No announcement yet.

Do you think this loss is as bad...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KU's lowest moment of the last few years was getting upset by an NCAA-bound Oral Roberts team that outplayed us and deserved to win. We corrected a few things, went 32-4 after that game and eventually lost to UCLA in California in the Elite Eight. I wish WSU's lowest moments would turn out so well.

Why are you comparing lowest moments with KU anyway? KSU had a guy who had such lack of respect for his own home floor that he actually urinated on it during game on national television. Bam. They win.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkpl68bfCtM

Comment

I enjoyed the KU loss to ORU. I didn't enyoy last nights game. No comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
        Hey....reality check.

It's time to buck up folks!! Instead of sitting here having a "PITY PARTY", show the love and respect the players out there busting their azzes to win for you and thier university!!

We have outrebounded our opposition in 8 of our 9 games, and are allowing just 60 points per game.

We have yet to lose by more than 9, have been in every game, (except maybe Baylor, but we stayed within striking distance), and with the exception of Monmouth have not played horribly, just not good enough to win.

The offense will come around, and when it does...

Defense and Rebounding will win a lot of games, and this is not a "GIMME" year, or a year where the team gets a "PASS".

It's time to buck up, see the positives that are happening on the court, and SUPPORT YOUR TEAM!!
        I think you are the one who needs a reality check, "with the exception of Monmouth have not played horribly" Dude, we went 4 for 17 from the 3 pt. line and had 18 turnovers in last night's game. We were 4 for 29 from the 3 line in our loss to UTA. Last two games 8 for 46 from the 3 line Hello? That is HORRIBLE, in fact, that is downright atrocious.

Take off those Shocker Homer glasses and smell reality pal. This team has issues and .500 is a realistic expectation for the year.

Comment

Yes, it was a bad loss anyway you spin it.

Should we be happy about it. No.

Sould we get over it. Yes.

I'm just glad someone didn't tell me that the Shocks would hold UTA and UMKC to 60 and 59 points but would lose both games and would be willing to bet on it. I would definitely be poorer to day.

Will we get better. We almost have to. I don't think we are a great shooting team, but I don't think 8-46 in the last 2 games from 3-Point range nor the 11-19 FT shooting in the 2nd half of the UMKC game is a true representation of this team's shooting abilities either. The difference between 2 ugly losses and 2 ugly wins has been pretty razor thin.

Will we become a good team. While I think we will get better, we probably just don't have the pieces in place to be more than a middle of the pack MVC team this year.

At this point I just want to see some improvement both as a team and individually between now and the end of the year.

It would appear right now we have a team in a crisis of confidence.
          We will see how good of a psychologist HCGM is.

With LSU and UAB coming up, this will be a great test of HCGM's coaching and motivational skills.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

No KU defeat comes even close to diminishing the disappointment of any Shocker loss.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
              Hey....reality check.

It's time to buck up folks!! Instead of sitting here having a "PITY PARTY", show the love and respect the players out there busting their azzes to win for you and thier university!!

We have outrebounded our opposition in 8 of our 9 games, and are allowing just 60 points per game.

We have yet to lose by more than 9, have been in every game, (except maybe Baylor, but we stayed within striking distance), and with the exception of Monmouth have not played horribly, just not good enough to win.

Defense and Rebounding will win a lot of games, and this is not a "GIMME" year, or a year where the team gets a "PASS".

It's time to buck up, see the positives that are happening on the court, and SUPPORT YOUR TEAM!!
              I think you are the one who needs a reality check, "with the exception of Monmouth have not played horribly" Dude, we went 4 for 17 from the 3 pt. line and had 18 turnovers in last night's game. We were 4 for 29 from the 3 line in our loss to UTA. Last two games 8 for 46 from the 3 line Hello? That is HORRIBLE, in fact, that is downright atrocious.

Take off those Shocker Homer glasses and smell reality pal. This team has issues and .500 is a realistic expectation for the year.
              That is bad. That's why outside of Matt and maybe JT, we should not shoot the 3-ball.. at all... wide open or not. We're shooting it worse than SIU is - which is beyond pathetic.

We need to get it inside more and attack zones. Why keep shooting the long ball when it rarely falls? GM needs to instill this message into our team. I know his philosophy is to shoot it when you're open, but I think now we need to back off that a little bit and get closer, higher percentage shots.

The TO numbers are disturbing. Too many lazy and high risk passes that need to stop. This is getting into the 1990's type TO numbers.. :(
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

To expound on my original point: KU has some of the highest rated players in the nation, Oral Bob has none. For Oral Bob to come into Allen Fieldhouse and beat a team that was not only 3x their size but 20x more talented for 40mins was beyond impressive.

For us, a slumping, rebuilding program with a new coach, to go on the road and lose by 3 to a team that is about as big as we are but a little less talented sucks but is no way as shocking as Bob downing the Birds in the venerable Fieldhouse.

Didn't KSU get whipped by UMKC a few years back in a MAJOR way?

Yesterday I watched Central Michigan beat Michigan handily. It happens and we are FAR from being the kind of team that is invulnerable to "upsets". Until we get some consistency with our shooting we can get beat by any team in the United States including some High School teams. You still have to make baskets to win games as SIU-C has found out recently.

Bringing a completely new system to a team (especially as complicated as HCGM's) is a daunting challenge for basketball players, especially considering the fact that most athletes usually aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch.

T

...8)

Comment

Re: game

Originally posted by Sundevil Shox
                  the brooklyn dodgers mantra was something to the effect of 'we'll get them next year."

this is shaping up to be a long season from a W/L perspective.
                  "We will get them next year" has been the mantra of Fightin' Texas Aggies over the years in reference to the t.u. longhorns.

My glass is half full because help is on the way.

Comment

It is a wonder WSU fans (including me) get labeled they way they do.

I mean WSU loses to UMKC and there is a thread about KU....
                    Please realize KU is in a totally...I MEAN TOTALLY different league....like Davidson to North Carolina different league......or worse
                    Lets work on winning the MVC and then worry about KU.

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker

I mean WSU loses to UMKC and there is a thread about KU....
                      Please realize KU is in a totally...I MEAN TOTALLY different league....like Davidson to North Carolina different league......or worse
                      Lets work on winning the MVC and then worry about KU.
                      This thread has no sign of insecurity except for your post. The point of bringing up that loss is because since we are all Kansans, most will be familiar with that event and my point in bringing it up was that I think it was a MUCH worse loss than ours considering the expectations and the players on the court. Oral Bob has no business winning in Lawrence under ANY circumstances and while we should be winning in UMKC, we are a struggling team right now so it shouldn't be a total shock to lose. I'm not validating our loss, I'm just comparing a real bad loss that should elicit complete meltdowns with another one that shouldn't...

T

...8)

Comment

And if you check my post I never mentioned the word INSECURITY.....but somebody did........

thanks for proving my point.

We lost lets move on.

Comment

Originally posted by lawmaker
                          And if you check my post I never mentioned the word INSECURITY.....but somebody did........

thanks for proving my point.

We lost lets move on.
                          What was this implying:

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                            Hey....reality check.

That is bad. That's why outside of Matt and maybe JT, we should not shoot the 3-ball.. at all... wide open or not. We're shooting it worse than SIU is - which is beyond pathetic.

We need to get it inside more and attack zones. Why keep shooting the long ball when it rarely falls? GM needs to instill this message into our team. I know his philosophy is to shoot it when you're open, but I think now we need to back off that a little bit and get closer, higher percentage shots.

The TO numbers are disturbing. Too many lazy and high risk passes that need to stop. This is getting into the 1990's type TO numbers.. :(
                            WSU homer glasses? LOL! LOL! LOL! Maybe you should take off your doomsday, glass is half empty, rather complain about negatives than realize the positives.

Take all those stats, look at the results and realize 2 things:

1. versus UTA, we shot 34% and UTA Shot 51%, and we lost by 1 point!
                            2. versus UMKC, we shot better from field, better from line, but thier 3 point shooting beat us.

Coach Marshall is converting these players to his system. Most of these players will be back next year and will be required to play his system. They will have more makers next year, and the inside will open up for Durley and Stutz.

He would be doing this team, himself, and the players a disservice by trying to make them play differently than he wants them too. Now, you will have to show me where I said we would be better than a .500 team. I don't know how our team will finish, and all the predictions on here are worth about as much as an empty bottle of good scotch. Lets just go one game at a time and see how things turn out.

Marshall's first year at Winthrop included losses 19, 22, 30, and 39 points. We will know more about our team after we play LSU and UAB. But I don't see either one of them beating us by more than 10 points.

That will build the confidence back that we can play with anyone, and hopefully someone will step up and make the shot we need to win a couple games later in the year we shouldn't!!

Comment

Take all those stats, look at the results and realize 2 things:

1. versus UTA, we shot 34% and UTA Shot 51%, and we lost by 1 point!
                              2. versus UMKC, we shot better from field, better from line, but thier 3 point shooting beat us.
                              And there is one thing to say to that....THEY STILL LOST TO INFERIOR TEAMS!!!

Coach Marshall is converting these players to his system. Most of these players will be back next year and will be required to play his system. They will have more makers next year, and the inside will open up for Durley and Stutz.
                              I wouldn't count on that quite yet. That is evidenced by oversigning a recruiting class in the early period. He still has one more signing period to go through.

Marshall's first year at Winthrop included losses 19, 22, 30, and 39 points. We will know more about our team after we play LSU and UAB. But I don't see either one of them beating us by more than 10 points.

That will build the confidence back that we can play with anyone, and hopefully someone will step up and make the shot we need to win a couple games later in the year we shouldn't!!
                              I'm glad you're a glass half full guy, but losing by less than 10 points to either one of these teams just probably isn't gonna happen. They are much better than the previous few teams we have played, and look what happened in those games.

And losing 2 more in a row is gonna build confidence? As was evidenced by what happened last year, multiple losses in a row lead to more losses. And getting beat down by a couple of good teams, after losing to a couple of not so good teams is going to lead to an absolute meltdown. Throw in a very good chance of losing to Drake, yes Drake, and we have the makings of a catastrophe.

Laws of averages tell us that someone is gonna hit a shot eventually, but as long as you let teams like UMKC put over 40 on the board in the second half of a game, that one shot out of 20 probably isn't gonna help. They need to hit alot more than just one.

Call me negative, whatever you want, but I think some people on here need a dose of reality when it comes to this team. They aren't as good as everyone thinks. They aren't what we've been used to the past few years. And they just aren't big enough to play the way they need to so that they will win the close ones.

Comment

I love GM and have full confidence he will restore this program to a high level. It is not fair to compare KU's loss to ORU to our loss to UMKC however. KU can afford to lose a game like that, there is no question they'll be in the post-season. I just want to be .500 this year, a loss to UMKC, a winnable game, seriously hurts the Shox's chances.

When you have played the 180th ranked schedule, there shouldn't be any excuse to be 5 and 4 for a program coming from what is considered to be the best mid-major conference in the nation and what has been the 6th and 7th best conference in the nation.

We freakin' lost to an inferior UMKC team, we lost to a 2 - 8 Monmouth team who now has losses to Sacred Heart and St. Peter's? Ughh! And I don't care what anyone says, we should have won at home against UTA.

I'm giving GM a pass this season. He's rebuilding and I understand that. I'm a big picture guy and understand next year will be a total 180 from this season, but having hope that this team will get it turned around this season and make some sort of magical run is comical. We are what we are, a borderline .500 team and that's all this team will be.

If the Valley wasn't down this year, we definitely would have no chance of being a .500 team, so with that, I'm thankful.

By the way, our RPI is now 157.
                                Valid points all; I have felt from (almost from) the beginning that the ONLY way we make to NCAA tourney is to win the Valley tourney.... RPI wise, I think we would just about have to go undefeated the rest of the way to have any other kind of shot. Too many forces working against the Shox (and maybe the Valley) to get there any other way this year.
                                Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Working...
                                X