Major Changes Proposed For Basketball By 2018-19 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major Changes Proposed For Basketball By 2018-19 Season

The info available now is lacking a lot of detail, but...

Eliminate 1 and done
    Lifetime ban for cheating coaches
    More severe penalties for schools that cheat
    Eliminate the apparel company, AAU money
    Certify pro agents
    Allow undrafted players back into college
    Allow drafted players to remain in college if they don't sign contracts

All that is being proposed for the 2018-19 academic year.

(Open link in new private window if you are at your free read limit)

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Most are good recommendations. I don't know how they would let drafted players back into college without severely disrupting the current recruiting and signing periods. They would have to completely change those rules. And it's interesting they didn't address the possibility of players earning compensation from their name and image.
    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Change the recruiting and signing periods
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

If you get drafted your amateur status is done... IMO

Comment

Originally posted by choida View Post
          If you get drafted your amateur status is done... IMO
          Why? It doesn’t happen in college baseball. Why should basketball be treated differently?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Why? It doesn’t happen in college baseball. Why should basketball be treated differently?
            It's easier to work around one player unexpectedly coming back in baseball if they don't sign a contract. In basketball, you likely would have already filled that scholarship.

Comment

Being drafted shouldn't affect your amateur status at all. You haven't been paid to do anything related to the sport.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

OK, but don't forgive the transgressions that have already occured

Comment

Ok hiring an agent should do it

Comment

Somewhat related, the NBA is wanting to eliminate the one-and-done rule by 2020:

If the rules stay as they are and become more stringently enforced, I would see an immediate uptick in the amount of kids who play in Europe for a year before coming back to the NBA.
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                      It's easier to work around one player unexpectedly coming back in baseball if they don't sign a contract. In basketball, you likely would have already filled that scholarship.
                      i disagree based on two point.

1. NCAA/schools will adjust their recruiting periods based on the rules. So the percieved problem will be minimize at the very least (and how many schools would even be affected).

2. This should not be a question of what is best for the school, but what is best for the student athlete. It not right to restrict student athletes differently based on sport.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

2. This should not be a question of what is best for the school, but what is best for the student athlete. It not right to restrict student athletes differently based on sport.
                        I'm not in the pay for play camp so I'm not going to feel sorry for an athlete getting a free education. As to all sports being equal, not all scholarships are equal between different sports. Thus the reason not all the rules need to be equal.

Comment

• Steeleshocker
                          Steeleshocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          To your own point, all scholarships have the same value, they are a free college education. Adjust the recruiting periods and this largely goes away. It would practically work out the way Landry declared, which was early enough to let us recruit his replacement.

If we are doing what is best for the student athlete, we set up the rules such that a kid who gets some bad advice does not make a irreparable decision and leave school before he is ready (Or gets an education), as opposed to protecting the school from a player who suddenly discovers the NBA wants him right now.

• ShockerEngr
                          ShockerEngr commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Baseball allows partial scholarships and most players aren't on a full scholarship, so it's not the same or free for most of them.

I was hoping this was going to be about expanding the 3-point line and moving to the 4-quarters system. (Like they’ve been testing in the NIT)

Though, some of these rules, if implemented correctly, I could be on board with.
                        The Assman

Comment

If the NBA doesn’t cooperate, Rice said her group will look at measures the NCAA can control, such as making freshmen ineligible.
                          Just think if that happened for next year. We'd be playing walk-ons just to have enough substitutes during the game.
                          Last edited by 1979Shocker; April 25, 2018, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Nothing in these proposals will "fix" what is wrong in college basketball. Overall, a pretty unimaginative group of suggestions. This report took the committee 7 months (and who knows how much money) to come up with. I'm stealing Jeff *******'s line, someone could have written this down on a napkin at lunch.

postscript - I'm really tired of hearing about the 1 and done as if the NCAA has anything to do with it. That's the NBA and the NBA players union.

Comment

Working...
                            X