Major Changes Proposed For Basketball By 2018-19 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sam Axe View Post
    Nothing in these proposals will "fix" what is wrong in college basketball. Overall, a pretty unimaginative group of suggestions. This report took the committee 7 months (and who knows how much money) to come up with. I'm stealing Jeff *******'s line, someone could have written this down on a napkin at lunch.

postscript - I'm really tired of hearing about the 1 and done as if the NCAA has anything to do with it. That's the NBA and the NBA players union.
    I agree with the lack of imagination of the committee, but all you have to do is look at the person heading it. I do like making freshmen ineligible as a means of forcing the NBA's hands. No worries about next year, it would be instituted after a period of years just like they did the academic requirements many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

I agree with the lack of imagination of the committee, but all you have to do is look at the person heading it. I do like making freshmen ineligible as a means of forcing the NBA's hands. No worries about next year, it would be instituted after a period of years just like they did the academic requirements many years ago.
      Besides being very intelligent, and a very respected Black conservative woman, even among her liberal piers, she has been very successful at virtually everything she has done. So, now just what is your hang-up with Ms Condoleezza Rice.

Comment

I do like making freshmen ineligible as a means of forcing the NBA's hands.
        Good thing nobody is listening to you.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post

Besides being very intelligent, and a very respected Black conservative woman, even among her liberal piers, she has been very successful at virtually everything she has done. So, now just what is your hang-up with Ms Condoleezza Rice.
          Probably best if we don't get into politics. Her color has what to do with anything? Besides the fact she was largely responsible for allowing 19 guys to fly airplanes into our buildings, she's great. Not sure what any of those qualifications have to do with sports.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Good thing nobody is listening to you.
            But the intelligent, black, conservative woman, is the one who suggested it, not me.

Comment

But the intelligent, black, conservative woman, is the one who suggested it, not me.
              But u trashed her, and then agreed with her.

Comment

Probably best if we don't get into politics. Her color has what to do with anything? Besides the fact she was largely responsible for allowing 19 guys to fly airplanes into our buildings, she's great. Not sure what any of those qualifications have to do with sports.
                You were right in your first sentence in stating that it was “best if we don’t get into politics”. But then, you jumped full on into it with your garbage. Get it out of here. Totally uncalled for.

Comment

I don’t know very much about the ins and outs of the committee. However, as I read the findings of the esteemed committee chair is the committee is telling the NBA and Players Assoc. to step up and be a part of the solution instead of an impediment to the NCAA. One and donee are not good for college and amateur basketball. College basketball is for those who want to go (or will go) to school to better their lives The NBA is for those who are talented enough already to make lots of money playing basketball and are impatient to get there.

Comment

Some of these changes make sense, but it's still not going to be enough. Like Rocky Mountain Shock said, they need to allow players to make money from their name and likeness. And that doesn't have to mean colleges paying them. It can be as simple as letting a college athlete make money on their own YouTube account showing them doing trick shots. That actually happened. The NCAA ruled a player ineligible because he made some trick shot videos on YouTube that went viral and he made money off them.

The other thing they need to do is oust the commissioner, Mark Emmert. The NCAA needs a FIFA-level house cleaning for me to believe they will ever actually do anything about this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

But u trashed her, and then agreed with her.
                      Or maybe she agreed with me? As others have said, much of what this committee did was "unimaginative". They came up with one way to force the NBA to do away with one and done. For that I congratulate them.

Comment

Originally posted by Singeril View Post

You were right in your first sentence in stating that it was “best if we don’t get into politics”. But then, you jumped full on into it with your garbage. Get it out of here. Totally uncalled for.
                        Did I bring up her political persuasions?

Comment

Steeleshocker
                          #12.1
                          Steeleshocker commented
                          29 minutes ago
                          "To your own point, all scholarships have the same value, they are a free college education. Adjust the recruiting periods and this largely goes away. It would practically work out the way Landry declared, which was early enough to let us recruit his replacement.
                          If we are doing what is best for the student athlete, we set up the rules such that a kid who gets some bad advice does not make a irreparable decision and leave school before he is ready (Or gets an education), as opposed to protecting the school from a player who suddenly discovers the NBA wants him right now."

No, baseball players among other sports are getting partial scholarships. Basketball and football players are getting full rides. Thus the difference in rules between the sports.
                          Last edited by Shocker_Power; April 26, 2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                            Some of these changes make sense, but it's still not going to be enough. Like Rocky Mountain Shock said, they need to allow players to make money from their name and likeness. And that doesn't have to mean colleges paying them. It can be as simple as letting a college athlete make money on their own YouTube account showing them doing trick shots. That actually happened. The NCAA ruled a player ineligible because he made some trick shot videos on YouTube that went viral and he made money off them.s.
                            I don’t have a problem with these ideas but making money off of their likenesses won’t solve any major problems. It may be fair but that’s it. The big corruption is because of the Top 30 l-50 or do the players who think they’re ready for the NBA already and could care less about going to school AND the shoe companies. Maybe the player agents too. Those three issues have the be addressed.

Landry for example had made up his mind he was ready and school was an after thought. I played college baseball with a guy who didn’t like school. As soon as he had the skinny that he was going into the winter baseball draft (at that time), he slept all day and nev r attended another class again.

Comment

I think allowing players to make money on the side, through their own efforts without the school's involvement (like the trick shot video), would be a good compromise with those who want the schools to pay the players or provide stipends. If the schools start providing money to athletes, the current college athletics arms race would go full nuclear, and non-P5 schools would have no chance to compete.

I do agree that the root cause of the corruption is the one and done system. Getting rid of that will fix most of the problem, but there'd still be opportunity and incentive for over zealous "entrepreneurs" to take advantage of the best college players. So let's not just fix just part of the problem, let's do it right the first time and fix it all.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                                I think allowing players to make money on the side, through their own efforts without the school's involvement (like the trick shot video), would be a good compromise with those who want the schools to pay the players or provide stipends. If the schools start providing money to athletes, the current college athletics arms race would go full nuclear, and non-P5 schools would have no chance to compete.

I do agree that the root cause of the corruption is the one and done system. Getting rid of that will fix most of the problem, but there'd still be opportunity and incentive for over zealous "entrepreneurs" to take advantage of the best college players. So let's not just fix just part of the problem, let's do it right the first time and fix it all.
                                No matter where the line is drawn, those remaining after the few one-and-dones will still be cherished by the schools and shoe companies, maybe to a lesser extent, but still in demand. The problem of payments to families will not be solved, perhaps reduced for a while, but not resolved.
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X