Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by choida View Post
    We lost a great player... We are not used to losing great players... It will not be the first or last time we lose great players... It happens.. Part of the game
    According to Gregg, it was the first player on his watch who wanted to transfer, who wasn’t told he needed to change or leave. Gregg wanted him to stay. It may not be the last.

Comment

• Not to change the subject, but to change the subject..

What advantages do we lose to OU with regards to strategies and schemes by having a player transfer to their program? Will they attempt to download AR's knowledge of our systems into their playbook? Would it be likely that 3G changes things specifically for the OU games or does he normally switch everything up year over year?

T

...:cool:

Comment

• WuDrWu
        WuDrWu commented
        Editing a comment
        Gregg's system is fairly complex and the fact that he (mostly) does not call or signal plays (they are committed to memory during timeouts and prior to the game) and the additional fact that large numbers of plays start from the same setting makes knowledge of the system somewhat moot. Any advantage gained would be small at best and little more than one could learn through video review.

Plus Lon Kruger is a heck of a coach and can figure things out for himself that will be fruitful for his team.

There's no reason to "switch" things up. New wrinkles are added, others go away. Sacramento will remain the same. Winthrop 46 will remain the same. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

So to answer your question, almost none. I doubt they spend much if any time on it and nothing more than they usually change game to game.

That is all.

D

And one last time from this fan, I hope Austin finds wild success wherever life takes him, and this fan will enjoy following his career. Good luck young man, you will very much be missed.

• I think just like last year... Gregg coaches based on his personal... assistant coaches... Teams he faces... Basically lots of variables

Comment

• I wonder if Gregg won't simply things at first for this very inexperienced group of player and graduallyadd to it as they catch on..

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          I wonder if Gregg won't simply things at first for this very inexperienced group of player and graduallyadd to it as they catch on..
          My personal theory on recruiting "at your level" goes like this:
          1. The best and brightest athletes go to the top schools.
          2. The best, yet not brightest athletes go to lesser schools in the same conference.
          3. The brightest but not the best athletes go to lesser schools in the same conference and lower.
          4. All the rest go wherever they can land.
          A guy like Gregg Marshall can obviously bend those rules somewhat, but it's clear that many of the athletes we've recruited (who will go unnamed) were not Rhodes Scholars.

Now that we are in the AAC, we are going to not only have an upgrade in athletic talent, but in brains as well. This should have a multiplier effect on a coach who employs complicated systems.

TRANSLATED: You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet baby!

It's a great day to be a Shocker!

T

Comment

• I didn't mention intelligence, I mentioned experience. If we have upgraded the level of talent and athleticism you might be able to let these guys play in a little less structured system and give them more freedom to make plays. Simplifying things for a young team is very common even for young teams with great talent. You don't need this group suffering from paralysis by analysis.

Comment

• I haven't really said much on this topic to this point, but here are my basic thoughts (for what it is worth):

1. There is no justification for disparaging Austin over his transfer. He handled himself appropriately as a member of this team and handled the transfer with class. Even if it came as a surprise in general that he was transferring, he gave the coaches early warning of his intentions and didn't throw anyone under the bus in his comments about leaving. He handled the situation exactly as he should have, even if that leaves us without definitive knowledge of his motives. In fact, to be more forthcoming about why he was transferring would likely directly trade off with leaving in a graceful manner.

2. As surprising as a major contributor leaving is, it doesn't necessarily reflect either a major flaw in the program or in the the player. We have heard that both Ron Baker and Carl Hall seriously considered leaving the program based on how grueling it is to play for Marshall. I don't think any of us questions the toughness of those two, so that should serve as the the metric for how demanding it is to be in this program. I'm not saying that is why Austin left (I don't know), but it is not hard for me to see why any player might decide that this program is not for them, even if they are successful and tough. We all have competing priorities and I don't begrudge either coach or player for differences in approach, temperament, expectations, etc. so long as they handle it in a reasonable fashion, and waiting until the end of a season to evaluate and leave is the appropriate time to make those choices.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Man this thread just won’t die.

Comment

• Heard today that a big part of Linstead leaving was "what happened to Austin." I guess they are very close. Supposedly Kyle is "heartbroken" about leaving himself. 1 I have no idea what happened, 2 I have been to several practices in the HCGM era and he can be a total a-hole (but he's our a-hole), 3 as noted above Austin is doing what's best for him and has left with class. We should wish him well.

Comment

• Shockm
                    Shockm commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don’t buy that a coach would leave because a player (who wasn’t asked to leave) transferred. He doubled his salary makes more sense.

• IndianaShocker
                    IndianaShocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    KL's words?? I'm calling BS. You are either making this up or your source is the equivalent of Norm from Cheers. If this really is the case, KL is a moron (which I believe not to be the case) who should never been hired. Connections are everything in this business and you don't throw shade on a guy like Marshall if you want to advance your career. It's called burning bridges.

SOURCE OR YOU ARE MAKING THIS UP

• shocker43
                    shocker43 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, I'm on the "this is fake" train. Dude doubled his salary.

• We should rename this thread to be The Ghost of Austin Reeves. Lol

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      I didn't mention intelligence, I mentioned experience. If we have upgraded the level of talent and athleticism you might be able to let these guys play in a little less structured system and give them more freedom to make plays. Simplifying things for a young team is very common even for young teams with great talent. You don't need this group suffering from paralysis by analysis.
                      And I was speaking to improved intelligence perhaps playing a factor in whether or not HCGM has to simplify his system.

We've had players in the past who still looked "lost on the floor" three quarters of the way through their freshman season. This is an IQ problem, not experience. Yes, experience can equalize intelligence differentials given enough time, but in DI bball, time is scarce.

Remember when we played Stanford at our place in the NIT? They made us look like hillbillies. It was like we were playing in the Matrix and their entire team was Neo. They played with a BBIQ that was at a different level. They weren't the best athletes, but they were some of the brightest players in the country and they had good size. An entire team of Luke Hancock's...

Back to your point... I think we have some bright(er) players coming to Wichita. I think they're gonna do their homework and I think they are going to surprise people with their poise and decision-making abilities a lot earlier than we've seen in the past.

T

Comment

• IndianaShocker
                        IndianaShocker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Do neck tatoos correspond positely to IQ?

I hope you're right. Any facts to substantiate?

Don't get me wrong - as a fan I'm far more interested in the athletic part of our student athletes. Just saying, when I look at photos of our players I think more Louisville than Ivy League, Notre Dame, or dare I say it....Butler.

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Look, he left. He has/had his reasons. I wish him well; I wish the Shockers more victories! The only reason I think this gets the attention it does is because it comes within a timeframe where several players left; some not surprisingly, but his was unexpected. I don't need to know his reason(s), but I'd like to know that this exodus wasn't because of a program problem. I am still not sure on this from the "Bull Durham" type statements released to date.

Comment

• Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                          X