No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the way Austin plays and really feel terrible that we will not see him finish his career as a Shocker. If his body allows him to get that upper body stronger (?), he will be an outstanding player for someone else. Excellent charachter, shooter, and shows that grit so many people covet. Best of luck to the young man and his family.

Comment

• There is no doubt he is leaving on his own merit... Maybe he didn't wanna be around for the turn around... Saw all his teammates leave... All I know is this kid is special

Comment

• Holy crap. This legitimately shocked me. I loved Reaves as a player and he was seemingly a high character kid with strong leadership instincts. He was going to be a huge part of the team this year.

I don't know what the backstory here is, but I hope this was just a kid trying to get closer to home, because he should have been starting the next few years. This scares me if it was anything else.
        Originally posted by BleacherReport
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Austin would not be starting the next few years, if by few you mean 3 or more. He only has 2 years of eligibility remaining.

• Rlh04d
          Rlh04d commented
          Editing a comment
          Few just means a small number greater than one. So yeah, two more years. I guess I could have said couple to make that more clear.

• Originally posted by WSU39 View Post
        I would never have thought that reaves would leave the program. Hes had a lot of success playing here. WOW!!!!
        Thinking the same thing. Austin was in line to be a team leader next year. This is going to hurt...he continually put his body on the line for this team, had a high basketball IO, was one of the best liked members of the team, and then transfers.

I'm going to need a drink...

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Thinking the same thing. Austin was in line to be a team leader next year. This is going to hurt...he continually put his body on the line for this team, had a high basketball IO, was one of the best liked members of the team, and then transfers.

I'm going to need a drink...
          I’m already ahead of you...

6d111db0776c277417aa98efc3a271c9.jpg
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Reading on the Ch 12 website makes it sound like there is some question if Austin is going to continue even playing BB. Hopefully that isn't the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
              Reading on the Ch 12 website makes it sound like there is some question if Austin is going to continue even playing BB. Hopefully that isn't the case.
              Not sure what you saw. I did not see much. Only that it was unclear where (not if) he would continue is basketball career. Do you have a link top something else?

Comment

• We averaged 82.8 PPG this past season. With Reaves leaving, we now only return 12.1% of our scoring (10.0 PPG). The majority of those 10 PPG (95%) were from McDuffie and Haynes-Jones.

Comment

• Maybe he didn't like the move to Under Armour.

that's a joke. just trying to lighten things up around here

Comment

• "Former Arkansas prep star Austin Reaves granted release from Wichita State" - Whole Hog Sports

By: Dudley E. Dawson
                    Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018

Austin Reaves is transferring from Wichita State and has sent release letters to several college basketball programs, including Arkansas.

"FAYETTEVILLE — Former Arkansas prep basketball star Austin Reaves is transferring from Wichita State and has sent release letters to several college basketball programs, including Arkansas.

Reaves (6-5, 175 pounds), who played for Cedar Ridge in Newark, has played two seasons for the Shockers.

“We've had players choose to go somewhere else, but Austin was a little bit of a surprise," Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright told the Wichita Eagle newspaper. "The rest of them are not. They're hunting minutes and they want to play now and compete and they don't see that happening.

“I honestly couldn’t explain it,” Reaves said after the game. “It was one of those adrenaline rushes that you get. I’m blessed to play on a team like this…a group of guys that are so close, that love each other like we do, you don’t see it very much.”

Efforts to contact Reaves via phone and text by WholeHogSports on Thursday were unsuccessful. He also declined comment to the Wichita Eagle.

Per NCAA transfer rules, he would have to redshirt next season if he transfers to another Division I program.

Arkansas has one scholarship left to give after a pair of players transferred last month. Motlow State Community College forward Rashawn Fredericks (6-6, 198) is visiting this weekend.

The Razorbacks had interest in Reaves during his senior year of high school when he averaged 32 points, 11 rebounds and 7 assists per game. Schools like Arkansas, Texas, Gonzaga, Iowa State and Florida State picked up their interest in Reaves when he scored 73 points in Cedar Ridge’s 117-115 with over Forrest City, but did not offer him at the time because he lacked an NCAA qualifying test score.

He followed that up with a record-setting 191 points in four games at the NEA Tournament in Jonesboro, including 56 in a triple-overtime game.

Wichita State head coach Gregg Marshall watched him play early in January 2016 and Reaves took an official visit the next week. He committed on Jan. 20, 2016, hoping he would get a qualifying score.

After qualifying, he signed with the Shockers on April 13 and went on to average 4.1 points and 1.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 11.8 minutes of playing time as a freshman.

Like Arkansas, Wichita State has just four players returning from a squad that finished 25-8. Those four players account for just 11.2 percent of the team’s minutes last season."

Reaves averaged 8.1 points, 3.1 rebounds and 2.0 assists last season for Wichita State. He made seven 3-pointers in the first half of a 90-71 win over Tulsa on Jan. 29."

Comment

• I’m so depressed.

Comment

• Sorry to see Austin go, very, very surprised and disappointed. He was at his best, to me anyway when he wasn’t the main focus. But, he was a hell of a 3 point shooter, and could create his own shot. I felt this summer he could focus on his strength training now that his shoulder surgeries were out of the way. His defense was better than people give him credit for, probably led the team in charges taken, tough kid. Sunflower article was over the top, yes he had some meltdowns at some of the most critical times, but we had a lot of veteran players who had meltdowns, or didn’t play to the level that was predicted at the start of the season that hurt this team. We had a very good year, we just didn’t make the run that we hoped. Going to miss Austin, but I’m still excited about the best class of Marshall’s to come in. GO SHOCKS!

Comment

• Austin Reaves... Life is like a box of chocolates... You never know what you're gonna get

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
                            Austin Reaves... Life is like a box of chocolates... You never know what you're gonna get
                            You just described every player on this years team...except RK. We knew from the jump what we were going to get.

Comment

• Loved Austin he was a favorite from day one, I really believe this comes down to him wanting to be a 35 minute guy and realizing that his level of athleticism won’t allow that at WSU. He lacks in many phases of the game but not shooting, toughness, grit, or basketball IQ and that’s why he is loved.
                              THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X