No announcement yet.

Austin Reaves transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, but if that's really the reason why he is leaving, he is not as tough as we thought he was. If he was only here because he had friends here and not because he bought in to being a shocker, I am glad he is leaving. In a year where we are replacing nearly everyone on the team, we need people here that have bought into the team.

Comment

• Stickboy46
      Stickboy46 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not going to trash on a kid that isn't even old enough to legally drink and call him not tough when he gave his all for the Shockers for 2 years. Leaving or not he will always be a Shocker to me.

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you really believe that is the only reason? It's the only reason anyone is willing to make public at this point. Maybe we will eventually find out the whole story and maybe we won't. Who knows but Austin may not even have been totally open with the coaches about why he is leaving.

My fear is that there is some inside strife starting at the top. This is very disturbing.

Comment

• Aargh
      Aargh commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that's become incredibly obvious.

Well... at least we have baseball to look forward to.

Too soon and wrong place for a very dry 1990's-era joke?

Comment

There were chemistry problems with the team last year. As with most players there is probably more than one reason and factor that contributed in his decision to leave. We have opportunity to bring in some high level talent and build a young but talented roster.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

I get that Austin certainly had some areas that needed work, but whether we were in the Valley or the American next year doesn't change what our roster is. Going into the season he was without a doubt option 1a. You really wouldn't have been even a little surprised if Austin was coming off the bench day one next year?
        I mean, I see your point. And Austin certainly had some great moments this season. As did SHJ. I just don't see either of them being high impact players in the American. Maybe I'm wrong.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I mean, I see your point. And Austin certainly had some great moments this season. As did SHJ. I just don't see either of them being high impact players in the American. Maybe I'm wrong.
          Reaves averaged 24mpg in AAC play, and was 3rd in the conference in ORtg on a team that finished 2nd and earned a 4 seed. I'm not sure what that is, but it doesn't seem like 'low-impact.' Don't miss the forest for the trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Really hard for me to believe he wouldn't have an impact when he averaged 9.4 ppg in conference play and shot 45% from 3 with 2.5 assists per.

Comment

As a side note, what does it mean for someone like Reaves to be "granted a release?" It's my understanding Reaves is going to have to sit out wherever he goes next year. So what's the difference between getting a release and not getting one? I've only ever heard the subject get talked about for recruits like Lomax.

Comment

• Stickboy46
                Stickboy46 commented
                Editing a comment
                I believe if we don't release him, he couldn't be on scholarship at his new school. There is zero chance that would happen as a school would get crucified for it. But yes, due to transfer rules he has to sit out a year no matter what.

Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post

Really hard for me to believe he wouldn't have an impact when he averaged 9.4 ppg in conference play and shot 45% from 3 with 2.5 assists per.
              Honestly surprised his average was that high. I did think he looked physically overmatched at times, especially on defense.

Again, I'm not married to my opinion here, but that was my initial thought. The physicality really looked like it was at a level he wasn't quite comfortable at.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• rjl
                rjl commented
                Editing a comment
                I tend to lean towards your perspective. All else being equal, Austin was on the trajectory to be the off-the-bench sharpshooter you bring in to spread out your offense, or maybe try to score a bunch of points quick. If he performed better than that, great. But the 60% probability was a 6th man shooter.

The simple fact is that when we tried to ask more of him than that last season, his game suffered.

Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
              Do we think there might be a coaching decision changing soon? That is now 11 players gone.
              While I might be in meltdown mode, and there might be a coaching change, 11 players gone is misleading. Six graduated, one declared for the NBA. That’s good! Two walk-ones left, which isn’t surprising. We had two scholarship players transfer. That’s not uncommon.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Dice260
                Dice260 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great post. It's all about perspective. Austin leaving is definitely a punch in the gut, but maybe a new team next year isn't all that bad. Coach has been too successful for me to doubt him at this point.

• ShoxRoxMySox
                ShoxRoxMySox commented
                Editing a comment
                I appreciate the perspective, and separately those things aren't all that uncommon, but together in the same off-season it seems both uncommon and concerning. Hopefully this is the last gut punch we have to take!

• jdshock
                jdshock commented
                Editing a comment
                I think this post actually goes too far the other way. Two walk-ons leaving is a little surprising. Two scholarship players transferring isn't uncommon. It is incredibly uncommon for a presumed starter to transfer.

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              As a side note, what does it mean for someone like Reaves to be "granted a release?" It's my understanding Reaves is going to have to sit out wherever he goes next year. So what's the difference between getting a release and not getting one? I've only ever heard the subject get talked about for recruits like Lomax.
              Granted a release means he can receive financial aid next year. It's pretty rare not to grant it, but schools can not grant a release meaning the player has to walk on for a season. And in my opinion it's kind crap that a school can do that given that scholarships aren't guaranteed for all 4 years.

Comment

More from kunkel:I’ve also been told the fan reaction toward Austin Reaves at the end of the season did not go over well. #watchus

Comment

• Shock Top
                  Shock Top commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He shot poor to end the year, and botched the ND game. Naturally, that will come with criticism.

He made seven 3s in a row and had the arena as loud as it was all season. Naturally, that will come with praise.

You have to be able to take the good with the bad. Just look at pro athletes; One day your the hero, the next day your the goat.

More from kunkel:I’ve also been told the fan reaction toward Austin Reaves at the end of the season did not go over well. #watchus
                Think "SUNFLOWER".

Comment

• ShoxRoxMySox
                  ShoxRoxMySox commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I missed this, can someone drop a link to what I assume is an article?

• wufan
                  wufan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m not understanding this either.

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Think "SUNFLOWER".
                Yep

Comment

Hardcore fan hate for AR at the end of last season must have been something that went right over my head. I'm not recalling, outside of a few comments here and there. Our fan base by and large LOVES AR.

Comment

Working...
                  X