idea what I was doing," Marshall said.

Comment

Fun Fact: Tyson Waterman was also spring signee Dexter Dennis’ prep school coach at Believe

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTop View Post
              Fun Fact: Tyson Waterman was also spring signee Dexter Dennis’ prep school coach at Believe
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

It's Official. It's Tyson Waterman. Welcome aboard Coach Waterman.

http://goshockers.com/news/2018/5/27...ing-staff.aspx

"Tyson was my first star player at Winthrop. He is a tremendous competitor who led us to two NCAA Tournaments in his final two years of eligibility. As a coach, Tyson is very loyal and hard-working. He's a tremendous relationship builder, which will make him a valuable recruiter, and his in-depth understanding of the point guard position and knowledge of our system will make him an asset for our perimeter players."

Comment

Welcome Coach Waterman! We look forward to your teaching our perimeter players, most of whom are very young and will need all your wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeShox View Post
                    Welcome Coach Waterman! We look forward to your teaching our perimeter players, most of whom are very young and will need all your wisdom.
                    I look forward to him relating the importance of "Play Angry" and playing time to the newcomers. Gregg Marshall employed the Play Angry philosophy long before Antoine Carr gave it a name. Mr. Waterman will undoubtedly thoroughly enjoy standing with the coaching staff while the principles are being drilled in - this time opting to preach what he has already practiced.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Actually they had a name for it at Winthrop as well.

I think we just upgraded.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                      Stickboy46 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed. I don't think our recruiting relationship at sunrise is hurt at all. We gained a recruiting relationship with a solid prep school and a coach that not only knows point guard but what Marshall wants from a Pg

• wusphlash
                      wusphlash commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whether it's an upgrade remains to be seen. In any case, I am very optimistic about HCGM's choice.

I'm not worried until Gregg retires

Comment

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol Jans is never turning us down.

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In 5 years I suspect Jans will be coaching at a power school, and I suspect he will be successful. Why would he quit said power school and come to Wichita State where he has to work twice as hard at recruiting? Jans doesn't have the charisma of a Gregg Marshall. Spanning the huge bridge of conference perception would be a tougher task for him.

T

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                      Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You bet your ass he'd quit a middling P5 school and come to WSU

Why the hard on for Jans? The Wichita State job is a lot more appealing since Gregg arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                      Why the hard on for Jans? The Wichita State job is a lot more appealing since Gregg arrived.
                      Because by the time 3.5G retires, Jans will have landed a very good job. Jans is legit.

T

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
                        The year Jans was at Bowling Green and this last season, our overall game plan and in game adjustments seemed noticably less effective. That was always seen as Jans' strength. He has done well in both seasons as head coach.

Comment

• Shockm
                          Shockm commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The talent pool at both NMSU and BG was very good. He didn’t walk into building projects. During the BG year we did beat Vandy and Arizona who was a very high seed in the NCAA. Jan’s is a very good coach but I like Forbes equally and neither of them are slam dunks sought out by the highest of programs. However, I would like either of them to be our head coach if Gregg left.

• WSUwatcher
                          WSUwatcher commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Grammar police question for you, Shockm: if it's "Jan's," why isn't it also "Forbe's?"

Just wondering...

• Shockm
                          Shockm commented
                          Editing a comment
                          My skool techer didn’t understand why I cudnt spell Jan’s ether. U wud hav liked her.
                      Working...
                      X