No announcement yet.

WSU v KSU - so close, yet so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K-State just doesn't do it for me anymore. I want to play somebody with more cache and name rec.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by B&Gpassion View Post
      I’ll give you that “beggars” is not how our efforts to schedule this game should be characterized, and I’m more than aware how this issue has been met in Manhattan. ALL the reasons this game hasn’t happened stink. IMO there’s no reasonable excuse for this game to not happen. Yeah the table is temporarily turned in Weber’s favor, that’s obvious. And yeah, he’s been the obstructionist, also obvious. As a WSU alum and Shocker Dad who follows our team all over the country, I want this game to happen and it should every year. Screw all the stupid reasons it doesn’t, play the game.
      Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
      I agree that K-State is trying to take advantage of the WSU overhaul; that seems obvious. But in my view, if WSU could start the series this year in Wichita and play the games at CKA and Bramlage, they should do it. And having done it, should then proceed to beat them, which I think could very well happen -- it MIGHT (or might not; CKA is a big home court edge) be a betting upset; but it would come as no particular surprise for WSU to win, at least to me.

How delicious would that be -- the Kitties coming off a trip to the regional final, the Shocks with 10 new faces, and WSU coming out on top? That outcome would be worth more than the price of admission, and I think it could very well happen. 3G knows his guys and recruits better than I do, obviously, but I think he may be missing a good opportunity here -- IF (and it's a big if, I admit) they really could start with a game at Koch Arena.
      My understanding is that we said NO to starting the series this year at Manhattan.

My interpretation of what Weber said about starting the series in Wichita, this year, is that it didn't work out.....(for them).

Comment

• Slykryck
        Slykryck commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s how I took it

• AndShock
        AndShock commented
        Editing a comment
        Or “it didn’t work” for us to start the series in Manhattan. Weber and the KSU columnist are playing the spin game.

• WSUwatcher
        WSUwatcher commented
        Editing a comment
        You may be right about Weber, ST, and if so I agree. I also agree with Top about wanting a long-term deal if there's going to be one. Marshall knows what happened better than I do, and I certainly do trust him -- but I really would like to see the game played, because I think it would be great for basketball in Kansas, and I'd especially love to see WSU sneak up on the Kitties and whip them in a year when they're figuring on an easy win against the Shocks' "transitional" roster. I just don't think the Kitties are all that, as they apparently think they are, based on a fluke trip to the regional final.
        Last edited by WSUwatcher; April 29, 2018, 09:22 AM.

As I have said before unless a 4 and preferably longer contract is on th table WSU should absolutely tell KSU to go fly a kite. If KSU isn’t willing to sign a multi year deal then this is the same tired game they and KU have played for years- wait tell they think WSU can be beaten by them, suddenly want to play then boast how they are so superior to little brother.

Thankfully WSU is apparently not going to play that game any longer!

Comment

• Slykryck
        Slykryck commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. But Even with a multi-year contract, if they back out after one year at their place and pay cancellation fees, it just becomes a buy game. Start it a CKA, or kick rocks.
        Last edited by Slykryck; April 28, 2018, 06:54 PM.

I could not care less about k state. When they scheduled games in Wichita and didn’t even consider Wichita State as the opponent, they were wiped clean from my wants as an opponent. The only reason they will play us now is because of the large roster turnover.
      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

When Wichita University was pushing to join the Board of Regents, K-State pretty much sided with KU at every turn. They stood to benefit by turning us into an "attendance center" too.

Therefore, they can go **** themselves. Weber was the beneficiary of the first-ever #1 seed losing in the first round. Considering he buried both SIU and Illinois, last season was literally the case of the stopped clock being right twice a day.

Comment

I couldn’t care less about playing K-State. No shits given whatsoever.

When the next major realignment shift occurs here in a few years, and the market tells the KSU’s, ISU’s, and TTU’s of the world where they really belong, I will welcome them with open arms to the AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by B&Gpassion View Post
          After months of hoping rumors were true, this game has been (unbelievably) postponed by our side. As a fan it’s maddening. There will always be ups & downs on both sides but that should never stop this game. We’re offered a Koch/Bramlage deal and turn it down. Wow. Beggars have become choosers.
          Where have you been for the past decade?

You may not have meant for it to, but your "beggars have become choosers" comment says a lot about you.

Comment

• B&Gpassion
            B&Gpassion commented
            Editing a comment
            I clearly stated earlier in this thread that "beggars" was a bad characterization of our efforts the past few years. While not begging, our side clearly has been the one with open arms. To your question, nearly 4 decades ago I was a WSU student and track athlete. For the last 3 decades I've been a Shocker/SASO booster spending ALLOT of time in my Levitt-->Koch and Eck seats, along with several years in St. Louis. Last year I saw us play in Fort Collins and OKC, this year in Stillwater and Dallas. I've relished every single game with KU and KSU since the early 1970's including football thru '86. There were all kinds of rumors during this season that KSU was expressing interest in getting games going with us, not just after Landry and Reaves announced. I started this thread about 2 microseconds after I read Robinett's piece in the Eagle and I was fired up over it being on the table and yet again, it's not happening. So yeah, I've been around, for a long damn time, and it's damn time these Kansas teams played. Everyone needs to get over themselves and play the games that would be calendar highlights every year. Where have you been? Like I care.

KSU wanted us to play in Bramlage this year so they would at least have 1 non conference home game that their shitty fans might actually show up for....

Eff them.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

This is such an obvious, "We will play you the minute we think we have a chance to beat you ploy" that the stench cloud engulfing Manhattan must be totally overpowering.

Comment

I don't like the spin the article puts on it. Honestly, with a number of dates already filled on our schedule, it literally could be a "didn't work out" situation. Nothing more.
              You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                I don't like the spin the article puts on it. Honestly, with a number of dates already filled on our schedule, it literally could be a "didn't work out" situation. Nothing more.
                It was definitely an article written by a K State beat writer. Robinett and Taylor should have worked on it together. This article spin works in The Kansas City Star but not in the Wichita Eagle.

Comment

• tayloreldridge
                  tayloreldridge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I asked Marshall and Boatright for comment and they both declined with the WSU media relations person saying that they didn't feel the need to say anything because the article accurately reflected WSU's views.

• Aargh
                  Aargh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's pretty much taking the high road. When Weber wouldn't play WSU, there was very little media coverage. When it looks like Marshall refused the game, there's an entire article (prominently featured) pointing out that the series isn't starting. Weber got the media coverage he wanted (big splash). When Weber refused the series Marshall got the media coverage he wanted (typically a 2-line mention in a WSU Notes section of an article).

When Weber goes crying to the press complaining about Marshall, Marshall politely refused to get into the mud with him.

• AndShock
                  AndShock commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does Marshall ever take the high road? Say we tried to get the Kitties to come to Koch and they refused. No comment paints an incorrect picture for those who aren’t paying attention.

Are OU and Baylor contracted for their series with us? This just seems strange or kind of funny, we got 2 Big 12 teams signed up and turned down Kstate? lol. If anything maybe Weber's phone call was made a little late in Marshall's mind.

Comment

• Shockm
                  Shockm commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yes. Last year Baylor signed a 2 year contract H/H designed for CKA. OU had played us at Chesapeake Arena with the idea that we would return it at IBA. Thus completed, about a month ago, we signed another 2 year contract with the same terms. Our IBA game isn't finalized yet for this year but we may be looking for terms like OU's terms. An Off Campus Arena with a return Off Campus Arena.

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those 2 teams and OSU were willing to play WSU at their strongest .. KSU .. not so much.

KC 610 AM had a good time this morning picking this up and calling GM a chickenshite. Spun it into more of a ku slant that while GM is always crying that ku is too afraid to schedule the game he's running from the kitties.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                  KC 610 AM had a good time this morning picking this up and calling GM a chickenshite. Spun it into more of a ku slant that while GM is always crying that ku is too afraid to schedule the game he's running from the kitties.
                  Did they fail to mention the years and year WSU tried to make a series with K-STATE, only to have K-STATE try to come to the table during on of the biggest roster turnovers in history??

I'm sure Marshall would be happy to say "If KU says "yes" to us, we'll say "yes" to K-STATE.

Also, did they fail to see the teams aready on WSU's schedule? OU, Baylor, Providence, (hopefully OSU again) ain't no slouches.

The elitist mindset of these radio personalities in KC is beyond annoying and quite frankly make NYC personalities seem humble.
                  Last edited by Shock Top; April 30, 2018, 05:43 PM.
                  The Assman

Comment

We need K-Suck on our schedule like we need Alabama Tech. I mean yeah, cool, whatever...

This program is well beyond the scheduling woes of yesteryear.

That being said...

If I'm Gregg Marshall, I immediately offer a 6-year home and home series beginning this year (at our place) or next year (at their place). I express courier that contract to Manure headquarters as well as the local media's press desk. Then I sit back and wait for that oh-so-familiar sound of the Manhattan prairie cricket signally the resumption of the status quo.

Cinderella's gonna Cinderella.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Working...
                    X