Do you think this loss is as bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

With LSU and UAB coming up, this will be a great test of HCGM's coaching and motivational skills.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:
    You can have the best crew chief, pit crew, and sponsorship but if you ain't got the car(s), it won't matter.

Comment

My questions are why not have Durley in there with 16 seconds left instead of Butler? If Mantas isn't hitting 3's why not send him inside to make some bunnies and build confidence? I love GM too but those two seemed like no brainers.

Comment

Originally posted by hamshock
        My questions are why not have Durley in there with 16 seconds left instead of Butler? If Mantas isn't hitting 3's why not send him inside to make some bunnies and build confidence? I love GM too but those two seemed like no brainers.
        If I had to guess, he probably wanted Butler to give the foul if possible (which he did) – Durley was in foul trouble (I don't remember how many) and they needed him on the floor. Your guess is as good as mine on Mantas.

Comment

Admittedly, I was very disappointed after the UMKC game. It was a bad loss. It does not seem that Marshall has the horses to make his offense effective this year – sort of a square peg in a round hole deal. I really do not know what to write because I cannot believe that the team as a whole is this bad offensively. However, based upon what has happened so far this year, I now believe that we are just going to have to live with an offensively flawed team from here on out. There will be nights when they get hot but most of the time they will struggle to score. So, I have revised my expectations: (1) I just want to see effort from all the players; (2) I want to see improved defense – if they are going to win it will probably be an ugly win; (3) I want to see improved decision making from all the guards – to many TOs against UMKC they really regressed; and (4) They have to get after it on the glass. They have to be stronger. The one thing that stood out for me in the UMKC game was Kennedy describing WSU players having the ball "ripped" from their hands after securing a rebound – that cannot happen anymore. They may have out rebounded UMKC but not when it mattered.

I don't get to watch the games but I was pleased with Ellis on Saturday. He made CGM look good in the first half. I don't know how mobile this Brumagin kid is but it seemed like Ellis stayed with him, especially in the first half. That is the main positive I took out of the UMKC game. Ellis can be a real asset playing the 3. As everyone knows, he will create some mismatches on the offensive end. My concern with Ellis this year was defense. And the first time he gets a defensive assignment he did a fine job.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
            To expound on my original point: KU has some of the highest rated players in the nation, Oral Bob has none. For Oral Bob to come into Allen Fieldhouse and beat a team that was not only 3x their size but 20x more talented for 40mins was beyond impressive.

For us, a slumping, rebuilding program with a new coach, to go on the road and lose by 3 to a team that is about as big as we are but a little less talented sucks but is no way as shocking as Bob downing the Birds in the venerable Fieldhouse.

T

...8)
            FWIW I agree with the other poster that the Monmouth loss was much more embarrassing than losing to UMKC in Kansas City.

Seriously though, I don't want to be rude, but is 'most embarrassing recent loss' something you really want to compare with any program, much less one that has 21 more wins in the last season-and-a-third? I mean, that's a lot more wins. I guess it's something, though. Whatever helps you sleep better.

IMO these losses to the likes of UMKC and Monmouth are more depressing than anything.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
              Admittedly, I was very disappointed after the UMKC game. It was a bad loss. It does not seem that Marshall has the horses to make his offense effective this year – sort of a square peg in a round hole deal. I really do not know what to write because I cannot believe that the team as a whole is this bad offensively. However, based upon what has happened so far this year, I now believe that we are just going to have to live with an offensively flawed team from here on out. There will be nights when they get hot but most of the time they will struggle to score. So, I have revised my expectations: (1) I just want to see effort from all the players; (2) I want to see improved defense – if they are going to win it will probably be an ugly win; (3) I want to see improved decision making from all the guards – to many TOs against UMKC they really regressed; and (4) They have to get after it on the glass. They have to be stronger. The one thing that stood out for me in the UMKC game was Kennedy describing WSU players having the ball "ripped" from their hands after securing a rebound – that cannot happen anymore. They may have out rebounded UMKC but not when it mattered.

I don't get to watch the games but I was pleased with Ellis on Saturday. He made CGM look good in the first half. I don't know how mobile this Brumagin kid is but it seemed like Ellis stayed with him, especially in the first half. That is the main positive I took out of the UMKC game. Ellis can be a real asset playing the 3. As everyone knows, he will create some mismatches on the offensive end. My concern with Ellis this year was defense. And the first time he gets a defensive assignment he did a fine job.
              I was at the game and AE did do a good job on Brumagin. CGM was smart to put AE on instead of Cooz. Don't know how tall Brumagin is, but the extra height of AE made a big difference. On offense, AE did make a good drive to the basket. It didn't result in a score, but I definitely got the impression that all AE needs is more time on the floor and ecouragement from HCGM to be more aggressive offensively (starting inside, then going outside).

I got the same impression from Mantas. He had one move to the basket with a guy all over him and he scored, compared to wide open 3's that he missed. If HCGM can get both of these guys to be aggressive and draw more contact, I think they will start finding their stroke. More aggressiveness, more flow and motion; that will get these guys going...
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

ORU was the Mid-Con champion and they went to the NCAA tournament.

Pastries for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by thenightwatchman

Pastries for thought.
                  So if Alabama A&M went into Allen and won, your excuse would be that they were the SWAC champion and they went to the NCAA tournament?

Oook...
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                    Originally posted by thenightwatchman

Pastries for thought.
                    So if Alabama A&M went into Allen and won, your excuse would be that they were the SWAC champion and they went to the NCAA tournament?

Oook...
                    This thread is about which loss is worse. Not justification for said bad losses. Hence, his information is relevant.

I'm quite confident KU fans would win an 'excuses' thread, though. Be my guest to start that one if you have the marbles. ;-)
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

Originally posted by Indy23
                      This thread is about which loss is worse. Not justification for said bad losses. Hence, his information is relevant.
                      My information is relevant as well.

Originally posted by Indy23
                      I'm quite confident KU fans would win an 'excuses' thread, though. Be my guest to start that one if you have the marbles. ;-)
                      On a Shocker board?..

False. 8)
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

For us, a slumping, rebuilding program with a new coach, to go on the road and lose by 3 to a team that is about as big as we are but a little less talented sucks but is no way as shocking as Bob downing the Birds in the venerable Fieldhouse.

Didn't KSU get whipped by UMKC a few years back in a MAJOR way?

T

...8)
                        Actually UMKC is slightly bigger than us (nitpick). 3 guys bigger than our biggest, and their guards were bigger too.

K-State got walloped by over 40 points by UMKC (maybe they should change their name to Kansas City or U of Kansas City.... or Kansas City State....). Kansas City 59 Wichita 56 ....

8)
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Reflect.

T

...8)

Comment

Wow--

It is like Take II of last year.

You cannot lose to a team that is picked 6th in that conference. They would be picked 2nd to last or even dead last in the valley this year and the valley is down this year.

There is no excuse this is a horrible loss and Marshall better get it figured out quickly.

Comment

Re: Do you think this loss is as bad...

... as KU losing to Oral Bob at home? :shock:

Get over it Shocker Nation. All teams take poopers every now and then regardless of the talent differential. No one is taking this loss harder than Gregg. HCGM is probably in his bathroom right now spilling his guts as we speak. We will regroup. We will get better.

HCGM's resume carries a lot of weight and we need to appreciate the wins instead of expecting them. Regardless of how we do this year, next year is guaranteed to be much better!

Let's do our best to show our admiration and appreciation for this man and make him feel like he is part of a family... a family he won't want to leave when things are good again... *hint* *hint*

T

...8)
                              I can't believe I agree with Cold although I'm not for sure what he is hinting at the end.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Re: Do you think this loss is as bad...

Originally posted by tropicalshox
                                ... as KU losing to Oral Bob at home? :shock:

Get over it Shocker Nation. All teams take poopers every now and then regardless of the talent differential. No one is taking this loss harder than Gregg. HCGM is probably in his bathroom right now spilling his guts as we speak. We will regroup. We will get better.

HCGM's resume carries a lot of weight and we need to appreciate the wins instead of expecting them. Regardless of how we do this year, next year is guaranteed to be much better!

Let's do our best to show our admiration and appreciation for this man and make him feel like he is part of a family... a family he won't want to leave when things are good again... *hint* *hint*

T

...8)
                                I can't believe I agree with Cold although I'm not for sure what he is hinting at the end.
                                Hi! This thread is a year old. Wake up!

T

...8)

Comment

Working...
                                X