Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The only thing in your post that I take exception to is this statement. While some posters have taken shots at Austin it has not be any means been everyone. There have been numerous posts supportive of Austin and accepting of his decision even though we don't know the reasons behind it. One such post (#344) received far more "Likes" than is typical on Shockernet which would suggest that it is far from ALL the peopple posting on this message board.

Perhaps strarting out with "Some of you people" would have been more accurate. Other than that, it was well said.
    You are right. In my head it was directed at the losers on this board. But my words unfortunately did not make that clear. I apologize if anyone took accepting to my post and have supported Austin or any other players making decisions for themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Singeril View Post

But isn’t saying Austin did “everything right on the floor” going a bit overboard in the other direction...especially when that isn’t exactly true? AR was my favorite Shocker this past season...he showed good potential but certainly had flaws (flaws that I’m sure he’d admit to). Your over the top defense of someone is about as obnoxious as those who are tearing him down.
      Doing everything the right way doesn't mean you are flawless. It means you play your balls off every second and you are a great teammate.

Comment

• This is pretty similar to 10,000 people getting dumped by a girl friend or boy friend and the reason given is "it was time to move on". There will be some among that group who will not deal with that well and will go public with their feelings and opinions.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• lostshocker
          lostshocker commented
          Editing a comment
          i'd be more confused she was dating 9,999 other guys at the same time.

• This one is about to degenerate into “Laurel or Yanny?”

Comment

• RoyalShock
          RoyalShock commented
          Editing a comment
          It's Yarry.

Carry on.

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        So, just to clarify, its ok to make **** up and lie through your teeth when your feelings are hurt about where a college kid decides to play a game?
        This comment, in general, is also an extreme. Yes, there are people on here stating things as "fact" when they cannot prove them as so. In some cases, that's just the way a fan board reads. Also, people leave out "IMO", maybe, possibly, "I think", and so forth, then get grilled for "lying" or making s**t up. I learned early on to try and avoid putting myself in that position. Nevertheless, that does not necessarily take away the importance, even if just perceived importance, of why those statements are made. IT'S A FAN BOARD. And we know what can be normally expected from some people and the reason why everyone who posts are on here. They're not your run of the mill fan.

There is also a reason this thread, maybe unfortunately, is currently on page 20. What's the normal for a leaving player...1, maybe 2? That indicates there is something(s) definitely different and very fan important about it.

1) The Player: I would never accuse AR as lazy, not even for one play. He's gritty, hard working, savvy, basketball intelligent, smart in general, great shooter, likable, shows leadership skills, not afraid to give his body up, fan favorite, and just a damn good player that comes with that "small school" story. His negative was his body, but he didn't let it stop him.

2) The Timing: With a large senior class leaving, another very important player going to the NBA early, some lesser players transferring, the Shockers are in great need for a skilled leader. Who better to look to than AR. Capable of playing 3 positions, he can also help teach all those positions to a good portion of the incoming class. Lots of minutes available and an opportunity, like in high school, to be "the guy". Except in this scenario, he won't have to shoulder all the scoring. He will have skilled athletes around him. Perfect, right? A whole lot of team and fan importance here.

3) The Surprise: Both HCGH and ADDB said this was a complete surprise. I believe Marshall said it was the only time he was surprised by a player leaving.

4) The Background: Throughout the season, there was "something different" about the team from a group who played very well together the year before. Maybe it was the type and level of players we were playing against more. However, we had struggles against several smaller or lesser school teams as well. Maybe it was the loss of both Jans and Heiar. We noticed Marshall have some tense moments on the bench (more than normal anyway). No doubt there was a huge loss of close friends with the number of seniors and the others leaving. However, going to a new team does nothing to help that problem. Maybe he wanted to be closer to home....nope. Maybe it was the level of competition.....nope. I believe Lindsted was the lead on his recruitment. Maybe he knew he was leaving. Maybe it was something else or a combination of all of these. In any account, a whole lot of intrigue to the mix.

Did I really expect to ever really know "why"? No.

Do I have a vested interest? Yes, Both as an ardent fan and money.

Is all this just about AR? No. It is very much about the team, and maybe the coaches.

Is all this discussion really surprising? Hell, no. It shouldn't be to anyone. Not even the "extreme" ends of it as that is always going to happen in situations like this. I'm not condoning it, but it's not surprising.

A choice was made, maybe for the betterment of the program and/or individual(s) involved. We'll never know. However, the fallout should not have been unexpected.

Comment

• Walker
          Walker commented
          Editing a comment
          This is spot on. Overwhelming majority love and appreciate everything Austin gave to the program but it's understandable after losing 6 seniors, losing a great PG recruit, transfermageddon that a fanbase would be a little salty after a fan favorite bolts when he was looked upon for leadership in a crucial time in the program. Not saying it's right necessarily, but it is a fan board. Fan boards, the whole internet is like Lord of the Flies.

• If you are still salty about Austin Reaves...I can sum up your behavior in one word... BUTTHURT

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
          At this point, I think that the only thing that will help us through the grief process and offseason is the Ross sisters and their solid potato salad.

That is an incredible display of contortionism (not dissimilar to the recent comments of the AR apologist...); my only question is this: was the lady in the hayloft who bent down to pick up an apple with her mouth using a wire? If not, I just witnessed a superhuman feat I think.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Walker
            Walker commented
            Editing a comment
            Guilty as charged when it comes to the contortionism to my comments on AR. I find myself going back and forth on it. As for the hayloft apple stunt, I don't think a wire was used, but that's some freaky, superhuman stuff going on there. All of it was. Some wife material for sure. The kinda thing that makes a fella holler out for some buttermilk biscuits. The kind of stuff Prince songs were about.

• The thread title should be modified to reflect all of the awful posters crapping on, denigrating and throwing shade on AR, out of reverence for those brave enough to call them out on an online discussion forum.

Sincerely,

Straw Man

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
            So, just to clarify, its ok to make **** up and lie through your teeth when your feelings are hurt about where a college kid decides to play a game?
            No, that's not okay. And every comment that has been made about Reaves' departure thus far has not been a premeditated lie.

Pinstriper's comment: "Keyser was pushed out. Reaves didn't like that. Too bad. Good luck." - was based on a well-circulated rumor. And believe me, it's one of the more mild ones. As I said much earlier in this thread, we should just leave the issue alone as some of the rumors could be quite hurtful to more people than just AR.

Mr. Reaves can be thought of as a victim to the apologists, but to fans like myself, I will always side with the program. I must, side with the program.

Life isn't always fair, sports fans are harsh, but Shocker Nation will last forever.

Good luck Austin!

T

Comment

• As far as this thread is concerned... I would just

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Pinstriper's comment: "Keyser was pushed out. Reaves didn't like that. Too bad. Good luck." - was based on a well-circulated rumor. And believe me, it's one of the more mild ones. As I said much earlier in this thread, we should just leave the issue alone as some of the rumors could be quite hurtful to more people than just AR.

T

This is true, just leave the issue alone. ARShocker likes to act like he is the authority on this issue but he is spouting half truths, that is if he even knows half what he thinks he does. Anybody that knows the things (that were off the court issues), that led to this, will never talk. As it says above there are too many people that would be hurt if they did.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You know that ARShocker is spouting half truths? If so, then you must know what is true, yes? If not, I believe that ARShocker knows more than you give him credit for.

• Stickboy46
                  Stickboy46 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ARShocker is probably closer to the situation than anyone on here and I'm sure he has actually talked to Austin about the actual reasons. Doesn't mean his take that we should all grow up and not question the unknown reason for leaving is correct though.

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

If someone is speculating without any proof, it's probably made up.
                "Probably" is not definitive. Until the truth actually comes out, anybody's guess is as good as any other...and some of those guesses may be spot on.

Comment

• We lost a great player... We are not used to losing great players... It will not be the first or last time we lose great players... It happens.. Part of the game

Comment

Working...
                  X